Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best Telescope for Sky-Watcher AllView

It has a 5kg capacity, not 4kg. That being said I am now leaning towards this one:

https://explorescientificusa.com/products/80mm-apochromatic-refractor

or

http://skywatcherusa.com/maksutov/sky-watcher-maksutov-cassegrain-102mm.html

3.4 and 3.5 kg respectively. The main difference I can see is the 80mm frac will have a wider field of vision combined with ok light gathering and the 102 mak-cass will have better light gathering with a smaller field of vision, and please, feel free to correct me if I have this backwards or some other way wrong. I feel like I would rather have the 80, but I can get the 102 for about 1/3 the price. 

This whole hobby seems crazytown at some points. Mounts for 10k, lenses for many $1000's as well. I am well familiar with optics and their costs but a mount for 10k or more to hold a 40lb device blows my mind.

Anyway, back to meaningful discussion. Just by cost alone that 102 is calling my name. 3.5 kilo's leaves me 1.5 for accessories. TBH I have no idea what I might add to this other than eyepieces and they can't weigh all that much. I have the adaptor to mount my camera but I have a Lumix m4/3 camera that doesn't weigh but 1/2-1kg (these english to metric conversions in my head may be off, on another side note why does England use metric and America use English weights and measures? but i digress)  and then I looked it up for the camera  17.1 oz (485 g)  decent guess :)

So, yes I know it's ultimately my decision. I know it will not be the end all and be all of my telescope purchases if I stick with it. But I also realize that like Jon Snow, I know nothing. Therefore I will gladly accept any advice given, weigh it against the conflicting advice, run it through my own prism and then make a decision.

But I'm pretty sure it will be the 102. It is very inexpensive ($305) and for that price I could get that and then save for the ED80 down the road. I just saw the equivalent Orion is even less. How would they compare?

thoughts?

P.S. I read the what to expect and it is fully within my expectations. In fact with the 103 mak-cass I would expect less than what was shown in those pictures. That's ok, I just want to get started. The sun is shining today and I might even be able to see something tonight :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please note that it's the 127 mak OTA that's about 3.5kg not the 102. There may be a slight difference depending on which finder is used. Also a dielectric diagonal will be heavier that the one supplied. 

Looked at some US sites and they're showing the wrong weights for the OTAs. Think they're showing the boxed weights.

John

yeah i was thinking of stepping down because of all the weight concerns. would i be really unhappy with 102 vs the 127? also the orion is much less expensive, im assuming this means much cheaper :)

but again, they could be functionally equivalent

also found this for $260 Orion 9825 Apex 127mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope

that seems really low and a worthwhile step-up if the Orions are any good

The 127 would give 55% more light gathering compared to the 102 according to Skywatcher's info so quite a bit more. You could keep weight down by using a red dot finder and using the stock diagonal. 

I'll go and weigh the OTA with the stock diagonal and red dor finder now to double check.

John

welp, patience has never been my strong suit. I bought an ope box/used from amazon. The price was right and if the condition is not, that's the joy of amazon prime. It was shipped and provided from Amazon, and I double checked the return policy. Either I got a great deal, or I have to drive 10 blocks, RMA in hand and re-start the search. Here's hoping it's the former. 

At 8.6lbs I feel good about this. Might add some sandbags to the stand to even it out a bit.

Now to research eyepieces and finders.... although I will wait on more purchases till I see the quality of this open box item ;)

thanks for all the input, time will tell if I am over taxing the AllView

Now, suggestions on eyepieces/finders? :clock:

6 hours ago, docsimple said:

So the 5kg weight limit is from Sky Watcher, although tbh they said 11 lbs. 

any input on this scope?

Orion 9825 Apex 127mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope

5kgs = 11lbs.

The Orion Apex 127 Mak is the same as the Skywatcher / Celestron 127 Mak. Synta sell telescopes under the Skywatcher brand name and also own Celestron, many of the smaller Celestron telescopes being supplied by Synta. Orion (US) also obtain many of their products through Synta and sold under their own brand name.

That scope looks basically the same as my 127mm. If it is just an 'open box' it should be fine. If it comes with the 45 deg diagonal, you will be wanting to buy a 90 deg star diagonal. You will need some higher power eyepieces - but at f12 a couple of good Plossl of around 15mm and 8mm should suffice, though you can spend more.  If you don't like the supplied finder, try a 'red dot' finder instead - they are cheap and work well.

if the stand wobbles too much, try shortening the tripod legs, or hang a weight from the underside of the mount.

yup has a 45. Also has a 25 mm Plossl, good for.... ? Looking at earth-based objects? My buddy loaned me a meade with a 9mm meade eyepiece. That will carry me till I recover from a week of vast expenditures making this stuff workable. I could have stopped at the AllView and ultra wide angle lens for my camera but nooOOOoOoOOoo I had to get a battery bank, telescope, t/t2 mount for the camera, 2x barlow with camera thread adaptor......

And I still need a 90 degree diag + a couple more eyepieces. I can't say there was no warning. This stuff is expensive and I have a lot of the less expensive parts. LoL, now for the hard part :hello2:

.... waiting for clear skies! I see most of you are in England and Scotland. I undertsand you have similar weather to the Pacific Northwest. Soggy, and will remain so till July. But we have a cheat, 3 hours over the mountains gets you to high desert. It has clear skies something like 300 days a year. The mountain passes have gotten 3 feety of snow over the last week but I'm brave. I'll be heading there Monday with a car full of grade school students :) What could go wrong?

