Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fixed Hyperion EP’s

JonHigh

Hi all. Been reading the various posts about Hyperions with interest but need some help. I have the Mark 4 Hyperion zoom with the 2.25x Barlow and been fairly happy with it but have always been less keen on either end of the range (24 and 8mm). Don’t think I’m alone. I have recently been gifted the 24 and 17mm Hyperion’s and would like to complete this set of two with a third higher magnification EP - 10, 8 or 5mm? I would like to stay with the Hyperions as a matching set. OCD?? 😂 I will probably sell the zoom?! Like my photography, always preferred fixed lenses. Any pointers would be welcome… It will be used mainly with a Skymax 150 and my 102 refractor occasionally. A bit of a mixed bag of observing depending on which scope being used. F12 and F7 respectively. Also, can the 2.25x Barlow work with their EPs or just the zoom? Advice as always is appreciated.

Edited by JonHigh

I agree that the Baader 2.25x barlow will work fine with the Baader 8-24 zoom. I have used that combination. It might be worth substituting a nylon set screw for the stock metal one to avoid damage to the barrel of eyepieces it is used with though. It's also worth noting that you can't use the 1.3x option with the zoom because the optical element of the barlow will not insert fully into the zoom's 1.25 inch barrel. The same might apply to using the zoom with the fixed FL Hyperions - it's worth checking.

While I would add a 24mm SWA eyepiece to the zoom for wider low power views, at the other end (8mm) I find the zoom does really quite well and I doubt that the fixed FL Hyperion 8mm would be better there. 

I think the zoom is actually a sharper eyepiece across the whole field of view at F/7 than the fixed FL Hyperions are and with a 68 degree AFoV (measured) at 8mm the zoom is just as wide at that focal length. The 5mm Hyperion would obviously give you something the zoom does not.

Edited by John

Thanks for your comments.  And the fact I can use the Barlow on the fixed EP’s as well. Will give it a try next time out. I think I’ll keep the zoom for 8-12/16 range. 

Incidentally, I came across my old Meade 4000 Super Plossls the other day. 9.7 Taiwan, 26LP Japan, 32 and 40mm unmarked (poss Chinese) and a Telenegative 2x Barlow, Japan. How would these compare to the Hyperions or is it more like comparing Apple and Oranges? Worth keeping as I now have the others in my bag? Been heavily invested in imaging but my daughter has recently got me back into observing which I have been really enjoying again. The hobby that keeps on giving! 

Edited by JonHigh

45 minutes ago, JonHigh said:

Incidentally, I came across my old Meade 4000 Super Plossls the other day. 9.7 Taiwan, 26LP Japan, 32 and 40mm unmarked (poss Chinese) and a Telenegative 2x Barlow, Japan. How would these compare to the Hyperions or is it more like comparing Apple and Oranges? 

Within their constraints of tighter eye relief and a narrower field of view compared with the Hyperions, the optical performance of the plossls, especially the Japan made ones, would be comparable I think.

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1

I had an almost full set of Hyperions and they were excellent performers in all sizes, shortly after I switched to a set of Morpheus and they were even more excellent but I kept the 36, 24, 4.5 Hyperions which perform the same, so they are all top of the line in my eyes. As to the Hyperion zoom, I sold it and for the same price or a bit less bought 3 various zoom models fromg Svbony, I never have had to look back !  I am one lucky astronomer, IMO !  PS:  And I have to stress that I am not a ' shill ' for Svbony as has been mentioned elsewhere, lol !

Edited by LDW1

That’s great. Thank you for all your help. The Hyperions are priced at a reachable point for me just now. The Morpheus’s etc will have to wait unless I can pick up a good second hand one. 

1 hour ago, JonHigh said:

That’s great. Thank you for all your help. The Hyperions are priced at a reachable point for me just now. The Morpheus’s etc will have to wait unless I can pick up a good second hand one. 

You will like the Hyperions, they are maybe just a step below the Morpheus from my experience with them. I still own the 36, 21 and 4.5 Hyps to compliment my Morphs. That will give you a chance to upgrade but you may never want to, I did just because I wanted to, to try out something new, to experiment not because I had to as well !  Its just my enjoyment of astronomy.

It’s good to know. I think I will get the 10mm eyepiece and maybe one or both the fine tuning rings to give me more options. Although I don’t fancy fumbling about in the dark and coldness in a few months time.

The enjoyment of Astronomy - That I absolutely get!