Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Petition to regulate light pollution

billyharris72

1 hour ago, astrotyke said:

I guess im the one signature for Barnsley central? although youll be classed as that arnt you Damian?

I'm not sure Chris? Would've thought so 

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm curious Billy - how few signatures when you spotted it? It must have been languishing for three months or more as no-one knew about it!

From what I remember I was number 57. Maybe 58. If we keep this up we might get a response. An empty, noncomital response for sure, but at least it flags it up.

1423 at the moment, and looks like a lot more publicity is going to be required to get to the 10k mark.  Somehow we need to get more organisations behind it:

E.G. Nature and wildlife groups, RNIB, Rural groups , BBC Springwatch (new series is coming up - Chris Packham might be a good ally!)  etc.

SR

25 minutes ago, Physopto said:

I have past on the info to South Sields and Sunderland Astro Societies. Hope others do similar. Posted on Facebook as well. 

Done the same with our society Derek. Yes facebook and twitter too. Also added it to my signature to raise awareness on here 

It seems these petitions can work when addressing sensible and achievable issues: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/118005

What's needed is a concrete proposal about light pollution, something that addresses subtle issues like problems of wide-band LED lighting and the transport hub near me that's exempt from existing rules for H&S reasons that let it keep its lights on all night despite being closed!

My suggestion is that the Government should commission an evidence-based 'Darker Skies Strategy' for the UK.

If there's general agreement we could all drop this suggestion to letters to MPs etc.

We need to draw the petition to the attention of relevant public figures, academics and researchers in fields affected by LP.

1706 now...

The majority of people just don't care about stuff like this I'm afraid. If it doesn't involve an iPhone or iSomething they can't be bothered.

Would be handy to put this up on the front page?

Had a thought and just emailed both The Sky at Night and Astronomy Now asking for help in advertising this petition. Just maybe they will help.

If more of us do the same it may put more weight to the matter. Easy to do on their websites.

Derek

14 hours ago, sheeprug said:

E.G. Nature and wildlife groups, RNIB, Rural groups , BBC Springwatch (new series is coming up - Chris Packham might be a good ally!)  etc.

SR

I think Wildlife & Chris Packham is a good idea.  (Chris Packham would never be able to comment on BBC Springwatch but including it in some twitter thing).  Maybe somebody should e-mail him (maybe just one person, not anoy people with a flood of mails).

13 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It seems these petitions can work when addressing sensible and achievable issues: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/118005

What's needed is a concrete proposal about light pollution, something that addresses subtle issues like problems of wide-band LED lighting and the transport hub near me that's exempt from existing rules for H&S reasons that let it keep its lights on all night despite being closed!

My suggestion is that the Government should commission an evidence-based 'Darker Skies Strategy' for the UK.

If there's general agreement we could all drop this suggestion to letters to MPs etc.

We need to draw the petition to the attention of relevant public figures, academics and researchers in fields affected by LP.

Even if the petition fails to get to 10,000 signatures, it is still (even now) a surprising success (given how many such petitions get nowhere).  So I think now, following the petition is a good time for such a move.  But getting people to write to their MPs is a lot more work that clicking a button.  So what is needed is a template letter on a web form (so people can customise) which you enter name, address and it finds and e-mails it to your MP.  And that would normally need an organisation to set it up.  CfDS maybe or CPRE.  Not something most amateurs would do (though absolutely no reason why somebody shouldn't).

Ian

1 hour ago, psamathe said:

I think Wildlife & Chris Packham is a good idea.  (Chris Packham would never be able to comment on BBC Springwatch but including it in some twitter thing).  Maybe somebody should e-mail him (maybe just one person, not anoy people with a flood of mails).

FWIW I've just e-mailed Springwatch  (springwatch@bbc.co.uk) and the RSPB.   I suspect flooding them with e-mails might not be a good idea, but a few more e-mails may be a good thing.

SR

I cannot believe there are still some large areas of the country (Angus, Ochil and south Perthshire, Workington, North Shropshire and Carmarthen East) without a single signature yet? 

3 hours ago, psamathe said:

Even if the petition fails to get to 10,000 signatures, it is still (even now) a surprising success (given how many such petitions get nowhere).  So I think now, following the petition is a good time for such a move.  But getting people to write to their MPs is a lot more work that clicking a button.  So what is needed is a template letter on a web form (so people can customise) which you enter name, address and it finds and e-mails it to your MP.  And that would normally need an organisation to set it up.  CfDS maybe or CPRE.  Not something most amateurs would do (though absolutely no reason why somebody shouldn't).

Ian

We have over 50,000 members here what is wrong!!!!!

It needs to be put up FRONT on our web site.

Come on FLO help us out.

Derek

17 minutes ago, Physopto said:

We have over 50,000 members here what is wrong!!!!!

It needs to be put up FRONT on our web site.

Come on FLO help us out.

Derek

I agree Derek. How many of the 50k members are active? 

It should be made high priority on here perhaps not by FLO but the admins and mods? 

Archived