SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Lovely looking scope Dave, and like how you managed to smuggle it in without your other half finding out 🤣

I used to have large Astro items delivered to my mate across the road, unfortunately he sold up to go travelling 😩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

A large box arrived today, inside which was a large Manfrotto Holdall, inside which was a rather long tube of some age..

You're not kidding, I can't believe how long it is! congrats on what seems to be a classic beauty!

• Thanks 1

Geoptik Nadia arrived today.  Delighted and I can tell it's going to be better that the camp chair I've been using.

Seating area is a bit utilitarian but hopefully going to get it upholstered soon.  Couple marks to the varnish but nothing major.

Also got a telegizmo cover.  I keep it up the shed but the condensation can get a bit intense in winter so I wanted something to keep the damp off.  Got a dehumidifier packet in it just now, but might see about some heating as the shed does have power.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Nice find Dave, it's right up there on the border between Sidgewick and Conrady levels so shouldn't show much if any CA and be great for double star viewing. Interested to hear what you make of it once you've got it tweaked and had first light. 

Thanks Tim..

I've never actually looked through a Vixen F15 before, so I'm intrigued, as I know how good their optics are.

The best star images I ever saw, bar none, were in a little Pentax J80 F12 achromat about 12-14years ago, looking at the Mizar system.. tight, perfectly circular Airy disks for both Mizar components and Alcor, with an ever so faint single diffraction ring around each star: and the faint star between Mizar and Alcor (Sidus Ludovicanum) clearly visible with direct vision. It was like a photograph.

I did read somewhere that Carton COC Japan made F15 objectives for Vixen around the early-mid 1980s, but I can't substantiate that for this scope.

Dave

• Like 1

On 15/03/2023 at 14:07, Saganite said:

I have been irresistibly drawn to the Maxbright II binoviewers since they arrived on the market, particularly because of the eyepiece holders and the dioptre adjustment, and so ,on Saturday at PAS when I saw Mike buy his and with a few pairs still for sale, it tipped me over the edge, and I too bought one. The arrival of stock replenishments sell instantly, and I had missed out several times in the last year, so to find some for sale at the show was very unexpected...but very pleasing !!

IMG_2857.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

Congratulations... these are tricky to get hold off, but when you eventually get a pair, they are superb binoviewers 😀

Edited by HollyHound
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Got a dehumidifier packet in it just now, but might see about some heating as the shed does have power.

A heated pet blanket is a relatively cheap and low power consumption method to keep moisture at bay.

Edited by bosun21
Typo
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

I've never actually looked through a Vixen F15 before, so I'm intrigued, as I know how good their optics are.

You certainly won't have any difficulty finding focus with that tube, 1.2m focal length, wow! I had a Unitron model 142 3" f/15 back in the day and it was a fantastic scope, shouldn't have sold it. I think if you can tweak the collimation and get it spot on, then the long old Vixen will be more than capable of giving some of the modern ED80's a run for their money.

• Like 3

Well done chaps on picking up the MBIIs, they really are excellent. So good that I’m thinking of picking up a second pair for Solar Ha observing alongside the white light. That’s if I can ever be quickest on the draw with stock 🤪. Didn’t expect them to be at the show, but glad they were for you guys 👍.

For me, it was the arrival of a long awaited smartphone mount. It is called an Accuview by MoveShootMove and looks excellent. All metal construction, great range of movement in three axes, it’s like a non floppy NeXYZ! It just about fits on my 17mm Nag so has its limits but still pretty good.

I’ll post up more about it separately but seems like it was well worth the wait.

480103B2-9393-4683-93F4-EE62408AB365.jpeg

0D77943A-75FC-4739-9EFB-B62C67F1404E.jpeg

9481BFD8-72EA-4305-A9B4-60E465C892FF.jpeg

3E68FF61-71E6-4C5F-BE38-DF0B38901B8A.jpeg

86646082-87C8-4E1D-A9EF-1F014A214448.jpeg

1804B0FF-7288-472D-8C49-456123F98363.jpeg

D1832A88-63EC-4952-8438-01CCFADA2137.jpeg

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well done chaps on picking up the MBIIs, they really are excellent. So good that I’m thinking of picking up a second pair for Solar Ha observing alongside the white light. That’s if I can ever be quickest on the draw with stock 🤪. Didn’t expect them to be at the show, but glad they were for you guys 👍.

For me, it was the arrival of a long awaited smartphone mount. It is called an Accuview by MoveShootMove and looks excellent. All metal construction, great range of movement in three axes, it’s like a non floppy NeXYZ! It just about fits on my 17mm Nag so has its limits but still pretty good.

I’ll post up more about it separately but seems like it was well worth the wait.

480103B2-9393-4683-93F4-EE62408AB365.jpeg

0D77943A-75FC-4739-9EFB-B62C67F1404E.jpeg

9481BFD8-72EA-4305-A9B4-60E465C892FF.jpeg

3E68FF61-71E6-4C5F-BE38-DF0B38901B8A.jpeg

86646082-87C8-4E1D-A9EF-1F014A214448.jpeg

1804B0FF-7288-472D-8C49-456123F98363.jpeg

D1832A88-63EC-4952-8438-01CCFADA2137.jpeg

Looking forward to the review

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Mistakes can be exciting. Even looking at your box is pretty exciting to me. I don't get out much!

