Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Time to say goodbye and sell up

Welrod50

All,

It is with a heavy heart I have decided to sell my whole astro kit. Working shifts and normal daytime photography (when I can), and the impending marriage to my lovely better half this coming December dictate that it's time to say tatty-bye for now.  I have listed my stuff in the classifieds for all to nosey at.

I plan on hanging around still from time to time and checking out the great images posted by the other practicers of the 'dark art' of guided imaging.

So see you all around and clear skies!!!

Scott :(

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing like marriage , mortgages and kids to focus your mind on priorities.

I got married young had 3 children etc so only had the occasional bino' session, children gradually moved out after a couple of false starts and I indulged in a small refractor one Christmas which sufficed until I retired and it's been all downhill for the wallet ever since making up for lost time.

So no doubt you'll return, refreshed or exhausted in your dotage and be welcomed back with open arms.

Dave

Thanks dave,

Well 2017 for me is the year of marriage and a certain boy turning 17 and wanting driving lessons and a car.

I may need to sell my parents aswell as my astro gear at this rate!

:)

1 minute ago, Welrod50 said:

Thanks dave,

Well 2017 for me is the year of marriage and a certain boy turning 17 and wanting driving lessons and a car.

Wait till you have Grandchildren then.  My 2 cost waaaaaay more than my Daughter ever did :icon_biggrin:

Hurry back and keep looking upwards :thumbright:

3 minutes ago, Welrod50 said:

Thanks dave,

You'll probably have to sell a kidney ?

My boy is 23, still lives at home, and I'm (we're) still paying for him even though he's earning 18k a year! Kids want it all nowadays, and then some. 

27 minutes ago, RayD said:

Wait till you have Grandchildren then.  My 2 cost waaaaaay more than my Daughter ever did :icon_biggrin:

Hurry back and keep looking upwards :thumbright:

Wait until you've got great grandchildren Ray :eek:

Dave

Sorry to hear you are leaving us, but it is understandable. For many years I was an armchair astronomer, reading books and magazines. Retirement and a grown up family allowed me to return to the fold. I am sure at some stage you will too. Best of luck to you and your wife to be.

Good luck Scott.  

It's a break rather than a goodbye! I gave up astronomy completely for around 5 - 6 years. The interest will come back (marriage will ensure that sitting in the garden on your own will suddenly appeal more) :D, but there is no point forcing you to do something and of course other things get in the way!

Look forward to seeing you back at some point.

Ant  

1 hour ago, jabeoo1 said:

All the best.  Visual only !? 

Started as visual, and quickly morphed into imaging. Still got the bino's though and an intervalometer for the Pentax DSLR so can still have a play where necessary :)

47 minutes ago, Ant said:

Good luck Scott.  

It's a break rather than a goodbye! I gave up astronomy completely for around 5 - 6 years. The interest will come back (marriage will ensure that sitting in the garden on your own will suddenly appeal more) :D, but there is no point forcing you to do something and of course other things get in the way!

Look forward to seeing you back at some point.

Ant  

Cheers Ant. I'm hopeful it wont be too long. I plan on kicking the boy out when he turns 18 and the future Mrs T had a habit of kicking me out into the garden when Holby came on, so it all works/worked rather well.  See you around soon ;)

Scott.

59 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Sorry to hear you are leaving us, but it is understandable. For many years I was an armchair astronomer, reading books and magazines. Retirement and a grown up family allowed me to return to the fold. I am sure at some stage you will too. Best of luck to you and your wife to be.

Thanks very much. I most certainly will return to!!  :)

I wish you a very happy future Scott.  Marriage is whole new way of life, and Astronomy, the mistress you have
courted for so long,  unfortunately has to move over for a while.  
But, she is a jealous lady, and will court you until you relent, and embrace her again.
Not sure how your Good Lady will react, but you cross that bridge when you come to it,   HehHeh!
Say it like Arny.              "I'll Be Back" :icon_biggrin:.

Good luck with everything Scott. I've clung on to the hobby right through marriage, children, divorce, re-marriage and another child so it is possible!

Keep yourself a pair of binos and perhaps a small grab and go scope to use when you do actually get a chance. Small refractors have been my main focus as they are easy and quick to setup for a ten or fifteen minute session if that is all that is possible, and also easy to take on holiday with the family.

Either way, have fun, and hope to see you back again soon.

Best wishes for the future, Scott.  I'm another retiree with grown-up children, and a couple of grandchildren, so can appreciate the demands of work and family!

Do keep your hand in with the binos from time to time, as well as visiting us here in The Lounge!

Doug.

Archived