Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW AZ - Gti mount firmware update??

hadyn42

Hello All

Just opened the box with with my new SW AZ Gti mount and set it up in the lounge last night to test it out. I was using a power lead from my 13.8 volt PSU and all was working well. I was using my Ipad2 with the Synscan app and followed all the instructions posted on this forum. I was using the pro version of the app, it seems like a "great little grab and go mount" I even tried out my HEQ5 pro handset which worked well too. Not tried the Skysafari app on my Ipad2 as I know that there are some problems there...

I was just wondering how do I find out what firmware the mount is using at the moment to see if it needs updating? I have downloaded the relevant firmware (Version 3.10 -
 dated Oct 17, 2017) If anyone can help me please in how to update the firmware etc it would be gratefully appreciated, thank you?

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

The motor control firmware uploader can be found here (mc firmware uploader wifi) .

Instructions provided with the uploader

This application is used to update the motor controller's firmware of a Skywatcher telescope mount, which has a build-in Wi-Fi module or an external SynScan Wi-Fi dongle.
1. Disconnect the ethernet cable from your PC.
2. Let you PC join the Wi-Fi network provided by the mount's build-in Wi-Fi or an external SynScan Wi-Fi dongle.
3. Run MCFirmwareLoader_WiFi.exe
4. Use the "Browse" button to load the new firmware file (*.MCF) for the mount's motor controller.
5. Click "MC Version" button to check the version of the motor controller; or,
   click the "Update" button to load the new firmware to the motor controller.
6. Re-try if the updating fails.

17 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The motor control firmware uploader can be found here (mc firmware uploader wifi) .

Instructions provided with the uploader

This application is used to update the motor controller's firmware of a Skywatcher telescope mount, which has a build-in Wi-Fi module or an external SynScan Wi-Fi dongle.
1. Disconnect the ethernet cable from your PC.
2. Let you PC join the Wi-Fi network provided by the mount's build-in Wi-Fi or an external SynScan Wi-Fi dongle.
3. Run MCFirmwareLoader_WiFi.exe
4. Use the "Browse" button to load the new firmware file (*.MCF) for the mount's motor controller.
5. Click "MC Version" button to check the version of the motor controller; or,
   click the "Update" button to load the new firmware to the motor controller.
6. Re-try if the updating fails.

Hello Peter

Thank you very much indeed for your reply.

Very good instructions indeed. Sorry if I wasted your time Peter, just this moment extracted the loader and firmware software and seen the instructions there...

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

bought myself a Windows laptop, to have more application options for AP, etc...

So coming back to this, i've downloaded the firmware loader and clicked the MC Version button and it tells me 3.6.A5 that seems more recent then the 3.1 Firmware i'm about to load :help:

Any thoughts ?

• 2 months later...
On 2/9/2018 at 14:19, Miguel1983 said:

So coming back to this, i've downloaded the firmware loader and clicked the MC Version button and it tells me 3.6.A5 that seems more recent then the 3.1 Firmware i'm about to load :help:

Any thoughts ?

Hello Miguel1983

How did you do with updating your firmware?

If you were successful, could you please advise.

As I have just received my AZGti and also have the same v3.6.A5

I would like to update the to new AZ/EQ dual mode (experimental) firmware they have just released 20/04/2018

Unfortunately, I keep getting the "Failed to update firmware, power cycle the mount and retry" or words to that effect.

Thanks

Del

On 27/4/2018 at 04:01, DelBoy1967 said:

Hello Miguel1983

I would like to update the to new AZ/EQ dual mode (experimental) firmware they have just released 20/04/2018

Unfortunately, I keep getting the "Failed to update firmware, power cycle the mount and retry" or words to that effect.

Thanks

Del

Hi, 

i’ve also just loaded the AZ/EQ firmware, i had no problems during update, i’m sorry to hear about your troubles updating, have no clue about the how and why dough.

have you followed the procedure exactly ?

• 1 month later...
On 27/04/2018 at 03:01, DelBoy1967 said:

Hello Miguel1983

Thanks

Del

Del

Don't know if you got this sorted, I had the same issue. Upgraded to 3.10 first then to 3.11 and all went OK second time around.

