NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

iPhone Copernicus - 27th December 2017

Stu

Beautifully transparent night last night, although the seeing was a little variable. As I'm sure plenty of you saw, the 65.9% illuminated Moon was particularly lovely, with the crater Copernicus near the terminator and some parts of what I assume are the Carpathian Mountains hanging out in the blackness. Amazing detail visible visually of the surrounding ramparts and slumped inner walls. Three central peaks were visible inside the crater which I actually managed to capture in one of my shots, attached.

There is also very distinct contrast in the surrounding area, I guess where the crater rays overlay the mare. I didn't recall at the time, but the Apollo 12 and 14 landing sites are also in this area, so all in all quite a lot to see, and a very favourable illumination.

As usual, this is a single frame taken through the Tak on AZGTi using iPhone 6 Plus and the Procam 4 app to control exposure and then PS Express to give it a little crop and tweak. Quite noisy but some nice detail showing.

IMG_5557.JPG

IMG_5558.PNG

Great image Stu, wish I could do as well with my iPhone and eyepiece, but i am too ham fisted.

I did take a look last night with the binos but it was very mushy seeing when I went out, so did not set up as the sofa, warm drink and a good book were calling as were the choccies and Mrs w.

I am hopeful that tonight may be an observing oportunity as well.

I was also out yesterday evening for a first view of the Moon through my recently purchased 1970's orange C8. As Stu reported, very good transparency but rather wobbly seeing. First impressions were that the performance is very promising and I look forward to steadier conditions.   :icon_biggrin:

Great photo Stu. As it goes I spent a good few hours on Copernicus last night! Great transparency here but rubbish seeing, bubbly as 'eck. It took great patience to resolve the ejecta but when they did come in to view, contrast was excellent, as your photo shows :)

That is a nice image and diagram Stu with an iphone. The Moon was really good last night. I thought seeing was pretty good based on my estimate (Antoniadi scale at II) and in fact I pushed my Heritage to 218X and 311X (ES82 4.7mm and 6.7mm and Baader barlow 2.25X) and it remained pretty stable. I am  now getting worried that I only appear to use the Heritage or my 15x70 Binos these days.

As you say transparency was very good as well which I found using the Apollo binos.

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

By eck Stu, for an Iphone luna image i have to say that is rather good, have you ever considered using a DSLR, you get such good results with the phone i would think you would do superb with DSLR

Thanks Jules :) 

I always just seem to forget the DSLR when I'm observing. I had the phone to hand and just took some quick snaps. I have got the adaptors I need so just need to get a bit organised ahead of time and give it a go. Watch this space :) 

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Great image Stu, wish I could do as well with my iPhone and eyepiece, but i am too ham fisted.

I did take a look last night with the binos but it was very mushy seeing when I went out, so did not set up as the sofa, warm drink and a good book were calling as were the choccies and Mrs w.

I am hopeful that tonight may be an observing oportunity as well.

Thanks Alan. Staying inside was very tempting, but opportunities are few and far between so I made the most of it. Seeing here was not mushy, but not brilliant either. Had some great views of open clusters in between moon gazing :) 

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

I was also out yesterday evening for a first view of the Moon through my recently purchased 1970's orange C8. As Stu reported, very good transparency but rather wobbly seeing. First impressions were that the performance is very promising and I look forward to steadier conditions.   :icon_biggrin:

That sounds like a good purchase Peter, the early orange C8s are supposed to be good, hope that's the case with yours.

1 hour ago, johnfosteruk said:

Outstanding iPhone image Stu. I assume that makes you today’s winner. ? 

John, I may just slip a crafty entry in and see how the judge is feeling ;) Perhaps I can bribe him with some of my Terry's chocolate orange :) 

1 hour ago, parallaxerr said:

Great photo Stu. As it goes I spent a good few hours on Copernicus last night! Great transparency here but rubbish seeing, bubbly as 'eck. It took great patience to resolve the ejecta but when they did come in to view, contrast was excellent, as your photo shows :)

The contrast in the surrounding areas was lovely, the dark patches really clear. Glad you got some decent views too.

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

That is a nice image and diagram Stu with an iphone. The Moon was really good last night. I thought seeing was pretty good based on my estimate (Antoniadi scale at II) and in fact I pushed my Heritage to 218X and 311X (ES82 4.7mm and 6.7mm and Baader barlow 2.25X) and it remained pretty stable. I am  now getting worried that I only appear to use the Heritage or my 15x70 Binos these days.

As you say transparency was very good as well which I found using the Apollo binos.

I guess it varied across the country Mark, although it seems many if us had the excellent transparency. DSOs would have been better last night without the moon, but at least that was putting on a good show.

I know what you mean, once you find a simple setup that does what you enjoy doing easily and well, it is tempting just to stick with it. No harm in that if you are enjoying yourself. I find it much less stressful knowing that I am just going to pop the Tak out on the AZGTI with my simple eyepiece set. I have everything I need attached to the Gitzo now, so just plug the tracer battery into the wiring loom and hang it off the tripod and away I go. GPS, dew heaters, Synscan handset and SkySafari via Skywire. Simples :) @John would have kittens..... cables!! ;) 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I know what you mean, once you find a simple setup that does what you enjoy doing easily and well, it is tempting just to stick with it. 

My new AZ5 tripod set up with the Heritage is so simply to grab and start observing. I tried the Orion VX8 on the AZ5 and it 'flexed' a bit. I almost wish I could get a 6" Heritage (flextube design) scope and just use that. I know somebody will say that there  is not much difference between a 5" and 6" Newt. Perhaps i should buy a light weight 6" Newt like the OrionVX6.

2 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Perhaps i should buy a light weight 6" Newt like the OrionVX6.

Not a bad idea, I guess an f4 would be pretty light and short. Wonder how much it would weigh?

I was admiring the same area in my 120 Equinox and 12" dob both with binoviewers. The 'spatter'around the crater was lovely as were the 'footprint tracks' hinted at in your pic between  Copernicus and Eratosthenes.

Great pic for the gear used ☺

Archived