Again, I thank you all for the words of wisdom.

I'd make a dew shield the front element can be a dew magnet you could use an old camping mat to cut up.

You'll enjoy low powered eyepieces like the 25mm as these are easier to use to find stuff and some stuff is quite big so you'll wont always want magnification I'd add a 32mm to a future list.

I'll look up the dew shield thing, I'm guessing its just a foam pad over the lens? Oh, its a shade cover. Too bad the don't have a screw on like on my camera lenses.

Also, does $36 sound reasonable for these?

1. Celestron 25mm MA - Sharp and good eye relief.

2. Wide Angle Konig - 19mm - Not sure if its authentic Konig or not. Works great during day time spotting but suffers internal reflections during the night time on very bright objects.

3. Celestron 9mm Plos

Stick with the 25mm you have coming with the telescope and the loaned 9mm that will let you get used to your new telescope then you can read more about eyepeices and look at what other's might have bought with the same telescope. There is lots to consider, eye relief, apparent FOV, magnification, construction type, rubber tops or twist up, glass wearer or not etc.

link here

now you've gone and done it!

https://www.amazon.com/Baader-Planetarium-Hyperion-Clickstop-Eyepiece/dp/B0018IUJLI/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489264714&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Baader+Planetarium+Hyperion+8-24mm+Click+Stop+Zoom+-+Mark+III+1.25"+Eyepiece

sadly I cant justify an eyepiece that costs more than my scope and stand... yet :)

but maybe something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Meade-Instruments-07199-2-24-Millimeter-1-25-Inch/dp/B00020XDKW/ref=pd_sim_421_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00020XDKW&pd_rd_r=V6WZEDXRR2XKQ7F6SPG8&pd_rd_w=uoz3J&pd_rd_wg=XeJOi&psc=1&refRID=V6WZEDXRR2XKQ7F6SPG8

I have a 2x Barlow with a T adapter arriving soon and will be ordering a moon filter next. They run $17 for the Meade 13%, $27 for the Orion 13% and $32 for the Orion Variable percentage. Is the Meade as good as the Orion? If the Orion is the way to go I can't see not adding the extra 5 spot for the variable. Also saw this one, cheap and folks seem happy:

https://www.amazon.com/Variable-Polarizing-Eyepiece-Telescope-Polarizer/dp/B0143M8BFQ/ref=pd_sim_421_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0143M8BFQ&pd_rd_r=WS4413CXZ3V7DEJS94ZC&pd_rd_w=Yzv7C&pd_rd_wg=jlSB4&psc=1&refRID=WS4413CXZ3V7DEJS94ZC

Then I need a 90 degree diagonal. Any suggestions here? I have read about them and I think I have to cave to the needs of my bank account and go, not cheap, but inexpensive! 

Suggestions? I would prefer sub $50 range, that's much less than your 50 GBP but it seems stuff usually sells for the same number of $/pounds. Maybe lower import costs or realistically all this stuff costs a few $$ and they charge what the market will bear.

I think that might be my starter kit, I'm sure I will add better equipment down the road. Again, thanks for the help. I'm so close to being frustrated trying to find things in the sky :icon_scratch: 

This is my favourite moon filter but out of your budget at the moment.

https://www.amazon.com/Baader-Planetarium-1-25-Skyglow-Filter/dp/B002SYFHNG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489269492&sr=1-1&keywords=baader+neodymium+filter

This one is a pretty good alternative though. 

https://www.amazon.com/Solomark-1-25-Telescope-Skyglow-Filter/dp/B00OXKG46C/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489269601&sr=1-4&keywords=Moon+%26+skyglow+filter

I've never found the need for a variable filter for viewing the moon. The moon & skyglow type are also good on the planets as well.

John

down the road many Baader pieces are in my future but yeah, thats out for now. that other one you listed has pretty poor reviews. Any thoughts on this:

https://www.amazon.com/Variable-Polarizing-Eyepiece-Telescope-Polarizer/dp/B0143M8BFQ/ref=pd_sim_421_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0143M8BFQ&pd_rd_r=WS4413CXZ3V7DEJS94ZC&pd_rd_w=Yzv7C&pd_rd_wg=jlSB4&psc=1&refRID=WS4413CXZ3V7DEJS94ZC

A Moon filter is not essential I have never bothered using mine, if the Moon is full and super bright then I cheat because it is quick I put a pair of sunglasses on. NEVER look at the Sun you will damage your eyes good and proper without the correct and right solar filters.

Quite different reviews on the Amazon UK site.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014MA4D1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The variable one you've linked to looks OK and not too expensive. Some people are more sensitive than others to the brightness of the moon and need to dim things down a bit and others don't need to at all. I'd recommend holding off until you've had chance to observe the moon to see if you would need it.

John

lol, I'm only dumb with my money. I appreciate the thought but I wonder how anyone who would look at the sun can figure all this stuff out :help:

I think I will pick up the $20 variable moon filter. If it's terrible I have a $20 paperweight.

Thanks John/happy-kat, now I have been convinced sunglasses until proven otherwise necessary. That's $20 I can put towards the diagonal you recommended. I also have a bunch on ND filters for my camera I could pop over my eye if needed.

Archived