Good luck

• 4 months later...

I have also had problems uploading firmware. I used my laptop to install and try the experimental EQ\AZ firmware. This worked but I found various alignment issues so I decided to revert to the original firmware.  I got repeated can't connect to motor board power off and retry message. I was tearing my hair out when out of desperation I decided to try the process on my wife's laptop. Bingo, it worked. However, the red led on the mount no longer flashes!

I have just tried to update to the latest firmware and had exactly the same problems using my laptop. Used the wife's and it ll worked smoothly. The LED still doesn't blink though.

I am guessing there is a corrupt wifi connection on my laptop although the firmware loader shows the installed mc version - it just won't update it. Anyone got any ideas? And why has the led stopped blinking?????

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I posted this in the other thread;

"Just thought I'd add some encouraging findings to this thread, as I managed to get out of the 'Firmware Update Failed' cycle.

The beta firmware for the EQ mode 'AZGTi_RightArm_AZ_EQ_V0316' would not flash, failing at different percentages during the update (I think I tried about 6 times, each time trying to fight back the tears ? ).

I then tried to flash the normal firmware 'AZGTi_motor_controller_firmware_0316' and it worked at the first attempt. I tried the EQ firmware again and that worked first time too. 

So don't give up if your GTi does get stuck in a failed firmware update cycle - try different firmware versions."

Ady

PS - any others had this success? 

Edited by adyj1
Added ps
  • Thanks 1

Adey

many thanks for the advice and taking time out of the festive celebrations to help! Unfortunately I think I have made a beginners mistake, during the process when the update failed the instructions told me to 'power down' the motor controller (or something very similar) and being in the Christmas spirit as it were I switched off the unit. From my previous experience in life and working with printers/copiers I was always told never power down during a firmware update.

I now have a unit which although is sending out a WiFi signal its SSID has changed to ESP_ followed by a number which is probably the WiFi manufacturers chip name. The unfortunate thing is that although I can connect to this signal and have set it as a home network type the software updater refuses to connect to it so I am stuck! I have e mailed FLO and will post the outcome here in case some other poor soul runs in to this problem, or if I cure it in the meantime (fat chance).

So its back to lugging the Celestron Evolution around and doing my back in!!!

Happy Christmas

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks @adyj1 I upgraded last night ?  I hadn't tried and failed before, but by installing the normal upgrade first and then the EQ mode it seems to have updated without issue.  Now if I could only work out why my windows 10 laptop will not install .net framework 3.5 as required by ASCOM I might be able to get my new EQMod cable connected and eqmod working before heading north tomorrow.. ?

Helen

9 hours ago, williamnohair said:

Unfortunately I think I have made a beginners mistake, during the process when the update failed the instructions told me to 'power down' the motor controller (or something very similar) and being in the Christmas spirit as it were I switched off the unit. From my previous experience in life and working with printers/copiers I was always told never power down during a firmware update.

I know what you mean, but I would say you were just following instructions... Every time my update failed - sometimes after as little as 5% - it said to power on and off. Luckily for me, it always returned with a SynScan (no number) Wi-Fi SSID. 

Perhaps try the 4-hr reset and hope that the normal SSID returns. [4-hr reset is to switch on the mount and leave for at least 4 hours without connecting to the WiFi (not a problem for you - you can't ?), then power off and on] 

Good Luck! 

Ady

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

to all those with a Sky watcher Gti mount. Mine like many others was stuck trying to update to V3.16 and with no Wi Fi signal to communicate with I was up a creek.

FLO loaned me a Sky watcher dongle and I have managed to do the upgrade however this was not a piece of cake and the update kept failing. Tried both versions with it bombing out at various stages. Tried a different location as there is a lot of Wi Fi traffic around still no joy. In desperation I left it updating and went in search of my dreaded Win 10 laptop just in case. When I returned hey presto it had completed the update to V3.16 and all is working. My experience with this has put me off for life in doing wireless updates. If you are stuck try walking away and don't look at it!!!! maybe I was sucking up all the wireless energy around.

