NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Mitral Valve

MartinB

OK, that's a bit fanciful, it's that shiny bit in the middle of the Heart nebula.  A rare image from me.  I've got 2 versions of this.  I started with a 3 channel Hubble palate image but then did a bicolour HaOIII concoction which I actually preferred so that's what I'm posting.  There was precious little SII and nothing that wasn't present in the other 2 channels.  This has Ha mapped to red and OIII to both blue and green.  The data was gathered over several nights with pretty poor seeing throughout.

Camera: QSI 532

Scope: Meade 10" LX200 ACF

Filters Baader 7nm Ha and OIII

Ha 20x20mins (Don't know why I didn't opt for 30mins) and 6x20mins OIII (not enough)

It's a bit fuzzy :(

Heart centre HaHaOIIIOIII.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice image.  However, did I tell you I was a pedant?  The mitral valve allows passage of blood from the left atrium to the left ventricle.  What you have there is the atrial septum or, if you prefer, the inter-atrial septum.  Since it does not go all the way between the atria, what you appear to have captured is a fine example of an atrial-septum defect (more commonly known as a 'hole in the heart').  In the foetus there is (necessarily) a gap between the atria - this is called the foramen ovale - it allows blood to bypass the non-functional foetal lungs.  Of course, the foetus gets its oxygenated blood from the placenta.

I really must get out more. 

17 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Nice image.  However, did I tell you I was a pedant?  The mitral valve allows passage of blood from the left atrium to the left ventricle.  What you have there is the atrial septum or, if you prefer, the inter-atrial septum.  Since it does not go all the way between the atria, what you appear to have captured is a fine example of an atrial-septum defect (more commonly known as a 'hole in the heart').  In the foetus there is (necessarily) a gap between the atria - this is called the foramen ovale - it allows blood to bypass the non-functional foetal lungs.  Of course, the foetus gets its oxygenated blood from the placenta.

I really must get out more. 

Ha ha!!  Did I tell you I'm a doctor!  You are quite right of course :happy7:

5 hours ago, gnomus said:

No you didn't.  Did I tell you that I am a doctor too? :icon_geek:

5 hours ago, MartinB said:

Ha ha!!  Did I tell you I'm a doctor!  You are quite right of course :happy7:

Are you the kind with access to drugs?:wink:

Another doctor just wonders. (The more physics and less physician kind)

39 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Are you the kind with access to drugs?:wink:

Another doctor just wonders. (The more physics and less physician kind)

:blink: There are a number of medicinal cocktails I can whip up but Highland Park Whisky remains my drug of choice.

Lovely delicate image. It gives a strongly three dimensional sense of a rope of material drifting through space.

I hope we get an image of the Soul Nebula soon so that the forum's clergy can get their teeth into it's theological niceties! :D

Olly

1 hour ago, MartinB said:

:blink: There are a number of medicinal cocktails I can whip up but Highland Park Whisky remains my drug of choice.

Next time I have one, I can safely say that it's just what the doctor ordered (for himself) :icon_biggrin:

Now, let's not continue this discussion, lest a moderator objects. (Oh, wait a minute .... :grin: )

Archived