Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader zoom 8-24 , YES or NO?

I've had three of these plus quite a few more expensive alternatives and would say yes. The Baader is excellent value for the price.

The Mark IV version is a bit smaller and lighter than the earlier versions so might suit those small scopes better.

The Baader Hyperion Zoom 8-24 Mk III is the workhorse of my about 15 eyepieces, and matches with my fast f/4.5 Newtonians very well. As Derek stated, excellent value for the price; good for travel scopes.

Have a look at the "Member Equipment Reviews"; there was an extended review of the Mk III about a year ago (tagged).

Stephan

1 hour ago, Nyctimene said:

The Baader Hyperion Zoom 8-24 Mk III is the workhorse of my about 15 eyepieces, and matches with my fast f/4.5 Newtonians very well. As Derek stated, excellent value for the price; good for travel scopes.

Have a look at the "Member Equipment Reviews"; there was an extended review of the Mk III about a year ago (tagged).

Stephan

Thanks for both your comments. I have heard also that it is quite good for double stars in that you can see the stars moving in and out from eachother. 

I believe it can be bought with a baader Barlow. as well. Presumably the Barlow can also be used with other lenses. 

I have a MK3 I sometimes use with a 80mm Equinox, it is actually overall a good EP if I am travelling very light and don't want to carry lots of EPs but you have to accept it's limitations one of which is the field of view being a tad narrow at 24 mm.  Useful though to zoom in on targets, moon and planets and would imagine doubles as well so it can be a time saver in that respect. Definitely worth having one in the collection but not as a single do it all EP to make a set of individual EPs redundant, more of a useful add on in the right circumstances.

Have the Barlow as well but rarely ever use it so could probably live without it. 

I have two of these and the Barlow (MkIII’s). For solar viewing they are great. And, they are very very convenient. 

But ....... they can’t quite compete with a box full of decent fixed length eyepieces on pure image quality. As mentioned, the 24mm end is pointless. It seems to have the same fov as the 20mm setting.

So, yes they are good. The quality of image is surprisingly good for the price. Teamed up with a good wide angle eyepiece of +24mm, and you have covered most of the bases.

Paul

23 hours ago, Paul73 said:

I have two of these and the Barlow (MkIII’s). For solar viewing they are great. And, they are very very convenient. 

But ....... they can’t quite compete with a box full of decent fixed length eyepieces on pure image quality. As mentioned, the 24mm end is pointless. It seems to have the same fov as the 20mm setting.

So, yes they are good. The quality of image is surprisingly good for the price. Teamed up with a good wide angle eyepiece of +24mm, and you have covered most of the bases.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I have a televue 25 mm I 'won' on ebay, so I could use that and then treat the zoom as a 8-20. I would be using it on my 80 mm ed , also won on eBay and probably - yet to buy- 180 mm mak, which should be forgiving of the slightly lower quality compared to single eyepieces? 

On 05/01/2018 at 22:28, JG777 said:

I have a MK3 I sometimes use with a 80mm Equinox, it is actually overall a good EP if I am travelling very light and don't want to carry lots of EPs but you have to accept it's limitations one of which is the field of view being a tad narrow at 24 mm.  Useful though to zoom in on targets, moon and planets and would imagine doubles as well so it can be a time saver in that respect. Definitely worth having one in the collection but not as a single do it all EP to make a set of individual EPs redundant, more of a useful add on in the right circumstances.

Have the Barlow as well but rarely ever use it so could probably live without it. 

Thanks. Interesting point on the Barlow. I am thinking of getting the zoom to go with my 25 mm televue eyepiece, then adding a 6 mm baader classic  single eyepiece to cover shorter FL. On the other hand, the Barlow would allow 4 mm so more flexible. 

Definite yes from me.

I use the mark III with an 80ed pro and a 70ed F6 and it is my most used eyepiece.  The convenience is a plus factor when in a remote location because it saves carrying numerous eyepieces.  I do prefer using a 2" diagonal with it rather than the 1.25" due to the size, although I believe the mark iv version is both smaller and lighter. 

Interesting to see Gina used it for Ha.  It was useless in my Lunt 50 because there was insufficient in-focus to accommodate it.  However, the Lunt 50 focus issue is well documented.  I moved it on but there are lots of good reviews in other uses so that should be sufficient endorsement.

Archived