Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

In what is a surprise to me the wife has been militant about us absolutely needing to get a 3D printer.  I've tried saying no, but she's put her foot down lol.

Thinking a perusa mini

I got a Facebook astro friend to print it for me. Getting a 3D printer will greatly increase the total cost of the binos! ;) 

2 hours ago, Pixies said:

I got a Facebook astro friend to print it for me. Getting a 3D printer will greatly increase the total cost of the binos! ;) 

Ah yes, but the other half thinks I've bought the 3D printer for her.  I look on that as an investment.

I tell you what though, really impressed with the tc-e2, even with only the one.  Had a look from the bedroom at Cygnus and boy howdy is that wild.  Pretty sure i could make out M31 and the double cluster.  Just hints of them but a definite something there.

My sister is off to NZ in the new year and is staying in a rural area.  I'm hoping to get them finished so she can take them and I can live vicariously through her seeing stuff.

Very happy with this.  Looks very good and shows you what objects should be visible in different sized scopes.

Has also fueled my envy of the southern hemisphere.  Feels like 3/4 of the ink got printed on their pages.

PXL_20220917_183708079.jpg

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Very happy with this.  Looks very good and shows you what objects should be visible in different sized scopes.

Has also fueled my envy of the southern hemisphere.  Feels like 3/4 of the ink got printed on their pages.

PXL_20220917_183708079.jpg

My favourity atlas of all time. Planning a nights list of objects is always easy with this and gets me pumped up with excitment but if you do not have the Deep Sky Guide to go with it I highly, HIGHLY recommend that you do. Once you see it and use it you will never be able to use the maps or imagine using the maps any other way. 

EDIT: Here's a peek at mine. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5e430eef20d0b7522f1b9943e257f51a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.50ddbea72bb33d4b712182b9f7036ede.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f721ce773bd1c70fc35670da20bc3ca5.jpeg

Edited by Simon128D
  • Like 12

12 hours ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

I love the Baader ClickLock, but have never seen them with the filter tray. That looks a great idea.

I assembled it from separate components: ClickLock and UFC is connected with M54 extension tube, with respect to the backfocus I need.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Simon128D said:

My favourity atlas of all time. Planning a nights list of objects is always easy with this and gets me pumped up with excitment but if you do not have the Deep Sky Guide to go with it I highly, HIGHLY recommend that you do. Once you see it and use it you will never be able to use the maps or imagine using the maps any other way. 

EDIT: Here's a peek at mine. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5e430eef20d0b7522f1b9943e257f51a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.50ddbea72bb33d4b712182b9f7036ede.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f721ce773bd1c70fc35670da20bc3ca5.jpeg

I'm currently slightly obsessed with sketching so this is defo in the cards.  Next month.

• Like 2

On 14/09/2022 at 19:53, Ratlet said:

My latest haul from AliExpress.

SVbony UHC filter to start my foray into that side of visual

Some M4 knurled screws which I hope will fit the secondary if my 130pds

And an m54 extension which doesn't fit.  Grabs like the first 3 turns and then jams.  Suspect that will either be scrap.  Might work as it grips well with the few turns it does get.  First lemon I boughton AliExpress.

PXL_20220914_183008854.jpg

I small update on the adaptor.  I submitted a refund request through AliExpress.  I originally sent pictures but then a video (making sure it was small enough to upload) showing the issue.  Refund issued within 24hours of the video being submitted.

I got a used copy online for peanuts. I bought it after re-reading Starlight Nights, and was interested in the first book Leslie Peltier read on astronomy from his local library. It’s a lovely book, beautifully written, with a chapter devoted to each of the brightest stars and then a section on constellations. It would be great for someone learning the night sky but is also just a really nice read if you already have a good knowledge of the night sky.

32FDF4ED-C786-4121-9BFA-D7BD97C8A23E.jpeg

• Like 8

On 18/09/2022 at 09:39, Ratlet said:

I'm currently slightly obsessed with sketching so this is defo in the cards.  Next month.

Like @Simon128DI also super recommend having both. These are books you can enjoy on a Sunday afternoon planning and scheming. I transfer the 4" and 8" targets [in the Deep Sky Guide] to SkySafari Pro lists so the books don't need to go to the scope and risk getting damaged/damp. Cheers

i should add the Deep Sky Guide is so aesthetically pleasing it is a decent armchair "fix" when nights are cloudy.

Edited by josefk
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, josefk said:

Like @Simon128DI also super recommend having both. These are books you can enjoy on a Sunday afternoon planning and scheming. I transfer the 4" and 8" targets [in the Deep Sky Guide] to SkySafari Pro lists so the books don't need to go to the scope and risk getting damaged/damp. Cheers

i should add the Deep Sky Guide is so aesthetically pleasing it is a decent armchair "fix" when nights are cloudy.

I'm having doubts now about getting the sky guide.  Until I got the sky atlas I was happy with my 130pds.  Happy as a clam.

Now I'm looking at a second hand 250 dob and thinking "hmmmmmmmm". 🤣

• Haha 1

These two boxes arrived (of course with full cloud cover 🤣)

20220920_094311.thumb.jpg.43a980a685bbad879da5d0a7f961bc17.jpg

Super quick delivery from FLO. Order was placed on Friday morning and made it to the Highlands this morning.

End of the wobble era...here is my new DOB.

The dog hates it, he is freaking out 

20220920_114945.thumb.jpg.5a6cbba143d3200d6db67011220140d1.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

I'm having doubts now about getting the sky guide.  Until I got the sky atlas I was happy with my 130pds.  Happy as a clam.

Now I'm looking at a second hand 250 dob and thinking "hmmmmmmmm". 🤣

sigh... yeah. 🤣.

I personally have a strategy for that urge - when i've completed "the lists" for 4" and 8" i will "deserve" a bigger scope...

1 hour ago, josefk said:

sigh... yeah. 🤣.

I personally have a strategy for that urge - when i've completed "the lists" for 4" and 8" i will "deserve" a bigger scope...

You are vastly outclassing my levels of self control.  I'm like the seagul in finding nemo

Edited by Ratlet
  • Haha 1

Baader Contrast Booster. Why do you want one, Clive, you don't own a refractor? Because I've heard many times that it's a great filter for Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. My views of Jupiter especially suffer because it's too bright now, near opposition.

IMG_20220921_111023.thumb.jpg.e173ddb0e19b9d2439bee48b79f5087c.jpg

• Like 10