SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from the cotswolds

Thierry05

Hi, I've just joined this forum since I have started to get back to astrophotography, finally. I first tried a couple of years ago but unfortunately stopped due to how much light pollution there is in my area. I've now came back to it, hopefully to try counteract any problems I will get on the way for I really want to try take some deep sky images. I live on the edge of the cotswolds, near cheltenham, light pollution is a bit of a problem here but I have been able to take some very poor deep sky images. Hopefully I will be going on this forum often so that I can improve my skills at astrophotography and contribute to the community. 

DSC_0210.NEF

Hi welcome.

Firstly if you do have a light polution problem please go to the petition web site in my signature and sign it if you agree. 

To combat that problem you may need to go down the narrowband filter route. Be sure first though as it is time consuming and costs. Read as much on this forum as you can before attempting it. There is and will be many bits of useful advice.

Derek

Hi, welcome to SGL :)

There are ways around light pollution. You'll also need tracking - your image shows star trails. With that sorted there's no reason why you shouldn't produce decent images.

A good tip for the forum is to convert your files to jpg for upload so people can see them. I can view your image because i have Nikon software ;)

Greetings, Thierry, and welcome to SGL - it's good of you to join us!

You came at a good time for addressing light-pollution, a petition is circulating to reign this problem in. You may also find a wealth if information from here:

http://darksky.org/

Especially helpful if you wish to take a more proactive stance to address this global mess.

Be seeing you around -

Dave

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and hope that you enjoy your time here.

There's a few of us imagers knocking about, and many people do image from cities, so there's ways around the light pollution for sure. Narrowband is a good way to counter LP to an extent, but it will require long exposures and a mono CCD camera will work best.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

14 hours ago, Thierry05 said:

Hi, I've just joined this forum since I have started to get back to astrophotography, finally. I first tried a couple of years ago but unfortunately stopped due to how much light pollution there is in my area. I've now came back to it, hopefully to try counteract any problems I will get on the way for I really want to try take some deep sky images. I live on the edge of the cotswolds, near cheltenham, light pollution is a bit of a problem here but I have been able to take some very poor deep sky images. Hopefully I will be going on this forum often so that I can improve my skills at astrophotography and contribute to the community. 

DSC_0210.NEF

Hi Thierry

I live in Bishops Cleeve if you need to chat some time.

cheers

gaj

Hi all, and thanks for the warm welcome. I've taken in some of the advice some of you have given such as using a light pollution filter and a tracking mount, and I had both already, Its probably because I didn't use them together though, and I only just got a motorized mount about a week ago with the new sky watcher 8" that we bought. Now the only problem left would be how to get some sufficient magnification while mounting a camera (for it is hard to look at planets like Jupiter with a camera mount as I tried last night because it was so small, that even 24 mega pixels was not enough to take a picture) and I will probably be able to get some nice astro images soon.

Hi and welcome - we are all stuck with some light pollution but filters and imaging techniques overcome a lot - H alpha gives good data most places! - in Worthing I have quite a lot to cope with despite masking my local lights with the neighbours and council agreement- the challenge is always to produce an attractive image and you certainly can from your location I think - best wishes Tony.

Archived