Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

41 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Not exactly what the post man brought, but more like what I was "encouraged" to buy by some rather persuasive SGLers.  Effectively they bought for me while I paid! Never the less I'm very pleased.

Maxbright II 

2023-03-1216_40_10.jpg.3d77213b47c904c7452e2e703e4e382a.jpgIMG_20230312_112742.thumb.jpg.355d39f28da9c6205f90427703e5001d.jpg

Then of my own free will I bought a 30mm Ultraflat and 2" mirror diagonal. 

2023-03-1216_42_07.jpg.afbcc6e39498e86934094205b16105b5.jpg

Then i picked up some lovely free journals from The Society for the History of Astronomy.

IMG_20230311_180446.thumb.jpg.c797fee035910e485cf80ea0bde591ac.jpg

And finally a Webb Society beanie hat. (I am a member despite using only a 100mm refractor)!

2023-03-1118_56_24.thumb.jpg.604c0dad8e4afd1de794a588fc512258.jpg

It was a long journey, and costly, but getting some nice new toys and meeting a good number of  very nice SGLers, all in all it was a great Day. :biggrin:

Wow 🤩 I thought these MB II’s were unobtainium!! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Not exactly what the post man brought, but more like what I was "encouraged" to buy by some rather persuasive SGLers.  Effectively they bought for me while I paid! Never the less I'm very pleased.

That's how I've gotten my best gear lol

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, jock1958 said:

Wow 🤩 I thought these MB II’s were unobtainium!! 

So did I, but it was all designed to lead me into a false sense of security. There were a few "under the counter" Mark ll's at WideScreen. 

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

So did I, but it was all designed to leave me into a false sense of security. There were a few "under the counter" Mark ll's at WideScreen. 

Assume it also came with a nice “Under the Counter” discount Mike?? 😉

Very much looking forward to your first light reports as they are top of my wish list 🤞🤞

20 hours ago, jock1958 said:

Assume it also came with a nice “Under the Counter” discount Mike?? 😉

Very much looking forward to your first light reports as they are top of my wish list 🤞🤞

Sadly not, although I didn't ask. I was just happy to get my hands on one. 

I had first light with them last night. I found that my 35mm Ultima's don't quite reach infinity without the use of a gpc or barlow, but that's not the binoviewer or the eyepiece,  it's the Takahashi visual back. I'll need a low profile Baader click lock so I can use them at their native focal length. They should be awesome, as when I used my 25mm Parks Gold the view of the Pleiades and the Orion Nebula were every bit as good through the Maxbright as through a single eyepiece. 

I struggled with the Maxbright at first. I found the diopter adjustment to be a bit too firm and am hoping it will ease over time. I suppose its like driving a new car and just takes a little time to get used to the peddles. The only other issue I had last night was that the left hand eyepiece holder was a bit tight when inserting eyepieces. I've yet to see if I can find the cause and if it can be rectified easily.

Optically, after I'd messed around getting a precise focus and setting the viewer to my eye seperation,  I had some very pleasing views, I caught a brief view of Venus early on, but once properly dark I first tested out my new 30mm Ultraflat by first checking out the Pleiades, then M42, and then to assess the clarity of the night as much to test the eyepiece I turned the scope to look at M1. Immediately the Crab nebula revealed itself, so I knew I had a good night for some brighter  deep sky.  I wanted to make a sketch of the Leo Triplet of galaxies for Gerry (Jetstream), but first I spent my time just playing with the Maxbright and my eyepieces. Mars looked very good to begin with but the seeing started to become a little turbulent and definition was lost.  I then turned to Leo to try and find Gerry's galaxies, but to no avail. A halo of mist now surrounded me as the temperature dropped. Returning to the Maxbright again, I began to notice red fringing around stars. I was a bit disheartened at this point, and as I was frozen to the bone I decided to call it a night. Only after closing me observatory roof and before capping my scope, I took a look at the objective while using a bulb blower to remove any dust, then noticed the lens was completely dewed over. I brought the scope back into the house uncapped and let it dry out overnight. I was happier now I knew the red fringing wasn't due to the binoviewer but to the moisture on the lens. 

I was impressed by the brightness, clarity, and sharpness of the Maxbright on stars and some deep sky objects. As yet though I haven't given it a proper lunar and planetary test drive, so for me the best is yet to come - hopefully!:happy11:

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I have been irresistibly drawn to the Maxbright II binoviewers since they arrived on the market, particularly because of the eyepiece holders and the dioptre adjustment, and so ,on Saturday at PAS when I saw Mike buy his and with a few pairs still for sale, it tipped me over the edge, and I too bought one. The arrival of stock replenishments sell instantly, and I had missed out several times in the last year, so to find some for sale at the show was very unexpected...but very pleasing !!

