SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from a new member

Rockeyes

A quick hello to all on the forum from Cambridge

Kids have grown up and looking forward to eventually taking up the hobby of astrophotography. This forum looks like a great place to start, so here I am :)

Still pondering over equipment, so I have a long road ahead, but looking forward to learning and chatting to you guys.

Hi Rockeyes and welcome to SGL. Choosing the right scope and photographic accessories for AP, if you are not sure, might just become a bit overwhelming. In the end a lot will depend on your budget, but one of the most popular setups, centres around using an 80mm ED/APO telescope, mounted atop of such as the Skywatcher HEQ5 mount, with an appropriate imaging camera. However, such will make very big holes in your pockets and you may not want to stretch your finances that far to start with.

There are many other ways to take piccy's of the night sky, which are much less demanding on the pocket, a bit of research among the imaging and photographic sections of the forum and question asking, should provide you with some answers, but there is a big warning on the label of the AP tin, "this section of the hobby can become very addictive".  Hope you find what you are looking for, enjoy the forum :) 

Welome to the SGL.

I only observe visually  (for now) but there are many folk here well into the astro-photographic side of the hobby. You'll be in good hands here, its just up to you how often  and when you ask the question? 

Thanks all for the welcome and advice.

I've got a Canon D7 so I will use that to start with.

Looking into purchasing either an HEQ5,NEQ6 or a EQ6R first to get the foundations set and maybe getting a mount of some description to attach the camera directly whilst I look for a scope.  The 80ED/APO is looking favourite at the moment. Is there any advantage going to 100/120 ED/APO?

Common sense as a newbie would tell me to downgrade a bit (cost wise) but that's probably not my strong point :)

Hi and welcome to SGL - If you are thinking of taking up imaging then you have come to the right place and at the right time ....... before you've bought anything!! If you think that galaxies and nebula's will be your bag then get hold of the book 'Making Every Photon Count'  available from the FLO website in the book section. Read it once, twice and thrice..... then think about what you need and why...... if you don't know then read it again. Seriously, it's THAT good and THAT important.

If you are thinking of planets, lunar or solar imaging then discount the book as you will need very different equipment for this area. Sadly not one setup does it all. Have a look in the imaging section, see what people are doing and they generally list the equipment it was taken with. That will give you a good idea of what works well. Be realistic about what you want to achieve and bear in mind as well that it can take MANY hours to just process one picture.......This is something that is often not mentioned, but takes up a huge chunk of time.

Hope that helps - Don't be put off... it's a GREAT hobby!!!

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Edit- apologies i diddnt read the astrophotograhy bit! My bad ....../Hi buddy, all the best. I learned everything from here. My best advice is dont jump over your head. Dobsonians are deffo the way to go, skyliners. But think about your garden, where you will take it, phsycal ability! I got as a beginner cos i was so excited a 10" dobsonian. Absolutely fantastic scope. But wish in retrospect i got a 6 or 8 inch as the 10 is a beast and not in my opinion suitable for quick observing. My own fault :) i hear the 8 inch is great bang for buck bud 

Hi Rockeyes,

I too am a new member (5 mins ago!) but have been using this site as an outsider for a couple of months for advice and from my experience it has been invaluable. The wealth of knowledge and tips and advice from all the members in the posts i have read have guided and spurred me on to getting my first (proper) scope, skywatcher dob 8in. I think you will certainly find that this is a forum you need to be part of.

Got my scope today, after a good week of clear skies....cloud and forecasts of cloud for the next week :( but had a break in the clouds earlier and was already setup and aiming in the direction of Jupiter....oh my God it was awesome, even with poor viewing, being able to view it through a decent scope was amazing, could make out different bands in the clouds and 3 of the moons. Can't wait to get viewing in good conditions.

17 minutes ago, legrandchien said:

.......my first (proper) scope, skywatcher dob 8in

....and why choose a scope like the 8" ?

The results speak for themselves when conditions allow, good choice of scope. I have also considered an upgrade, but I think I'm going to keep this one as long as it lasts, its that good!
Get the 8" to a proper dark site, no man-made light pollution and be even more inspired, although with regards to the OP their not much good for  astrophotography, unless the Dob has tracking.

Welcome Rockeyes from land down under. Have a Skywatcher ED80 on an EQ5 mount for my astrophotography. Initially started out with a manual Skywatcher 10" collapsible Dob. Before rushing out and purchasing a scope, go along to your local club. Most club members happy to show you what they have, and clubs also have loan scopes as well.

Welcome you need to consider your budget then work out what you like ,pop to an astronomy shop have a good look then buy the biggest shiniest one thats way over budget ,joking aside have a good look a sw 130 pds on a Heq5 pro is a good starter set up for astrophotography ,horses for courses pop to a locol, astro club have a good look before commiting :hello2:

Archived