Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first telescope nearly

Hi i have been looking at the stars for a long time but a couple of years ago hubby bought me an astronomy book then i really started to enjoy it.

Did try the cheap Lidl telescope it was ok but the tripod was not to good the slightest knock would start it shaking for ages got hubby to fill the legs with sand did not make much difference well sold it.

That was about 2 years ago now i enjoy sitting outside using my eyes plus a really old pair of 7 x 50 binoculars seems the longer i look the more i see i really enjoy looking for something i have not seen before.

Now this year hubby promised he would buy me a telescope  to cut this post short he said how about i buy you Celestron Nexstar SLT with goto looked nice but did some reading on web saw i could buy same telescope without the goto for half the price  then after reading some more decided i would rather have an 8" Dobsonian  like the Skyliner.

Would this be the right choice for looking at the stars but not the planets.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dob is the most straightforward telescope. Doesn't cost much either, with what you save relative to an electro scope you can get better binoculars, cause a 7x50 doesn't magnify much, and doesn't darken the sky like a 10x50, a 12x50, a 12x60 or a 15x70 would. Pretty much any modern binoc with a ratio of 5 or 4 between diameter and magnification will present deep sky targets better than an outdated 7x50.

Indeed - that is an excellent choice on your part, kitten! It can show you a new & fascinating sight for the rest of your life. That's why I refer to an 8" telescope a 'lifetime-telescope.' 8 inches of aperture is the 'sweet-spot.'

For anyone dealing with a case of the wiggles & vibration there's a rather strange sounding way to get the mount to stay more still - hang about a 10-pound weight of some form from the middle-area (or close) down arounf 15 - 20 inches. Around the central accessory-tray/leg-spreader. It seems counterintuitive, but the mass and motion of this cancels out vibrations from the tripod & telescope. Give this a try if you run into the problem of a shaky mount.

And oh yes: Greetings & welcome to SGL - it's great to have you here! We love finding answers to questions here, so keep them coming in these many forums. No need to be shy. Soon you'll be the one answering them!

Starry Skies,

Dave

Make sure that you know what it is that you are getting and that it seems appropriate.

An 8" dobsonian is often recommended and it would seem everyone has one, however a few years back I visited a club to the South of me on a public night, 10 scopes there, 8 were 5 or 6 inch SCT's and Maks on a goto, the two others were refractors. Not one reflector and not therefore a single dobsonian. It made an interesting situation. Where were/are all these dobonians that "everyone" had. As said it made for an interesting aspect.

Even though I own a goto, it did get a bit boring hearing about the new software assorted people had for their alignment. Most conversation were about "software" and not what they could see. Which you will not get with a dobsonian. At least with them it is astronomy.

You will not, generally, get the scope, head off out and start putting everything in view the frst time you get one. You that thing called The Moon? Not so easy to find as you might think. There is a learning curve, likely better described as a familiarisation curve. The same is true of any scope even if using the scope is simple then it is often a case of learning to use the mount.

Seems a bit late to suggest digging out a club to enquire at when the idea is a christmas item.

One point made on the US forum: What scope was/is it that you wanted when you thought about this hobby - reflector, refractor, SCT/Mak - because likely that was the one that appealed to you and it is likely the one you should get immaterial of everyones suggestions.

An 8 inch dob  is easy to use and will make a good first scope.

To get the best out of it ensure it is collimated correctly http://astropictures.co.uk/culminationpg.html

Also allow the telescope to cool down if it has been kept in the house before using it, then enjoy.

Apparently after receiving  a telescope it is usually cloudy, the number of cloudy nights is normally proportional to the aperture in inches. 

