Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

For sale: Martian Real Estate

baggywrinkle

They can spout all the Legal claptrap they like, but nobody can lay claim to any part of any solar System
object, or part of, unless they are physically on that ground surely.
Most of the Rocky bodied worlds may one day be subject to claims, except Venus, and perhaps Mercury, not sure on that one. 
I don't believe the US claimed any part of the Moon. I think the proclamation made was on behalf of all Mankind, 
but no stakes were hammered into the Lunar soil. They left a Flag there, but a symbolic gesture only, no laying  claim to anything.
Perhaps that Doctor shooting a laser at Mars, needs to get a better life for himself, he's dreaming this one.
It's going to be one hell of a long time before any substantial thought is given as to whom will claim what, wherever.
I really despair when I read stuff like this.  We need to be doing something useful with the planet we have got, instead of coveting
any other body to waste.

Right, I feel better after that rant.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, barkis said:

They can spout all the Legal claptrap they like, but nobody can lay claim to any part of any solar System
object, or part of, unless they are physically on that ground surely.
Most of the Rocky bodied worlds may one day be subject to claims, except Venus, and perhaps Mercury, not sure on that one. 
I don't believe the US claimed any part of the Moon. I think the proclamation made was on behalf of all Mankind, 
but no stakes were hammered into the Lunar soil. They left a Flag there, but a symbolic gesture only, no laying  claim to anything.
Perhaps that Doctor shooting a laser at Mars, needs to get a better life for himself, he's dreaming this one.
It's going to be one hell of a long time before any substantial thought is given as to whom will claim what, wherever.
I really despair when I read stuff like this.  We need to be doing something useful with the planet we have got, instead of coveting
any other body to waste.

Right, I feel better after that rant.

A good rant :)

You have such high trust in the human race being all sensible and such like Barkis ;)

I have to admit I rather admire the good doctor and the English passion for defending lost causes! Although I certainly agree that protecting our own planet is of primary and perhaps more urgent importance.

In the late 1950s, the US government (or military) contemplated the possibility of using the Moon as a test ground for atomic bombs! One of the scientists who worked on Project A119 as it was called was none other than Carl Sagan, who otherwise seems like quite a decent chap! Hopefully any thoughts in such directions are for the moment shelved, but sadly, who knows in the future?

In the end, what ever the outcome of Philip Davies's attempts, should a time come in the future when we are able to, and need to exploit the Solar System, it will be those countries that have the power and force to do so who will benefit. The USA for one doesn't seem to have much respect for international law especially when it is in conflict with its own interests.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 07/10/2016 at 19:12, Kropster said:

People can claim what they like.

It doesn't mean anything.

Best to ignore them and NEVER give them any of your hard won cash!

Same thing was happening years ago ...and some have tried selling 'real estate' on the Moon.
We still got the ones selling stars to deal with as well. :cussing:

Anyway; hi and welcome to SGL @moodyolio:hello2:

On 07/10/2016 at 14:12, Kropster said:

People can claim what they like.

It doesn't mean anything.

Best to ignore them and NEVER give them any of your hard won cash!

After seeing this, I'm claiming the Sun. Soon every Earthling will be getting their first monthly energy bill! 👍👍

I will post my PayPal information as soon as I have set up the account!

Please send your payment by the due date. I would hate to have to send a second notice in a pink envelope!  😁😁

Unfortunately the minute some greedy corporation or single country finds a valuable commodity on the Moon, Mars or any other body, then claims will be staked, arguments will start and probably shooting will begin.

Only international treaties and cooperation between all spacefaring countries will prevent land grabs. Unfortunately I don't see that happening...

13 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Now, how do you shoot the damn things down .....   🤔

I don't know about "...shooting the damn things down" but my concern is the satellites that are no longer working; (plus other space junk); and getting them down safely before a collision; (it does happen); and more go up. 

5 hours ago, Philip R said:

I don't know about "...shooting the damn things down" but my concern is the satellites that are no longer working; (plus other space junk); and getting them down safely before a collision; (it does happen); and more go up. 

The last Starlink payload contained the first of the sun visor type. We will have to keep an eye out for the results...

After installing the Orbittrack app, I was stunned at the amount of junk. I didn't realise the Thor Agenas are still whizzing around. That's a quite big chunk of metal...

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet

It seems we pollute any environment we (as a species) inhabits.... 

It wouldn't be so bad if there was at least some form of clean-up operation, even on paper, but as there is now so much junk, dating back the last 30~40 years, with just more being added, by all nations, and some not even being declared, so I'll wait for the inevitable pile-up, and the showering of the earth of the debris, some being radioactive\toxic...     

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Philip R said:

They are in such low orbits that they will de-orbit naturally in a few years. Each sat is also fitted with an ion thruster that will be used to de-orbit Starlink sats that are end-of-life. Even if the think completely fails it will de-orbit naturally.

12 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

It seems we pollute any environment we (as a species) inhabits.... 

It wouldn't be so bad if there was at least some form of clean-up operation, even on paper, but as there is now so much junk, dating back the last 30~40 years, with just more being added, by all nations, and some not even being declared, so I'll wait for the inevitable pile-up, and the showering of the earth of the debris, some being radioactive\toxic...     

Maybe that could be SpaceX's next big endeavor. If he could master that,  it would be a big step towards "mining" asteriods.

Only the shuttle had the capability to bring anything substantial back with out it going all sparkly on the way down! 😁

24 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Maybe that could be SpaceX's next big endeavor. If he could master that,  it would be a big step towards "mining" asteriods.

Only the shuttle had the capability to bring anything substantial back with out it going all sparkly on the way down! 😁

The Starship will be able to do deliver many metric tonnes down to the surface.

• 3 months later...

Guys, I was very interested in this topic. After reading your answers,I want to say that why not take a risk and invest in property other than our planet? Now is the time that all areas of our world are very progressive and who knows where we will give up tomorrow? For example, I faced a lot of problems when buying a house, one of the main ones was the lack of funds because I wanted a house from cash home buyers (https://connectedinvestors.com/platform). After searching for some information, I came across a cool website where I found investors. I advise you from the bottom of my heart this site and I am sure that there you can find your accomplices! The idea is really very interesting , I want to wish you good luck, cosmonaut!

Edited by PeterNashRw8

On 12/06/2020 at 10:05, Philip R said:

Same thing was happening years ago ...and some have tried selling 'real estate' on the Moon.
We still got the ones selling stars to deal with as well. :cussing:

Anyway; hi and welcome to SGL @moodyolio:hello2:

Do you mean that the star I bought and had named after me isn’t really mine!!