Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

A very-late-for-Saturday postie brought me an ES 2x focal extender, courtesy of CraigT82 on here. In excellent condition and nicely packaged in a FLO outer box, although I'm a bit miffed he never unpacked the clouds  😞 Hey ho, they'll disperse at some point!

Edited by wulfrun
typo
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Knew you wouldn’t be able to resist. 😁

It is quickly becoming the most desireable alt-az mount. it’s a must have. 👍🏻

If one was inclined towards this mount, is it worth getting it with encoders and the Nexus unit pre-fitted, or can they be fitted later ?

6 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Hermes have just messaged me to say they have a delivery for me, but I was expecting anything

Welcome to my world... I sometimes forget I've ordered something until my partner pops her head round the door and says "another package" then I remember 🤣

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

A very-late-for-Saturday postie brought be an ES 2x focal extender, courtesy of CraigT82 on here. In excellent condition and nicely packaged in a FLO outer box, although I'm a bit miffed he never unpacked the clouds  😞 Hey ho, they'll disperse at some point!

Got one of these in 1.25" and 2" versions.... they're brilliant... was even able to use with the Ethos 13mm on Thursday night and worked perfectly... enjoy 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

If one was inclined towards this mount, is it worth getting it with encoders and the Nexus unit pre-fitted, or can they be fitted later ?

They advise to get the encoders fitted. You could then get the   Nexus later and then programme it to the Encoders yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, laudropb said:

They advise to get the encoders fitted. You could then get the   Nexus later and then programme it to the Encoders yourself.

Ok, thank you. Yes, I think having the encoders already on board would be useful, as I do see this as being halfway between fully manual alt/az (like my ScopeTech) and the full GoTo of my AZ Mount Pro. I'm also needing something with a decent bit of carrying capacity now, and this seems to have it all.

Going to do a bit more research, but I think this is becoming the de-facto choice for solid Alt/Az 👍

I've also got my Uni 28 effectively doing very little right now, so I believe I can get an adaptor plate for this, which will save buying another Uni 28 dedicated to the AZ100 🤔

Edited by HollyHound

13 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

I think you really really should and i'll buy your scopetech zero - hope you don't mind but couldn't resist. 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dean Hale said:

I think you really really should and i'll buy your scopetech zero - hope you don't mind but couldn't resist. 🙂

I like your approach 🤣

However, even with the AZ100, I’ll keep the ScopeTech Zero, simply because for grab and go lunar with the Mak 127, it’s the best 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

I like your approach 🤣

However, even with the AZ100, I’ll keep the ScopeTech Zero, simply because for grab and go lunar with the Mak 127, it’s the best

Got one in the basket at the minute - just hanging on till Monday to see if one comes up in the for sale section. You never know.

• Like 1

Just now, Dean Hale said:

Got one in the basket at the minute - just hanging on till Monday to see if one comes up in the for sale section. You never know.

They're really superb lightweight alt/az mounts.... my ScopeTech, Report tripod, Mak 127, binoviewer and two Hyperion zooms can be picked up with one hand and taken outside in 30 seconds, including opening the outside door with the other hand... so useful 👍

I was tempted to get another, but now that I have the CC6, I really need something again with bigger payload. I did have the SkyTee, but I think the AZ100 would effectively be an "end game" mount for this purpose 🤔

There was a ScopeTech on sale at FLO last month, so worth checking daily to see if another pops up first 🤞

2 hours ago, HollyHound said:

They're really superb lightweight alt/az mounts.... my ScopeTech, Report tripod, Mak 127, binoviewer and two Hyperion zooms can be picked up with one hand and taken outside in 30 seconds, including opening the outside door with the other hand... so useful 👍

I was tempted to get another, but now that I have the CC6, I really need something again with bigger payload. I did have the SkyTee, but I think the AZ100 would effectively be an "end game" mount for this purpose 🤔

There was a ScopeTech on sale at FLO last month, so worth checking daily to see if another pops up first 🤞

Thanks, I appreciate the advice and its suitability. Enjoy the incoming AZ100! 🛒

Edited by Dean Hale
erroneous words
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, laudropb said:

Hermes have just messaged me to say they have a delivery for me, but I was expecting anything

You probably know this, but scams supposedly coming from courier companies  announcing deliveries  are very common. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dean Hale said:

Thanks, I appreciate the advice and how its suitability. Enjoy the incoming AZ100! 🛒

Also make sure to read the notes regarding clutch tightness before mounting a heavy OTA, as it is possible to damage it otherwise... just need to be aware 👍

Well it’s not “incoming” yet, still in the final research phase, but it’s very much on the radar... this weeks astro budget however has already been blown on another incoming Ethos 😬

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, laudropb said:

With Hermes anybody’s stuff can end up anywhere. It’s like one of those lucky dips when we were kids (apologies to any Hermes workers couldn’t resist it) 😁

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Got one of these in 1.25" and 2" versions.... they're brilliant... was even able to use with the Ethos 13mm on Thursday night and worked perfectly... enjoy 😀

Do they only work on Thursdays ? 😁

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, HollyHound said:

I like your approach 🤣

However, even with the AZ100, I’ll keep the ScopeTech Zero, simply because for grab and go lunar with the Mak 127, it’s the best 👍

There’s where the az8 comes in, similar to the az100 but just grab n go 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HollyHound said:

Also make sure to read the notes regarding clutch tightness before mounting a heavy OTA, as it is possible to damage it otherwise... just need to be aware 👍

Well it’s not “incoming” yet, still in the final research phase, but it’s very much on the radar... this weeks astro budget however has already been blown on another incoming Ethos 😬

The 8?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

I will check into the AZ8 too actually, as it's the load carrying capacity that I primarily need... thanks 👍

I’m not sure how many owners there are  on sgl but I love mine. Manual only for me. It takes my 200 pds with ease and I swing it around like a garden howitzer. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dantooine said:

I’m not sure how many owners there are  on sgl but I love mine. Manual only for me. It takes my 200 pds with ease and I swing it around like a garden howitzer. 

Sounds very much like a well engineered version of the SkyTee that I used to have, and from what I can gather has slow motion controls too (which I need). The advantages of the AZ100 would the integration of encoders and ability to use my existing Uni 28 (with adaptor). However, I believe the AZ8 can also have the same encoders too, will need to check into that.

It does look a solid bit of kit... also need to check availability... I think Rother Valley sell it, but whether they have stock of course 🤔

I will research my options, but they both look very capable and good to hear yours handles your 200pds, as I have been thinking of mounting my 10" Bresser OTA on this mount too (it's within the weight limit), which would give me options beyond the dob base (assuming I fitted it with encoders/DSC).

Cheers

Gary

3 hours ago, Dantooine said:

With Hermes anybody’s stuff can end up anywhere. It’s like one of those lucky dips when we were kids (apologies to any Hermes workers couldn’t resist it) 😁

That's if you get it delivered to somebody, I'm still waiting for a very basic starter scope I ordered in April last year (I can laugh about it now but wasn't at the time) wouldn't use hermes again. 

Edited by LeeHore7
Spelling again
  • Sad 1