Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New SW AZ5

mikeDnight

12 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

I'd like to have seen it capable of more than the AZ4.

I wonder if the tripod is the limiting factor? Looks pretty light to me.

Edit - looking at the weights, the az5 tripod is half the weight (2.6kg) as the steel az4 tripod (5.6kg).

Edited by JoeP

I wonder how difficult it would be fashion a little converter plate so that the AZ5 head can be attached to the AZ4 tripod.....and if there will be enough demand that someone might start producing these. 

I would like the AZ5, but don't have the available funds right now. Might hold out for some reviews to appear before I decide to purchase. Plus....I don't think I've seen anything but clouds for months :hmh:

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

I wonder if the tripod is the limiting factor? Looks pretty light to me.

This is a good point. I'd be interested to see someones comparison with the same head and different tripods. I hadn't thought of this, but was surprised by the 5kg.

The skywatcher AZ4 manual states the same load capacity for both steel and aluminium leg versions:

https://storage.googleapis.com/skywatcher-canada/upfiles/en_download_caty01334362158.pdf

1 hour ago, davyludo said:

I wonder how difficult it would be fashion a little converter plate so that the AZ5 head can be attached to the AZ4 tripod.....and if there will be enough demand that someone might start producing these. 

I would like the AZ5, but don't have the available funds right now. Might hold out for some reviews to appear before I decide to purchase. Plus....I don't think I've seen anything but clouds for months :hmh:

This is a good point. I'd be interested to see someones comparison with the same head and different tripods. I hadn't thought of this, but was surprised by the 5kg.

The skywatcher AZ4 manual states the same load capacity for both steel and aluminium leg versions:

https://storage.googleapis.com/skywatcher-canada/upfiles/en_download_caty01334362158.pdf

Berlebach do an adapter :wink2:

https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=123&sprache=english

Helen

• Like 2

4 hours ago, davyludo said:

This is interesting. TS Optics have advertised an AZ5 for quite some time. Its similar but not the same and thats rated at 8Kg.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8069_TS-Optics-Altazimuth-Mount-with-Fine-Adjustment-and-Quick-Release.html

11 minutes ago, Alfian said:

Its similar but not the same 

It is a different mount, not related to the Sky-Watcher AZ5.

We considered sourcing the same from the manufacturer in China but when we heard the Sky-Watcher's AZ5 was in the pipeline we chose not to. 

• Like 1

Perhaps I should have said "similar" in appearance or concept even, but "different".  It would be interesting to know how they compare in use, ie quality of engineering etc but I suspect that might a while coming.

22 hours ago, davyludo said:

Already thought about talking to my local machinist about this, but....

21 hours ago, Helen said:

Helen made a good find there :)

21 hours ago, Rick_It said:

Indeed, the tripod IS the limit. On the Skywatcher Italian website, listed as coming soon, there is the AZ5 with the same tripod as the AZ/EQ-5: payload is 9kg.

http://www.skywatcher.it/prodotto/montatura-altazimutale-az5/

The webpage say also "fluid movements with friction block".

This is a game changer, got me thinking about the mount again, fitte dto the CG5 tripod and...

20 hours ago, FLO said:

I didn't know they did one, what a good idea :smile: 

We'll order some for stock. 

Steve 

Steve, I think you'd be on to a winner there.

One final thing I'd like to see is an ADM saddle to fit, stop all that dovetail munching that the locking screws cause.

Edited by parallaxerr

3 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

This is a game changer, got me thinking about the mount again and...

After some pondering....I'm thinking about potentially getting the AZ5+tripod package to use for grab and go viewing/camping trips (seeing as it sounds pretty light compared to AZ4). Then buying the adaptor so that I can use the AZ5 head on the AZ4 steel tripod for home viewing. The AZ4 head might end up just gathering dust!

Think I'll hold off until John has had the chance to review the AZ5 and Pronto mounts. Plus wait for FLO to get the Berlebach adaptors in and just order it all in one go. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Can I  just confirm here that this AZ5 will fit onto a normal tripod, via the screw used for the head?  I'm not sure what size it is, but I guess 3/8.

Steve (FLO) stated a 3/8 photo head in this thread -

I have a very good Cullmann Photo Tripod and I am considering the new AZ5 Head only to carry my Heritage 130P on trips.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks, a friend just sent me a photo of the AZ5 that arrived with him yesterday.  He has an ED120 mounted on it comfortably.  I think I've made my mind up.

The exact setup I had in mind, was worried the ED120 may be a bit too long for the AZ5 so will be interested to hear any feedback.

I see Skywatcher have also released an AZ-GTI Wifi mount based on the same pier and tripod. @FLO Will you be stocking this mount also? I've been following the Wifi tech since the Celestron Evo was released, but always hear mixed reviews regarding Goto via a tablet so can't make up my mind about it.

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/sky-watcher-az-gti-mount.html#SID=568

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks, a friend just sent me a photo of the AZ5 that arrived with him yesterday.  He has an ED120 mounted on it comfortably.  I think I've made my mind up.

When I test the AZ5, I'll be trying 3 scopes on it:

Skywatcher ED120 F/7.5

Takahashi FC 100 F/9

Vixen 102 F/6.5

When I had an AZ-4 I found the ED120 just a little too much for that mount even when it was on a 2" steel tubed tripod.

It will be interesting to see how the AZ5 fares. FLO are also sending me the Pronto version to compare with the AZ5 as well.

Thanks FLO :icon_salut:

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I see Skywatcher have also released an AZ-GTI Wifi mount based on the same pier and tripod. @FLO Will you be stocking this mount also? 

We also received details today and will almost certainly be stocking it but we are all in the warehouse today stock-taking(!) so are unable to assess it.

We will check it out Monday then add it to our website, we will also post details here at SGL. 

Thanks for asking :smile: 

Steve 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John said:

When I test the AZ5, I'll be trying 3 scopes on it:

Skywatcher ED120 F/7.5

Takahashi FC 100 F/9

Vixen 102 F/6.5

When I had an AZ-4 I found the ED120 just a little too much for that mount even when it was on a 2" steel tubed tripod.

It will be interesting to see how the AZ5 fares. FLO are also sending me the Pronto version to compare with the AZ5 as well.

Thanks FLO :icon_salut:

Thanks John! Don't forget to look also at the Pronto. I like it, it's a good match with a lightweight APO for day/night and travel. Try to find out how large a telescope can be with that mount. If an 80 ED works fine with it, it may be a nice combination. And tells us abouth smoothness of the movements!

51 minutes ago, Rick_It said:

Thanks John! Don't forget to look also at the Pronto. I like it, it's a good match with a lightweight APO for day/night and travel. Try to find out how large a telescope can be with that mount. If an 80 ED works fine with it, it may be a nice combination. And tells us abouth smoothness of the movements!

Will do !