Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Cornwall

djh

Hi, I have been lurking on here for a few months and thought I had best say hello.

My names Dave and I live at the end of the world (well Cornwall UK), where the clouds and rain hold supreme. I am just getting back into astronomy after a break of 30 odd years (marriage, kids and never ending work), so having forgotten everything I knew as a teenager, I am back to being a complete newbie.

I started taking pictures of the night sky last year and bumbled along on my own steam with just a tripod and various lenses seeing what worked. After a bit of research (well Google) I found an article about barn door trackers and decided to have a go at building one. After a bit of modifying and tweaking, it works a treat, managing 4 mins on a 24mm lens and even 30 seconds on a 135mm lens.

With the help of tutorials on Youtube about DSS, Photoshop and such I’m starting to get to grips with imaging.  I now have a small telescope (ST80) and I’m in the process of sorting out a suitable mount for this (it’s a bit too heavy for the Barndoor). Hopefully I will have time over the summer to get everything ready for the longer nights at Autumn.

in the meantime, this place is a goldmine of knowledge and wished I had chanced upon it ages ago.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi David and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and hope that you enjoy your time here. There's a few of us imagers knocking about ( :) ) so if you get stuck just shout.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Dave

Welcome to the great place of knowledge and help that is SGL

As said, there are plenty of imagers on here, of varying degrees from absolute beginners and numpties (that is aimed at myself) all the way up to imaging gods (you know who you are there Olly), but no one is above passing on the information and knowledge they have, if you have a question, ask away and someone will answer in a very constructive and helpful way.  This is THE friendliest and helpful forum I have ever been on.

I know how you are with permacloud and rain...only being just over the 'right' side of the Tamar :tongue:

Looking forward to seeing more posts from you and also seeing some images as and when you get them.

Hi Dave,

Welcome back to Astronomy and to the SGL.  I wish that I'd found this site a little earlier than I did, too - it would've reduced the frustration considerably when I first started up, and probably the amount of money spent too!

Have fun ...

Thank you all for such a warm welcome and one day I hope to have an image worthy enough to post here.

In the meantime I can post an image of my 'Bodge and Scarper' Barndoor tracker.

It looks a mess, but seems to work fine now, after a lot of tinkering.

IMGA0016.jpgIMGA0021.jpg 

Archived