Lol :)

Might I add that you should also acquire  a Book, a guide to what is up there in the Night Sky. Objects can be difficult to find in a telescope,
regardless of the size of the Mirror/Lens.  A wide angled finder scope attached to the main telescope, and accurately aligned will prove a huge asset when 
positioning your telescope on to a particular target.  
I you need help on how to fit and adjust such a device, just return here, and ask HOW?, and help will follow immediately, because we are good at that :lol:.
Good luck with your search for a decent 200mm F5 Dobsonian. You could do no better than have a look at First Light Optics, at the top of SGL's start page.
Top Class Service from FLO.  If you prefer other avenues, don't forget the Used Telescope Market. there are Internet Sites that sell used equipment,
but be careful, don't just jump in and buy without seeking advice first, and again, that advice is always available from SGL's members, and you will not
fall foul of anything bad. 
Best, Wishes, and enjoy your stay with the best  International  Amateur Astronomy Forum on Planet Earth.

You have made a great choice and received good advice.

A good book to get started is "Turn Left at Orion", shows what is about season by season, how to find the objects and most important describes and shows what you should see at the eyepiece.

Two pieces of advice when you get your scope:-

i) Do take the trouble to align the finder scope with the main scope in daylight, use a distant chimney, church spire or similar. Take care not to be pointing near the sun.

ii) If you are buying new be aware that these scopes usually come with both a 2" and 1.25" eyepiece adaptor fitted. Make sure you only use the 1.25" if you are using the supplied eyepieces. This forum is littered with posts by newcomers complaining they cannot achieve focus because they have left both adaptors in place.

Good luck, have fun and come back and tell us how you get on.

Skyliner 200P......same scope, just depends what you want to pay, First Light is our site sponsor, Optical are the main authorized UK importer (afaik).

Any and all of the eyepieces  in my signature work very well for my eyes,  given the  Skyliners f/6 focal ratio (not too demanding). I only have the WO/SPL because BST do not have a 6mm, the Revelations are the result of testing  several other  Plössls, and the Delos were to test and compare against my BSTs and the fact I wanted a biiger scope, though I'm sticking with the 200P for longer. Nice field of view they provide, but the Starguider provides just as good an image at 60°afov, their my choice.

Their  affordable, comfortable,  they work extremely well, and my Sky-watcher  32mm Panaview provides lovely wide views, but this is a larger  2" (50mm) fitting, though Sky-watcher provides the adapter with their scope, just remember (if you buy the scope) only use ONE ADAPTOR at a time (often they come paired, fitted together, but you'll only use  one with an eyepiece!

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_telescopes-sky-watcher-dobsonians/skyliner-200p.html

My scope sits ready to go from its cupboard near to the back door, I can lift the whole thing out, holding the scope's  tensioner handles like I'm about to bench curl some weights, just remember at this lifted height, there is a top limit to  every door (I've not hit the top yet ).
The scope can be used straight away, there is no setup per se, just place it on the ground, grab a seat ( drum stool for me) and using the 32mm I can view straight away. At higher magnifications, all your images will be distorted due to the thermals that are visible through the eyepiece. If you come out of focus slightly, it looks like a kaleidoscope of swirling distortion in grey!. This is all very NORMAL? Its caused by the loss of heat from the primary mirror as the mirror cools to the ambient temperature. This heat, creates a thermal boundary over the face of the mirror, acts like a weak plastic lens, distorting the final image, often referred to as thermal tube currents. In fact the whole scope has to cool, the warmer air rising through the telescope and out the top, but its the warm layer of air over the surface of the mirror that is the problem. But all is not lost, because in less than an hour, its never been longer, the image settles, as the telescope reaches ambient temperature, high powers are now possible without further issue, except the seeing conditions above and mother nature, you'll always fight those issues.

All sounds very technical, its not, once the scope is correctly put together, finder scope aligned during the day, cooled and collimated you won't find a better scope, same design,  unless you buy a bigger scope?
If this is the scope for you, go get it, enjoy it. and lastly, I live on the edge of my city, I have some street lighting that affects what I can see. Its possible to separate the tube and base, pop everything in my car and in less than a mile, with no street lighting, its as If I have bought another 'better' scope, the difference is that great, but this goes for ANY scope, the better the conditions, the better the scope, up to its designed capability!

22 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Indeed - that is an excellent choice on your part, kitten! It can show you a new & fascinating sight for the rest of your life. That's why I refer to an 8" telescope a 'lifetime-telescope.' 8 inches of aperture is the 'sweet-spot.'

