NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

It may be clear but..

kev

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DRT said:

It's the same here in Chesterfield. There seems to be lots of moisture in the air but it is almost completely cloudless so hopefully it will improve later this evening.

Moisture, sky is like a wet sponge here, just been out side and car is dripping  but turning to ice

2 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Moisture, sky is like a wet sponge here, just been out side and car is dripping  but turning to ice

Similar here Jules. Scope icing up already but I was only giving it a bit of a check out. Sky clear but hardly any stars visible unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Mars was just yielding a surprising amount of detail.

After last night's attempt to look at Mars i think i'm going to give it a miss for a while... :p Where i live at the moment the sky seems pretty clear, its extremely cold and its only 18:00! Maybe i will venture outside tonight... :)

Looking promising to be very nice for Wednesday night so far here and for in Northumberland, though some places may encounter a risk of fog patches maybe. However a dark sky trip is anticipated, so fingers crossed the BBC weather forecast might do good this time.

Ive just taken the scope in.  Limiting mag c3, scope dripping. Eyepieces in dry dining room.   

And i note the tv is aweful. Christmas prezzie scotch coming up... !

best wishes all

kev

"Clear" here but I see contrails and it looks like fog forming. Went out to move the car so the removals van would have space and I was scraping ice off it. Looks like we could have freezing fog by morning.

I'm not moving BTW but I have painters coming in on the 3rd and need to give them room.

Friday was "meant" to be clear, last night was "meant" to be clear and tonight was "meant" to be clear (until they decided it was going to be foggy)....... None have been so I doubt that Wednesday night is going to be clear....Well come to think of it...yes it is going to be clear because I won't be at my "dark" site any more.

Not that my dark site is all that dark any more thanks to lovely LED lighting.

Perhaps a new hobby is in order?

Sorry about this folks, 'cos it won't help, but it was my turn tonight. And I'm not sorry about that!

Had a cracking couple of hours earlier, alone at my club's dark sky site. Faffed around with my kit - always learning ? - had some good views of fairly easy targets (on my knees for M31!), heard foxes and roe deer barking, got annoyed at a Land Rover searchlight slewing around on a hill beside me and, generally, had a great session. ?

'Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you.'

Hope you get good skies back soon.

16 minutes ago, Floater said:

it was my turn tonight

Glad to hear it, Gordon. Whilst it is frustrating looking up at a mushy, milky mess it is also good to know that someone else had better luck :wink:

Well. Just out of interest i kept half an eye on the sky during the night. It didnt improve. This morning its -1, clear but with a mainly vey pale sky.  Certainly isnt blue.  

I've been looking at Met Office forecasts and Clear Outside a lot recently, trying to figure out what's likely to be happening, but when one shows clear the other shows cloud. Monday looked good, and it turned out to be clear but not really, with familiar DSOs being fainter than they should be at almost new moon, and others washed out completely. It wasn't a waste of time though, I looked at some obvious stuff and split a few doubles instead. Then last night was supposed to be completely clouded over, but I happened to pull back my curtains at x-o'clock this morning only to find it was as clear as a bell. Well I wouldn't be British if I wasn't moaning about the weather...

It was forecast to be clear here in mid Cornwall from 9pm until dawn, but there was a lot of drifting cloud until after midnight - when the sky finally cleared beautifully :).

I do a mixture of observing and imaging, and I did get some decent shots of 'Thor's Helmet' (NGC 2359). However, I then decided to look for Comet Johnson (2015 V2) - I regretted that, after giving up in frustration nearly two hours later - I felt like I'd mostly wasted a great night! I did have a quick look at Jupiter (with the 12" Newt I'd been using for imaging and comet-hunting), but predictably the turbulence was awful.

Forecast has it clear again tonight, thankfully (fingers-crossed).

The one thing I've learned in this game in the short time I've been at it is you must make the most of the clear nights, I've put off a night's viewig/imaging thinking that tomorrow it will be better only for it to get worse and then be weeks waiting for the conditions to improve...... Make the most guy's

Baz

12 minutes ago, barrie greenwood said:

The one thing I've learned in this game in the short time I've been at it is you must make the most of the clear nights, I've put off a night's viewig/imaging thinking that tomorrow it will be better only for it to get worse and then be weeks waiting for the conditions to improve...... Make the most guy's

Baz

Agree Baz, but also would add, don't beat yourself up if you do give a clear night a miss either.
Sometimes, life just gets in the way.

Archived