Newbie introduction

fortytwo

Good evening everyone,

A new member here with a short introduction.

I am 45 and a recent member of the West of London Astronomical Society, or WOLAS.

I have always had a fascination for the night sky, but unfortunately my fascination far exceeds my knowledge of same!!!!

I have for many years only used binoculars and was amazed when I realised that you could see its moons through them and so a few years ago bought an 8" Skywatcher reflector on an EQ5.

That was soon followed by a 5" refractor, Skywatcher again, and then a few weeks ago by a second hand driven EQ5pro, from a chap who I believe is a member here. That purchase was pretty inevitable as I have been a life long, keen, and I like to think fairly accomplished, photographer, and the desire to start astrophotography has always been strong.

My first foray with my new mount last weekend went reasonably well, (on the second attempt), the first attempt saw the telescope slewing to view my lawn!!!!

Apart from astronomy as mentioned I am keen photographer and extremely familiar with PSE10 so hopefully that will help. I enjoy spending time with my family and being down in Wittering on the South Coast each summer to enjoy darker skies than locally in West London. I would also really like to learn to fly one day!!!!

Well enough of my ramblings, I have many questions for you all but will post somewhere more appropriate.

KInd regards,

Jeff.

Hi Jeff and welcome to SGL! Glad to have you on board! I too started off years ago as a keen daytime photographer .... the rest is history!

If you've not already  done so, go onto the FLO website, book section and buy a copy of Making Every photon count. It's something of an imagers bible..... read it once, twice, thrice and only when you understand what you need and why should you be permitted to spend any money :D:D ALso if you go to the imaging section, you will see a mountain of images and most people list the equipment it was taken with, so that's helpful for you to see. 

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Jeff and welcome to SGL, if you are bent on going over to the dark side ( Astrophotography ) the book Sara mentioned, "Making Every Photon Count" should be your next priority purchase. Enjoy the forum :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived