SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS forum 2

mapstar

Yes, it will mean that Matt, how do you pay currently? I pay monthly DD, so a set amount each month which means it should cover your usage over the year. roughly speaking anyway. I guess it just stops you from giving them your own meter readings, as you should do that now really. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I currently pay same amount and summer offsets the winter. I didn't realise that was still an option afterwards. I figured it would be you pay the amount owed per month regardless.

Im not sold on the whole smart meter thing to be honest, imo its a way in for companies to start charging for peak time energy.

im with first utility and they ask me each month for a meter reading, some months I dont and they estimate it and thats fine, the next time i submit one will be a true reading of what i have used, might be higher or lower than what they have esitmated, but you should always submit some readings at some point, otherwise what your usage is on your bil, might be well above what youve used. of course it could be lower too :) but it will sort its self out.

Are they forcing you to have one? I dont want one. Are you on Economy7? If not, its all charged at the same rate anyway

I normally let them estimate it, although last time they came and read it themselves lol, plus when I recently changed tariff I had to submit them anyway.

No, you can opt out if you want too but the government wants everyone to have one by 2020 - still I think you can opt out for now (Id imagine it'll be compulsory eventually). I don't mind having the little reader thingy anyway, so that I can see the freezer is the highest usage and that I cant do anything about it anyway :glasses2:

Pretty sure it's going to become law that every household has one fitted. It's also coming in to try and combat electricity theft, which apparently adds about £250 per year to every law abiding household's bill. I think they are a fantastic idea and should, in theory, allow you to micro manage your usage and cut your bills - so yes, your fridge/freezer will always be on using the most, but you will be able to detect peak usages and see what is causing them. Eveyone should keep their heating off anyway, as it affects our astro viewing over houses :) And they should keep the lights off and cut the LP. 

Indeed, sit in the cold and dark people, that way your scopes will always be at outside temperature :)   smart meters are a waste of time, i havnt got the time to sit there and look at it lol As you say, the fridge is always on and we cant exactly turn it off can we 

There are some things you can do to help heat the house, I tend to cook in the evening as I'm normally home around 6-7, normally the residue heat from the oven if I leave the door open slightly (and hope the cat doesn't take an interest in climbing in) when its cooling is enough to stop the heating kicking in (thermostat being in the living room), same for when I use the tumble drier. I think that's just for when your super tight like me though lol.

14 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

It was a great night and I'm sure Damian will post a viewing report later tomorrow after work. We both saw a couple of new targets and built up quite a viewing card by the end of the evening. Car unloaded, just packing away before heading to bed. Night all :)

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/279397-stealing-views/

There you go Vic

23 minutes ago, Matt Scunthorpe said:

Think that was the same guy who approached me and Kieran up there to ask if we'd seen anything.Yeah righto :rolleyes2:

1 hour ago, Matt Scunthorpe said:

Funny you should post that when I got home on Thursday after our meeting in the sky at the end of the street was this . Notice the two lights to the left of the lamp post. I stood and watched them for 20 minutes. The never moved and we're still there when I went in. I went out 10 minutes later and there were gone. 

I thought it was a plain coming towards me but it never came as I siad I watched it for 20 minutes.

It's the two biggest of the lights not the smaller one towards the light that's just a flair from the street light 

5B1D76C2-E142-48D0-8FDC-1888F65C91F6-2010-0000015BCD9DFF72.jpg

5 hours ago, astrotyke said:

Clear skies for wakefield/barnsely  tonight. Cloud and mist for Dunford bridge though

I am in Blackpool so no stargazing for me only if I use mk1 eyeballs

Well ive learnt something new about astronomy tonight. Was watching university challenge and they had to guess the missing star from ursa minor that was missed out, it was Polaris, so an eay one, they didnt know it. They guesses Sirius, and Mr Paxmen informed them that it definitely wasnt Sirius as that was in Ursa Major!

Can someone please go outside and check that Sirius hasnt moved please. Cheers :)

7 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Well done Vicky, that looks good.

personally I find the image capturing the easy bit, its the processing that kills me.

onwards and upwards, ? 

Thank you for your encouragement.

Yes, I was saying exactly the same thing! At least now I've got a bit of data I suppose it doesn't matter how many times I play around with it. Processing is not easy, but also, everyone has their own take on it. Give one set of data to 20 people and you'll get 20 different end results. It's all good fun :)

Archived