Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS forum 2

mapstar

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Matt Scunthorpe said:

Has the internet been down nationwide? No posts all day :p

I don't have anything constructive to start a convo with either lol.

The whole forum has been unusually quiet for some time now. Not sure why really? 

I must admit, I only tend to post these days if I've got something astro related to share or comment on. Don't really want to post unrelated topics as it could end up becoming too much of a chat room. People new to the thread may drop in and then they've got to scroll through general chat to pick out the astrononomy. Think we should try to keep it on topic a bit more really, but maybe that's just me. The weather hasn't been great this week, plus we are heading towards full moon again. I wouldn't worry about it. It'll pick up again when we have better skies and people have something to share with the group :)

Indeed Vicky, ive never been one to put general chat on here before (cough) lol but yes, the problem with the forum is that if it moves too quickly  then things are lost in the pages. As for the weather, Sunday night looks our best bet at the moment, but its still early days

3 minutes ago, astrotyke said:

Indeed Vicky, ive never been one to put general chat on here before (cough) lol but yes, the problem with the forum is that if it moves too quickly  then things are lost in the pages. As for the weather, Sunday night looks our best bet at the moment, but its still early days

Yes, I think due to the thread becoming too lengthy on a couple of occasions previously, then maybe it is time for us to monitor what we are posting and keep it on topic.

On a different note, it is full moon on Sunday night which is about typical LOL

If you aske me....my car needs a wash and vac  out, I think paying for bags at the shops is rubbish, footballs a boring game and I'm sick to the back teeth of salads. 

On a different note yes it is full moon on Sunday plus work on Monday so going out is not worth the effort.

Last  night had the biggest Aurora alert I'd ever seen and it was flipping cloudy ??????

16 minutes ago, Mark62 said:

If you aske me....my car needs a wash and vac  out, I think paying for bags at the shops is rubbish, footballs a boring game and I'm sick to the back teeth of salads. 

On a different note yes it is full moon on Sunday plus work on Monday so going out is not worth the effort.

Last  night had the biggest Aurora alert I'd ever seen and it was flipping cloudy ??????

Yep, the aurora alert went mental last night, shame its 'cloud week' this week. Ive got my T-adaptor for the dslr camera that i have, i might be able to have some sort of go with it on sunday despite the full moon.

1 minute ago, Mark62 said:

Just don't forget your narrow field of view Chris. Don't go for something too wide 

Are you sating ive got small eyes?? oh, you mean my scope, i think i should be ok with the camera, but something like m31 would be too wide, so your advice on this occasion is noted :) ill see what its like on the night giv it a go. no idea on camera settings, but ill experiment 

Hi All,

With the weather being so crap, I thought I'd take Soupy's advice and build a more substantial power pack for imaging.

I had been using a skywatcher powerpack but only getting about 3-4hrs out of it.

I bought a 70ah car battery and some cheap electronic components from Amazon/maplins. I've got 3 x12v cigarette lighter type and 2 USB type sockets and a volt meter. Haven't tested it properly but hoping it will power my mount/laptop/guide camera and dew heater.

Been a while since I've done anything like this but enjoyed messing about with it. Has took my mind off the clouds for a while if nothing else.

dec

IMG_9865.JPG

That looks brilliant Dec. Great job. I wish I had the knowhow to attempt such a project. I have my Celestron power tank, but as you said I only get about 2 hours out of it. For longer sessions I've to be hooked to the mains or running the inverter from the car. Perhaps at some point in the future I might feel brave enough to tackle a project like this :)

Thanks Vicky,

I'm no expert at this sort of stuff, only really had a go after a chat with Soupy at the last meeting.

I'm sure I've overlooked something basic but will hopefully get to test it out next clear night.

Dec

7 hours ago, astrotyke said:

Yea looks good Dec ::) Hope it tests out ok for you. I need to do something similar if I ever take my laptop out with me as i currently have no power source

Thanks Chris. Yeah I have the same problem with my laptop. Few tips on SGL were to put it on flight mode and turn brightness down. This made a difference but still not enough for a long imaging session.

I picked up a 12v laptop charger on amazon for about £20 and tested it. It's appears to work ok so fingers crossed.

Archived