In my late teens all I longed for was a good 4" refractor. I'd look longingly at photo's in books that showed a contented elderly gentleman twiddling something on his long 4" frac. In 1986 I bought a Vixen 102mm F13. I'd made it! The scope was beautiful in every way. There wasn't much logic behind my longing, but they do say that love is blind. I kept the F13 on its mount in our bedroom, and with my lovely blue eyed, rosey cheeked lass sleeping at my side, I'd stare lustfully at the naked silhouette of my scope standing in the darkness. 

A few years down the line I sold it for half of the price I paid for it, and as it was being carried out through my front door, I just knew I'd done something dumb. Scopes came and went while I continued making stupid decisions. I once calculated the money I'd spent over the years in search of THE telescope. I think I'd estimated around £45,000+ had disappeared into the ether. Since then I've added in no small way to that number, and where am I today? I've effectively gone full circle and ended up with a 4" refractor. In fact the only thing I never sold was the lass who not only put up with, but understood my need for this insane hobby. Part of me wishes I'd kept my 4" F13 and the handful of Kellner and ortho's I then had, and remained blissfully ignorant of today's ED and Fluorite scopes.  If nothing else I'd have been better off financially, but I'd have missed the adventure. 

Can't wait to see your beautiful new refractor on your beautiful new mount! 

I’m pleased to hear that I’m not alone on this telescope adventure. I keep telling myself that this will be the last scope I’m selling, but unfortunately I have wandering eyes.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I’m pleased to hear that I’m not alone on this telescope adventure. I keep telling myself that this will be the last scope I’m selling, but unfortunately I have wandering eyes.

Been there and bought the T shirt!

If I were a better man I’d sell your Starfield back to you but I’m not and so I won’t,  Sorry! I’m enjoying it far too much 😃

One thing I’d say though with the more scopes I own and use the more I appreciate just how good my very first scope was (Heritage 130p). A lot of money needs to be spent to do better all round than the plucky little plastic H130p.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

If I were a better man I’d sell your Starfield back to you but I’m not and so I won’t,  Sorry! I’m enjoying it far too much

In all honesty I wouldn’t take it back from you. A sale is a sale in my mind. I am also looking at a 6” Rumak Maksutov although a frac is miles ahead in the reckoning.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

In all honesty I wouldn’t take it back from you. A sale is a sale in my mind. I am also looking at a 6” Rumak Maksutov although a frac is miles ahead in the reckoning.

Definitely stick with the frac! 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The postman brought me this little eyepiece courtesy of Mark @callisto. Super well packaged. An obligatory photo with a can of tomatoes, sorry I couldn't find beans around the house 🤣. That's a serious eyepiece.PXL_20230317_222544291.thumb.jpg.2ec961948db5a3ae0e00ab128da81aaa.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Kon said:

The postman brought me this little eyepiece courtesy of Mark @callisto. Super well packaged. An obligatory photo with a can of tomatoes, sorry I couldn't find beans around the house 🤣. That's a serious eyepiece.PXL_20230317_222544291.thumb.jpg.2ec961948db5a3ae0e00ab128da81aaa.jpg

I had one a few years back..

They're a nice eyepiece, seriously heftily built and with good optics.

I actually also had the ES16mm, 24mm,  28mm as well as the 34mm. They were all excellent EPs except for the 28mm..I found it mushy towards the edges and less sharp than the others..perhaps I had a lemon 🍋?

The 24mm was my favourite, closely followed by the 34mm - superb on clusters, Milky Way etc. A memorable view was of Albireo, pin sharp blue and golden yellow colours against a wide star filled background 👍.

Enjoy!

Dave

• Like 1

Aliexpresses finest 35 X M4 thumb bolts.  £4.49 including shipping and arrived in 2 weeks.  Bought for the Stellalyra dob but currently in the 130pds as I stole it's bolts for the dob.  Possibly a hair too long but the lid goes on without touching them.

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

I had one a few years back..

They're a nice eyepiece, seriously heftily built and with good optics.

I actually also had the ES16mm, 24mm,  28mm as well as the 34mm. They were all excellent EPs except for the 28mm..I found it mushy towards the edges and less sharp than the others..perhaps I had a lemon 🍋?

The 24mm was my favourite, closely followed by the 34mm - superb on clusters, Milky Way etc. A memorable view was of Albireo, pin sharp blue and golden yellow colours against a wide star filled background 👍.

Enjoy!

Dave

I love my 24mm for nebulas and I was lacking a low mag for the more extended clusters and nebulas to fit in. The 82 series I have are excellent in my eyes. I hope to get some clear skies soon to test it.

Kostas 

Finally had a chance to open this. Quite exciting, beautifully packaged. Will be interesting to see how it compares with the Mark I. I’ve also ordered the polarising filter to enable the variable brightness and the shortened T2 fitting to save the 30mm, both extras.

FLO only had the Photographic version in stock and I was too impatient to wait, plus I may try my hand at solar imaging one day.

CC9C6963-5207-434C-B0C4-F17DE3E1D5AC.jpeg

192E60DF-5640-401F-8F55-EEDC6913C095.jpeg

8A610115-BE35-408E-B1C6-2C9BF96C1B33.jpeg

• Like 12