IMG_2857.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff Steve!👍

A truly enjoyable day at PAS last Saturday was made extra special seeing you and Mike placing orders for this great new product..and finding them actually in stock!!😁

You have some amazing BV eyepiece pairs Steve, and I'm really looking forward to your first light and comparison with your other BVs when time permits..😊

Dave

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Saganite said:

I have been irresistibly drawn to the Maxbright II binoviewers since they arrived on the market, particularly because of the eyepiece holders and the dioptre adjustment, and so ,on Saturday at PAS when I saw Mike buy his and with a few pairs still for sale, it tipped me over the edge, and I too bought one. The arrival of stock replenishments sell instantly, and I had missed out several times in the last year, so to find some for sale at the show was very unexpected...but very pleasing !!

IMG_2857.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

Another satisfied customer and sounds like you all enjoyed the Astro Show. Looking forward to see how you get on with yours and if you have same bedding in issues as Mike.

• Like 1

Sadly not, although I didn't ask. I was just happy to get my hands on one. 

I had first light with them last night. I found that my 35mm Ultima's don't quite reach infinity without the use of a gpc or barlow, but that's not the binoviewer or the eyepiece,  it's the Takahashi visual back. I'll need a low profile Baader click lock so I can use them at their native focal length. They should be awesome, as when I used my 25mm Parks Gold the view of the Pleiades and the Orion Nebula were every bit as good through the Maxbright as through a single eyepiece. 

I struggled with the Maxbright at first. I found the diopter adjustment to be a bit too firm and am hoping it will ease over time. I suppose its like driving a new car and just takes a little time to get used to the peddles. The only other issue I had last night was that the left hand eyepiece holder was a bit tight when inserting eyepieces. I've yet to see if I can find the cause and if it can be rectified easily.

Optically, after I'd messed around getting an precise focus and setting the viewer to my eye seperation,  I had some very pleasing views, I caught a brief view of Venus early on, but once properly dark I first tested out my new 30mm Ultraflat by first checking out the Pleiades, then M42, and then to assess the clarity of the night as much to test the eyepiece I turned the scope to look at M1. Immediately the Crab nebula revealed itself, so I knew I had a good night for some brighter  deep sky.  I wanted to make a sketch of the Leo Triplet of galaxies for Gerry (Jetstream), but first I spent my time just playing with the Maxbright and my eyepieces. Mars looked very good to begin with but the seeing started to become a little turbulent and definition was lost.  I then turned to Leo to try and find Gerry's galaxies, but to no avail. A halo of mist now surrounded me as the temperature dropped. Returning to the Maxbright again, I began to notice red fringing around stars. I was a bit disheartened at this point, and as I was frozen to the bone I decided to call it a night. Only after closing me observatory roof and before capping my scope, I took a look at the objective while using a bulb blower to remove any dust, then noticed the lens was completely dewed over. I brought the scope back into the house uncapped and let it dry out overnight. I was happier now I knew the red fringing wasn't due to the binoviewer but to the moisture on the lens. 

I was impressed by the brightness, clarity, and sharpness of the Maxbright on stars and some deep sky objects. As yet though I haven't given it a proper lunar and planetary test drive, so for me the best is yet to come - hopefully!:happy11:

Thanks for that Mike, sounds like they are a good purchase. Once the diopters have loosened off they should be so much easier to use than the ones on my WO BV’s. 
Didn’t realise Baader do low profile click locks, tell me more?

I’m currently using their ultra short clamp which allows me to reach native focus with all my bino pairs from 8.5mm to 26mm. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Another satisfied customer and sounds like you all enjoyed the Astro Show. Looking forward to see how you get on with yours and if you have same bedding in issues as Mike.

It is going to be a while before I get a chance to use them, and as importantly for me, compare them to my DenkII bino, but  I have tried all  eight pairs of my eyepieces and all slide in perfectly.  The dioptre adjustments does feel a little stiff but works well and I will only find out in use at night, fumbling around in the dark.  I think they will free a bit with use, as Mike suggests.

• Like 2

I suppose it’s like driving a new car and just takes a little time to get used to the peddles. 

