Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade 178 ED/APO Project X build finished.

This was my recent project what has finally finished.It was an enjoyable experience and i am looking forward to using this telescope :)

Full reviews with plenty of pics can be found here:http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/559504-meade-178edapo-project-x-buildreviewfirst-light/

Dude with a "big" tube now.

I still have stickers to manufacture to go onto the tube.

20161112_190733_HDR (Large).jpg

DSC00161 (Large).JPG

DSC00152 (Large).JPG

2 hours ago, Dude_with_the_tube said:

This was my recent project what has finally finished.It was an enjoyable experience and i am looking forward to using this telescope :)

Full reviews with plenty of pics can be found here:http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/559504-meade-178edapo-project-x-buildreviewfirst-light/

Dude with a "big" tube now.

I still have stickers to manufacture to go onto the tube.

20161112_190733_HDR (Large).jpg

Wooow.  when I first looked at this I thought I had clicked on the Amateur Rocket Building site by mistake?   

What a nice piece of work and what a scope to have in your collection. Would love to live next door to yourself , for a peak now and again. I suppose the mount this scope sits on needs to be a beefed up affair.

Well done and lovely piece of work.

32 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

There's nothing quite like a big 'proper' scope

oh there is Mr Spock,a BIGGER scope lol.next project an 8" APo maybe if i find a spare kidney to donate hahaha.But if seriously,i am chaffed to bits with the outcome and how Meade178 performs.Es did a fabulous job on lens i tell you that.

35 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Would love to live next door to yourself , for a peak now and again. I suppose the mount this scope sits on needs to be a beefed up affair.

Thanks Timebandit,much appreciated.you and anyone else is more than welcome to have a peak when you are up in Aberdeen.Nothing needs to be done to the mount.Az-EQ6GT in Az mode can hold up to 25kg,where scope with everything on it barely hits 17kg so i am well within the limits.All i had to do is to tighten up 3 bolts what holds the cradle on the mount to avoid it slipping.Nothing else.

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Thee are not many of these in captivity! I remember Ed Ting doing an article on them years ago.

Not many around thats for sure and if there are,then the ones who got the lens sorted will not part with them,and who ever hasnt gotten it sorted have this scope lying somewhere in the shed gathering dust!Shame really as each lens where hand polished and every single one of them had very smooth figure and are very well corrected.I would not hesitate to recommend getting the Meade 178 even with the first run cells,get the lens sorted and you will have a trully staggering instrument for a fraction of the cost.Sometimes you have to go the extra mile but at the end it was well worth the effort.

I will report back after i will have one PROPER first light as 2 hrs testing time didnt gave me much options to play with magnifications,neither there where sufficient variety of targets available when i had those 2 hrs of clear spell.

I like that a lot Dude... Looks fantastic, and the extra's you've taken on board such as the dew shield really set the scope up.. Im sure you'll enjoy that for years to come.

Happy first light to you..

Fozzie

Archived