If I get any more problems I will keep this page updated

Good luck

Bill

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve had my az gti mount for 18 months and it’s worked great. However in the past month the synscan WiFi stopped being shown (just got the esp one which doesn’t work). Since I normally use the handset controller I wasn’t in a rush to sort it out but wanted to be able to use it for solar and for quick WiFi setup as well.

I got a WiFi dongle today and have managed to get the WiFi firmware downloader to run. So far I’ve reached 75%, 66%, 5%, 96% (!!!), 80%, 11% before the update failed. Hopefully it will eventually update but certainly I’d suggest if your az gti Mount is working fine then I’d not bother with a firmware update. It’s a frustrating process to say the least ?

Update: just completed the update after about the 10th attempt - hurrah! Just tried the mount and I have my WiFi and solar tracking back - success!!

Edited by GavStar
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone! Unfortunately, i have the same issues as you. Im stuck in the position when the mount is only blinking 3 times over And over again. I just dont know what to do about it. Please help, Im desperate!

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi All,

Here is how I recovered my mount from the dreaded firmware-update 3 lights.  My update failed over wi-fi and the Motor control update said reboot the mount. I did so and i immediately I was faced with the dreaded 3 flashes. The SynScan SSID was no longer being broadcast and I was only seeing the ESP SSID which you can connect to but is effectively dead for updates.  3 days of trying to do the 4 hr reset and lots of googling later I was resigned to having to either buy a USB dongle, a WI-fi dongle or a new MC board.

I thought I would take 1 last shot at updating with a direct FTDI cable that i made cheaply myself and I can confirm that works perfectly.

Items you will need are :

FTDI FT232RL USB to serial UART interface 3.3 V - Do not use a 5 V or you will damage the mount - I used 1 with the cable attached as i will use it to control the mount afterwards but any 1/2 decent 3.3C FT232RL adaptor will do that has windows drivers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JGSXW8X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.   - This cable also has a good diagram of the pinouts and cable colours.

RJ 12 Plug  and cable 

I used this as it makes wiring dead easy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VBESTLIFE-Ethernet-Terminal-Splitter-Connector-default/dp/B07DS9D4SV/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=rj12+screw+adaptor&qid=1594759786&sr=8-3

Windows Motor controller Firmware loader - USB dongle version from the Skywatecher website version 1.74

The relevant AZ or EQ firmware .mcf file for your mount from the skywatcher site

The wiring for the plug is as follows

FTDI Black (GND) to RJ12 pin 5 GND) 

FTDI Orange (TXD) to RJ12 pin 4 (RXD) 

FTDI Yellow (RXD) to RJ12 pin 2 (TXD) 

The Pinout looking at the mount for the RJ12 is in the Skywatcher manual

image.png.8c3fdfcd5cc8f048f90a034ff8400dcb.png

Once I made up the cable and TRIPLE checked the wiring I plugged it into the Windows 10 PC and waited for the windows drivers to load. If they don't go to device manager  in Windows and find the FTDI USB serial convertor and select update driver from internet. Once drivers are loaded look under COM ports and you should have a USB serial port Note the COM port number.

Fire Up the Synscan Hand Controller PC-Direct / USB dongle  ( NOT the the WIFI version) version of the Motor Control Firmware loader. Turn off Auto-detct COM Port. Turn Off use Synscan Hand controller. Enter the COM port number you discovered in Windows.

Select MC version it should say it can't read the version but its ready to update.

If you get that response, select the firmware file you want to flash and then hit Update. It should run the update and then say update complete.

Power off the mount remove the cable and power the mount back on. You should be good and the SynScan wifi mount should be visable and you should have normal LED activity.

You also now have a direct control cable if required all for less than £ 15.00.

This worked flawlessly for me. Hope this helps.

Edited by andyonroad1969

• 6 months later...
8 minutes ago, Albut said:

Has anyone an answer to how you can find out the current firmware version installed on the az gti mount. Can it be found in the loader app or synscan pro app? 

Connect your phone to the mounts WiFi, start up the Synscan app then press the "i" icon in the top right of the screen next to the chevrons.

Then scroll down and the motor board firmware version is indicated there.

Ade

• Like 1