Hmmm, it’s quite a few years since I had a peddle car,  Mike 🤔

• Haha 6

I knew you had the Maxbrights gents as I witnessed the purchsing, but wow they look nice.
Dave @F15Rules was kind enough for me to look at his set during the ourchase frenzy 😉 and they are a well made item.
Another temptation for future purchases as and when funding allows, which may be a while off for me.

I will be most interested how Steve @Saganite finds the comparison between the Denks and Maxbrights.

It was a pleasure watching others spend some money as always.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I knew you had the Maxbrights gents as I witnessed the purchsing, but wow they look nice.
Dave @F15Rules was kind enough for me to look at his set during the ourchase frenzy 😂 and they are a well made item.
Another temptation for future purchases as and when funding allows, which may be a while off for me.

I will be most interested how Steve @Saganite finds the comparison between the Denks and Maxbrights.

It was a pleasure watching others spend some money as always.

Dave, bless him, brought his to the show for me to take home and trial, and I think he was happy as well when I bought mine...😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I had first light with them last night. I found that my 35mm Ultima's don't quite reach infinity without the use of a gpc or barlow, but that's not the binoviewer or the eyepiece,  it's the Takahashi visual back. I'll need a low profile Baader click lock so I can use them at their native focal length.

Hi Mike, 

Take a look at my photo below..you may be able to use the same configuration if you have a standard Tak 72mm thread on the end of your focuser tube..

image.png.d87632516e4bec158b70d957ec6488bd.png

If you zoom in to the end of my silver focuser tube, I use firstly the Baader M72-M68 slim adapter..

Into that goes the Baader Ultrashort Adapter (the one with three large and strong retaining screws each at 120 degrees spacing.

The final part you can see is the knurled threaded connecting ring from the Maxbrights, with which you connect the T2 prism (either with 2" nosepiece, or 1.25" nosepiece into a Baader 2"-1.25" clicklocks, both work well) direct into the  above Ultrashort Adapter.

The Baader T2 prism has the shortest possible light path. I actually use the T2 Zeiss BBHS prism which has 34mm clear aperture vs the 32mm of the standard T2 prism (the difference is very apparent when comparing them side by side). The Zeiss has a slightly longer light path, but I can still get native focus with no GPC or Barlow.

You can probably use other short light path configurations, but the above works well for me in the FS128..

HTH☺️

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Additional text info
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well I guess it's my fault the rains have kicked in 🌧️. Two scopes in the same week 🛒🔭! I went to PAS2023 last weekend and ended up (nay went straight there) on the Altair stand. Bought myself an Altair Starwave ASCENT 80 ED Triplet with 1x flattener and 0.8x flattener reducer. Then my loooong awaited Orion Optics VX10 with 1/10 wave optics upgrade arrived today!

I've managed to get the Starwave on my AZ-GTi mount and have a play just getting it to slew round to different parts of the room (wet outside!). Today I've been unwrapping the VX10 and getting the static balance sorted out (indoors - wet outside!) Once it dries up a bit I can get it in the obsy and start getting cables up together.

Sorry about the wet stuff

The VX10 went into the obsy this morning...

OO-VX10-install-1.jpg

Edited by fwm891
Text and photos added
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, F15Rules said:

If you zoom in to the end of my silver focuser tube, I use firstly the Baader M72-M68 slim adapter.

Hi Mike,

Ref the above post...

I've been advised that it's possible that your Taks' focuser may not be threaded with a 72mm thread, so just best check that out before investing in one..

In fact, I've just found this on a CN thread..

I have the Baader Clicklock part #2956264 (M64 for Sky90). That works fine on my FC-100DZ. I got that one as it seemed the shortest light path option to use with a binoviewer. My BV configuration is as follows: 

M64 Clicklock #2956264 -> Baader #2408191 (2" to 1.25" reducer adapter) -> Takahashi 1.25" prism diagonal -> Denkmeier Standard BV

Hope that may help further, and my thanks to Iain @jock1958 for the cautionary advice ☺️👍

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Hi Mike,

Ref the above post...

I've been advised that it's possible that your Taks' focuser may not be threaded with a 72mm thread, so just best check that out before investing in one..

In fact, I've just found this on a CN thread..