For anyone dealing with a case of the wiggles & vibration there's a rather strange sounding way to get the mount to stay more still - hang about a 10-pound weight of some form from the middle-area (or close) down arounf 15 - 20 inches. Around the central accessory-tray/leg-spreader. It seems counterintuitive, but the mass and motion of this cancels out vibrations from the tripod & telescope. Give this a try if you run into the problem of a shaky mount.

And oh yes: Greetings & welcome to SGL - it's great to have you here! We love finding answers to questions here, so keep them coming in these many forums. No need to be shy. Soon you'll be the one answering them!

Starry Skies,

Dave

As Dave says.......an 8" scope is indeed a scope for life. There's no one scope that does everything. Some small ones (90mm refractor) are great for observing planets. Other much larger scopes (20" Dob) are good for other things. An 8" scope is generally a great all-rounder and does a bit of everything very well indeed. 

I use a 70mm refractor for solar observing (with all the safety filters in situ)

A point is being overlooked here - Dobsonian mounts won't give you any help in finding objects that are faint or otherwise difficult to locate.  I have an 8" Newtonian non-Goto as well as a Mak GoTo and the frustration of trying to find anything faint with the 8" after being used to the GoTo is considerable.   In the extreme , it's a contrast between easy and don't bother trying - for instance locating planets and a few bright stars in daylight is a GoTo party trick - now try doing that with a Dobsonian.

Hi all after reading your replies think i shall still get the 8" Dobsonian i enjoy watch/finding stars without a telescope so it will add another dimension to the sky.

I can find most but not all i want to look at by using stars i know allready i have books/star maps/planisphere also we do lots of walking in the peak district all year round so have loads of outdoor clothing but for when it is really cold hubby bought me a high altitude ski suit.

Now i have one more question for you all where should i buy this telescope we have a local shop called Rother Valley Optics then there is Amazon as well as FLO.

Have been to RVO with hubby loads of times as he flies r/c gliders slope soarers when the astronomy part of the shop used to be half of the floor space but that space has been taken over for the model part of the shop the astronomy bit is now very much smaller.

I do remember they allways used to have at least one Dobsonian on show but looks like they no longer have room for that it is now very cramped.

Point me to a seller please i would prefer to see the real thing before i buy if possible.

6 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I have an 8" Newtonian non-Goto as well as a Mak GoTo and the frustration of trying to find anything faint with the 8" after being used to the GoTo is considerable.

Is the image any different, or is it just down to your ability to locate the target.
I have never used a Go-To, but its my expectation that if you can see an object with a Go-To, you should/will see the same object with  a like-for-like telescope, is this not so! The fact it might take you longer to acquire the image could be an issue, but surely that comes down to the users experience and practice.
I understand how having the  Go-To makes  finding your target easier, if you don't know where to look, as you just call up a menu,  select the target and hope it aligns, but if the scope itself is not accurately aligned and calibrated (  every session ) then a Go-To may not even Go-Near, causing  even  more frustration for  new users.

36 minutes ago, kitten said:

Point me to a seller please i would prefer to see the real thing before i buy if possible

Rother Valley will give you the option to visualize the size of the scope, if you like what you see, you could own one by the end of the visit. Next would be FLO, Amazon would be my least favourite option.
Of the two, take your pick, they'll both have the same scope, how much do you want to pay, that's the difference!

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 13:09, James Vincent said:

Apparently after receiving  a telescope it is usually cloudy, the number of cloudy nights is normally proportional to the aperture in inches. 

Lol :)

by this logic my 32" dob should be due first  light right about now ???

great scope by the way, will keep you interested for a long time.

I have always used RVO for my astro gear but have not been there recently. If you are dissatisfied with the selection on view Green Witch at Batley might be worth a visit. I've not had personal experience but hear nothing but good. It might be worth phoning before the trip to find what they have on show.

Green Witch:- http://www.green-witch.com/

Santa has been very naughty this year not only has he not wrapped my present but he left it at RVO instead of my house had to get hubby to pick it up for me.

Just look at it a brown cardboard box no girlie paper  no bows.scope.png

Archived