Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's the biggest scope you've mounted on a tripod?

My 5" F15 D&G Optical is the largest scope I have mounted on a tripod, by a long way. The EQ6  handles it easily, but  on the tripod, the result was not acceptable to me, as the damping time was in excess of 4 seconds and the slightest touch would set it quivering. The second picture shows it mounted on my home made pier, solid as a rock, and damping now 1.5 seconds. A very fine and beautiful telescope  of 2 metres length:happy11:

1465419939741.jpg

IMG_0002.JPG

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/05/2017 at 17:33, Stu said:

I think Derek (DRT) still has a 12" f4 used on an AZEQ6 fairly successfully.

Yip, it is pretty stable and I use either my Altair 152 or C11 on the other side of the mount. The problem with this sort of set-up is the height of the eyepiece. I hate using steps when observing so don't often use this set-up.

I don't have any really big telescopes, but I did put my dual rig on an HEQ5 once at Astrocamp which was actually just slightly overloaded for imaging, but it did cope with it.   ED120 + ED80 + Guidescope mount + 2 CCd cameras and electronic filter wheel is quite a bit of weight. 

It's this set up except the photo shows the scopes mounted on an NEQ6 at home in my observatory.

Ignore the date on the photo, I keep forgetting to re-set it. 

rjC4PQWGx4IyAJM8x-jIfu2AcpJ4HQFUMxs1B9LY

The Astro-Physics 180mm f/9. I used to paddle across a damp lawn and heave the thing onto an Astro-Physics AP900 which sat on a very clever tall tripod which (I think) Rob Miller had made. The killer wasn't the weight, but the high mounting position - that's a long tube, with the weight all at one end. One winter it never got taken out at all. So I traded it for a smaller model.

I miss that 7 inch still, or at least the views it gave. But I don't miss that moment of fear when the tube first landed on the saddle and the whole thing shook, nor do I miss staggering in at 2 a.m. with the thing wringing wet.

1 hour ago, Neil Mack said:

The Astro-Physics 180mm f/9. I used to paddle across a damp lawn and heave the thing onto an Astro-Physics AP900 which sat on a very clever tall tripod which (I think) Rob Miller had made. The killer wasn't the weight, but the high mounting position - that's a long tube, with the weight all at one end. One winter it never got taken out at all. So I traded it for a smaller model.

I miss that 7 inch still, or at least the views it gave. But I don't miss that moment of fear when the tube first landed on the saddle and the whole thing shook, nor do I miss staggering in at 2 a.m. with the thing wringing wet.

Sounds scary Neil! Any pictures of this beast?

3 hours ago, MattJenko said:

This is a frozen 10" Skywatcher 250px and a Megrez 72 on a Skytee, which was pushing things a bit.

gallery_37194_3274_161526.jpg

That SkyTee might have been okay, though the tripod looks like an aluminium EQ3-2/AZ3 tripod?  I had one of those with a 5kg Evostar 120mm, 1000mm FL and an EQ3-2 and there was quite a lot of vibration at high mags!

Archived