Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter and Mars

I am in Demark at the moment and it is clear (but viciously cold) the sky is wonderful though.  However, no telescope with me.  This morning around 8am the moon was up and little distance away lower and to the left by my eye, there was a huge light point and a smaller one to the lower left of that.  Do you think that could have been Jupiter and Mars too?

1 hour ago, JOC said:

I am in Demark at the moment and it is clear (but viciously cold) the sky is wonderful though.  However, no telescope with me.  This morning around 8am the moon was up and little distance away lower and to the left by my eye, there was a huge light point and a smaller one to the lower left of that.  Do you think that could have been Jupiter and Mars too?

Yes, it will have been them. Lovely naked eye view, Mars looks very orange in comparison to Jupiter.

Like this?

IMG_5944.PNG

Hi Stu, cheers, yes that looks like what I saw.  They were really clear in the sky and really quite pretty.  Having previously read this thread I was trying to look out for them, but its great to have someone concur esp. When I didn't have a scope on them to confirm  :-)

1 minute ago, JOC said:

Hi Stu, cheers, yes that looks like what I saw.  They were really clear in the sky and really quite pretty.

Nice, weren't they? Although it was good to view them in the scope on Sunday morning, I did think the naked eye view was every bit as good to view, colours were stronger to my eye.

18 minutes ago, JOC said:

The current SGL competition is for Mobile phone pictures!

Indeed it is. Trouble is there will probably be around a hundred entries showing almost exactly the same thing ;) Tough for the judges!

I've posted it on another forum...on a 6AM flight from Porto to Frankfurt on Dec 6, I've enjoyed a spectacular conjunction over a sea of clouds, it was sublime. Airplane windows do not make the best optical conduits, but still...my son liked it too. And then...sunrise. We were floating east throughout the flight.

Life is so wonderful sometimes, even without the scopes. :icon_biggrin:

Archived