NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Doa! look what ive done

xtreemchaos

I'm not very proud of myself, note to brain "must take caps off before using Quark" luckerly no damage, it didn't drip down on to my new wedge, carnt belive I imaged thismorrning with it on ,only noticed when changing to night set up.. oh well we live and learn, but do I ... charl.

DSC02303.thumb.JPG.ed073007f5e832b6eee5dae2beaedef9.JPG

DSC02304.thumb.JPG.07ba636bcc14986736b981d8e09c6e9e.JPG

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done the same too in the past. :BangHead:

You might want the give the ERF a careful clean ans it might have had smoke or fumes deposited on it.

It also shows how much heat is getting through whatever filter you are using on the diagonal. I switched from an IR/UV filter to a Baader 35Nm hydrogen alpha filter and it cut down the IR immensely.

thanks Zakalwe, glad to know I'm not on my own mate, I gave everything a clean with wonder fluid and had a close look with my 20x oculars and it looks clean.

I was doing well this year for accidents until today, I think these things happen to keep us on our toes. I imaged for a hour and a half with it on and changed scopes but I keep the wedge ERF and quark together so didn't spot it until changing everything for night imaging. charl.

Images like that are scarey.  I have a home-made filter that fits on the OTA and I keep it in a special box and  check it for pin-holes before using.  I also tie it on the OTA and never add on the finderscope to the OTA just to be on the safe-side, but shots like that in the OP are a stark reminder not to take chances with our star.  It does make me wonder what sort of risk I take when I use something that I made myself! (I did buy a sheet of that highly expensive foiled sheet to make it with though).

I take it all you damaged was the dust cap?

Thanks for the reply Charl.  I see now, for a minute I though the dust cap was covering the bit you look in to, and I couldnt figure out how this would ever be safe!  But yes the light goes through the Quark then to your eye/camera!

Crikey !!!!!!   ...  I thought it was the Large Hadron Collider that separated Quarks......   So glad to hear no serious damage done, phew.....!!!

Look after yourself Charl,  I rely on your Solar posts to know what is going on.

Sean.

Archived