NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Big Moon Rising

barkis

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Floater said:

The trouble I have with this is the claim that it's the closest since ... whatever. I've read 1948, 1976 and at least one other in various reports/articles. Not important but mildly annoying. ?

We've already had 4 super Moons this year and got 2 to go, 14th November and 14th December and if you hang around there is the BIGGEST one of the century on December 6th 2052 :grin:

Dave

12 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Just wait for the usual media onslaught. The end of the world is nigh!!!!!!!!!.

Well, now you have just woken them up Paul.
You should just have thought it, and  not said anything. :eek:.

Just now, barkis said:

Wrap it in a warm blanket, and make sure it sees you drinking hot coffee,
that will comfort the big fellow :D.

but ! it will be excited about going to the isle of skye for a week on the 26th with the dob mob :icon_biggrin:

1 minute ago, faulksy said:

but ! it will be excited about going to the isle of skye for a week on the 26th with the dob mob :icon_biggrin:

Probably, coz. it will see some pals,  but no where near as  excited as you  :lol:.

Hi guys, I am just a newstarter and I had started a similar topic on the other forum and received a sad comment below.

Please do not judge me on this one...

"

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:47 PM

In all honesty, Super Moons are essentially a fiction and simply a term some PR-type dreamed up for times when full moon and the moon's perigee occur closely together in time. The concept has only existed during the past few years, likely created purposely to gain some news coverage on TV and the Internet for NASA, or astronomy in general.

In reality there is very, very little actual difference in the size, brightness, or appearance of a Super Moon when compared with any other full moon throughout the year. Nevertheless, the general public (and even some hobbyists) have come to honestly believe that they witness a drastic increase in moonlight, or the apparent size of the moon, around the time each Super Moon is announced.  :lol:

BrooksObs

"

I saw a "super" moon last year. I didnt know it at the time. I can honestly say that what my eyes and brain saw was a moon that was much bigger then usual and uuber bright. I'm convinced that i could see the craters (some of them anyway), with the naked eye. I cant say that ive ever been able to see craters before,only with the naked eye.

They really do happen, but only in the minds eye.

Seenig a full Moon rising above the eastern horizon always looks huge, especially when it is compared to an earthly  object  beside the rising Orb.
An optical Illusion for sure, and measuring it with a Micrometer at that time, will give a result, that will be no different when the full moon transits your  Local  Meridian.
Measure the Super Moon and the measurement could differ by   about  12 - 14% to that of a non Super body. 
It's not something miraculous, merely shows that the Lunar orbit is elliptical, and at times, the orbit path lies closer to Earth than at most other times.

Roland Kol, you were on the wrong forum, and unless you talk utter drivel, no one will get away with belittling you here, everyone has a right to their own opinion on
any subject.
Sure opinions might differ, but without being disrespectful or rude to each other, folks can just agree to disagree.
Verbal wars are not tolerated here.

Archived