Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS forum 2

mapstar

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know its great that things in Astronomy seem to be getting more press time these days, unless im just going looking for more things, but does anyone else think the press have been hyping up the Orionid meteor shower recently? Peak rate might be 15 an hour.  Plus no one seems to have mentioned that the moon will wipe alot of them out anyway

28 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

Are we due any clear skies this weekend, and is anyone heading out for a viewing session if we do get good skies?

Really thinking that I need to get out with my scope soon.

The moon is still bright Vic so not sure but would like to get out 

1 minute ago, mapstar said:

The moon is still bright Vic so not sure but would like to get out 

Yes, the moon is still around 1/2 illuminated although it doesn't rise until late on. Have you got a forecast for tonight or tomorrow night at Winscar? Are you free for a viewing night at all over the weekend of we get a good forecast?

Well, Terry has come home and he's taking me out for a pint. Great stuff. Hoping it's clear when I get home as I'm going to set up in the back yard tonight. Doesn't look like it's worth going to Winscar just for a couple of hours. Hopefully it'll be better tomorrow night :)

2 hours ago, Matt Scunthorpe said:

I need to get my head around AP again. Been far too long since my last attempt. Only problem is where I live now, the north star is blocked by pesky trees, so I will have to start heading out with you guys more often.

Yes, it'll be good to see you again and for you to get your imaging gear up and running. The season is underway! :)

Just now, Mark62 said:

Don't get too drunk Vicky or you will just want to go to bed instead 

No, just having a couple between 6pm and 7pm. Going out with Terry and Luke and meeting an old friend with his son, who is a similar age to Luke. We'll be back home just after 7pm, so plenty of time to get sorted if it looks like it's going to clear :)

1 hour ago, Mark62 said:

Don't get too drunk Vicky or you will just want to go to bed instead 

Love your sense of humor Mark,don't get too drunk, yea right lol.

I've not decided if I'm going out yet. I'll see how the old back is after been pulled around today. Plus I've got beer in the fridge.

5 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Yes, the moon is still around 1/2 illuminated although it doesn't rise until late on. Have you got a forecast for tonight or tomorrow night at Winscar? Are you free for a viewing night at all over the weekend of we get a good forecast?

Yes saturday or sunday as I'm now off work for just over two weeks  (next week forced to have holidays what a wonderful firm I work for :cussing:

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

Yes saturday or sunday as I'm now off work for just over two weeks  (next week forced to have holidays what a wonderful firm I work for :cussing:

I thought you were up at Galloway week after next Damian 

Well, just got back in from my mate's house. Clear skies at 8pm, so got set up, and then the blanket clouds rolled in. Over the next couple of hours I had enough gaps to complete the 3 star align and get my new RDF lined up with the scope. Had a brief viewing of The Pleiades which looked gorgeous as always. Then the clouds were back in force. Time for a brew whilst I surveyed the sky for gaps. Decided it wasn't happening and packed up a little disappointed. Ah well, maybe next time. At least the 8SE came out for a play, even if it was very brief!

IMG_20161022_214510.jpg

Shame it was cloudy again Vicky. Tonight is pretty much the same unfortunately but would've been out. Been working on the scope today or at least making new parts for it for next week at galloway

On 23/10/2016 at 18:40, mapstar said:

Shame it was cloudy again Vicky. Tonight is pretty much the same unfortunately but would've been out. Been working on the scope today or at least making new parts for it for next week at galloway

Bet you are looking forward to getting up there again and seeing some of the regulars. Hope you get your scope sorted this week :)

Managed to get out with the little frac this morning for a quick bit of lunar viewing and imaging before the clouds rolled in. Image taken using Canon 100D and Skywatcher Equinox 80 ED. Single 1/500 second exposure at ISO 200 with light processing in Photoshop Elements 11. Think there is something lovely about a daytime moon :)

The Moon 24.10.2016.jpg

Archived