I have the Baader Clicklock part #2956264 (M64 for Sky90). That works fine on my FC-100DZ. I got that one as it seemed the shortest light path option to use with a binoviewer. My BV configuration is as follows: 

M64 Clicklock #2956264 -> Baader #2408191 (2" to 1.25" reducer adapter) -> Takahashi 1.25" prism diagonal -> Denkmeier Standard BV

Hope that may help further, and my thanks to Iain @jock1958 for the cautionary advice ☺️👍

Dave

Thanks Dave.  I'd measured it earlier today and realized the FS128 was a different thread size, but thanks for the information about available Baader adapters. Baader world can be confusing. Come to think of it, most things are confusing to me these days.

• Haha 1

Enjoying reading these latest posts on this thread @F15Rules @mikeDnight @Saganite @Alan White

Happy to  hold my hand up as being a collaborator re the MaxB BV’s. Looking forward to updates from the new owners. I’m close now to getting native binoviewing with my set with my FS128. 
Got the Ultrashort Baader adapter this morning from the postie. Recommended by  @F15rules Dave last Saturday at the show and in previous post on this thread.

Just need an hours sunshine please. Looking to do a bit of solar with them as well as the nighttime sessions. I’ll update when can. 
John

• Like 7

A large box arrived today, inside which was a large Manfrotto Holdall, inside which was a rather long tube of some age..

IMG_20230316_172105048.thumb.jpg.54b590cf70bb40df3ac660cb0764ec8c.jpg

IMG_20230316_171728808.thumb.jpg.da0c093b43084dd5ce6d5fff81259da7.jpg

A vintage 1980s Vixen 80mm F15 achromat to be exact🤦😊..

Having shed all my scopes but my FS128, this came up and I couldn't resist it, especially reading reviews of it on doubles and lunar observing..

IMG_20230316_171347242.thumb.jpg.d3166387492b66b5a0e4f0575998327f.jpg

It's a long tube (over 42" or 3'6" in old money).It is branded SBS and originated from Japan but via France. Even the dust cap has the V for Vixen moniker on it.

IMG_20230316_171509555.thumb.jpg.1d79d5a1fc2509ef45af6ad5dfe20527.jpg

IMG_20230316_171618768.thumb.jpg.96c3bd239aac9b85a0820cefba7bda33.jpg

The objective looks pristine.

The tube has marks of usage here and there but is largely good.

IMG_20230316_171821278.thumb.jpg.eae84d4b1a2f691ef41aa22ed894f7a6.jpg

IMG_20230316_171940906.thumb.jpg.abcd75bacaefea5ca2dc8fce9c773b70.jpg

A nice GSO made 2" Crayford 2 speed focuser upgrade was done over 5 years ago and the lens is collimateable too.

IMG_20230316_171449419.thumb.jpg.b9d55e5114916ffa543f4cc22e97b18e.jpg

The scope came with tube rings, and specially for Jeremy, a HANDLE!👍

I'm going to upgrade the dovetail with a longer, stronger and more rigid one made from solid aircraft stock aluminium..IMG_20230316_170346187.thumb.jpg.aaeae3d927f70e2a1910723a68ed18d4.jpg

The original 6x30 Vixen finder is present, but I have already a lovely Right Angled SW 6x30 which I will use.

I have no mount or tripod for it permanently, but for now I will use it on my Tak EM2 mount on which it should be solid as a rock.

I can't wait to test drive this old beauty!

To quote a phrase.. "F15RULES"!!😂🤩

Dave

IMG_20230316_172105048.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
Additional text info
  • Like 22

Thanks Steve, I'm chuffed at first sight..it arrived early this morning.. a large box H knew nothing about!🤦😂..

I'm in the middle of a big painting job in our bedroom so I couldn't look at it until tea time.

The first thing will be to test her out optically and see if the Binoviewers will work in it too.

I'm not entering her into any beauty contests unless I can find someone to give her a good respray, but the main thing for me with this was always going to be the optics..

The original finder was included (after I asked for it!🥴), but it's a bit beaten up and straight through..also, I think the finder  shoe may have a stripped thread as the retaining screws won't tighten up against the finder bracket. In anticipation of this scope coming I bought a mint Skywatcher 6x30 RA (not RACI) finder, so I will use that instead.

Of course, our weather forecast is rain, cloud, rain and more cloud for the next week! Sorry, guys!🤦😁.

I think the scope was worth the price of a decent premium eyepiece, so long as the optics perform and I've no reason the think they won't..

👍

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

A vintage 1980s Vixen 80mm F15 achromat to be exact

Nice find Dave, it's right up there on the border between Sidgewick and Conrady levels so shouldn't show much if any CA and be great for double star viewing. Interested to hear what you make of it once you've got it tweaked and had first light. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1