Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Petition to regulate light pollution

billyharris72

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been at least two petitions on light pollution over the past few years. Both were featured on this forum.

I think the most subscribed one got to around 4,500 signatures. I hope this one does better.

I've shared this on the Norwich Astro members forum and tweeted the 39 other Astro societies that we 'know' via Twitter.  If we also approach the wildlife groups too, it has to be achieveable to reach the first target.  

Well I am now in the position to post the emails as permission has been obtained.

"

On 14/05/2016 6:52 AM, Bob Mizon wrote:
Dear Derek
We have been promoting the petition vigorously via our CfDS Twitter and Facebook , and e-mailing astronomy groups and forums  about it. I have also put it in the agenda for the CfDS committee meeting tomorrow where we will discuss ways of further supporting it. 
I wish it success. We have been talking to DEFRA for 25 years about proper legislation to protect the night sky, and so far have achieved the limited legislation of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act section 102, 2005; but of course our ultimate aim is strict control of lighting to specifically counter skyglow. 
All initiatives towards that end are most welcome. 
Best wishes
Bob Mizon
Coordinator 
BAA Commission for Dark Skies 

Dear Bob,
Thank you for the reply to my email.
I am afraid I am not a member of Twitter. I was at one time but was inundated with pointless emails and cancelled the account. I am on Facebook though.

To date I have never seen any of The CfDS posts concerning a petition. This suggests that your efforts are going unnoticed by many not just me. I have also not seen any posts on Stargazers Lounge concerning this matter, but it is easy to miss things if they are not emblazoned in bright lights! This is unfortunate as I would support almost any measure to clean up our environmental corruption of the night sky.

I must admit the short reply from Madeleine Davey was a bit of a disappointment, but now realise she was pointing me quite correctly in the right direction.

I am sure if these matters can be clearly brought to the attention of the members of SGL many of us  will add our support. To this end would you mind if I post your reply in its entirety on SGL.

If you email me  about future matters to do with "Light Pollution" or matters pertaining, I will post these on SGL for all members to see and comment on.

Some clear information on joining the CfDS would also be appreciated. One problem many do not like, me included, is if after joining any organisation they are constantly bothered with email after email. It puts many people off.

Regards,
 Derek Brown

Dear Derek
You are right that there remain various directions we can still try to get the petition rolling faster. 
I'll contact the Southern Area Group of Astronomical Societies (SAGAS) today to enlist their help, and ask Stephen Tonkin(CfDS webmaster to whom I've copied this) to provide a link. Steve is on SLG, I believe. 
Steve, the link is

Please could you add it to the website? Thank you. 

Derek, to join CfDS you need only subscribe to the newsletter which you can order via Madeleine Davey. £4 for 2 years' issues, 2 per year in spring and autumn. If you wish to contribute to funds as a one-off or regularly, please let me know. Just spreading the word about light pollution is more than enough, though!
Best regards 
Bob
"

44 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Well I am now in the position to post the emails as permission has been obtained.

"

On 14/05/2016 6:52 AM, Bob Mizon wrote:
Dear Derek
We have been promoting the petition vigorously via our CfDS Twitter and Facebook , and e-mailing astronomy groups and forums  about it. I have also put it in the agenda for the CfDS committee meeting tomorrow where we will discuss ways of further supporting it. 
I wish it success. We have been talking to DEFRA for 25 years about proper legislation to protect the night sky, and so far have achieved the limited legislation of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act section 102, 2005; but of course our ultimate aim is strict control of lighting to specifically counter skyglow. 
All initiatives towards that end are most welcome. 
Best wishes
Bob Mizon
Coordinator 
BAA Commission for Dark Skies 

Dear Bob,
Thank you for the reply to my email.
I am afraid I am not a member of Twitter. I was at one time but was inundated with pointless emails and cancelled the account. I am on Facebook though.

To date I have never seen any of The CfDS posts concerning a petition. This suggests that your efforts are going unnoticed by many not just me. I have also not seen any posts on Stargazers Lounge concerning this matter, but it is easy to miss things if they are not emblazoned in bright lights! This is unfortunate as I would support almost any measure to clean up our environmental corruption of the night sky.

I must admit the short reply from Madeleine Davey was a bit of a disappointment, but now realise she was pointing me quite correctly in the right direction.

I am sure if these matters can be clearly brought to the attention of the members of SGL many of us  will add our support. To this end would you mind if I post your reply in its entirety on SGL.

If you email me  about future matters to do with "Light Pollution" or matters pertaining, I will post these on SGL for all members to see and comment on.

Some clear information on joining the CfDS would also be appreciated. One problem many do not like, me included, is if after joining any organisation they are constantly bothered with email after email. It puts many people off.

Regards,
 Derek Brown

Dear Derek
You are right that there remain various directions we can still try to get the petition rolling faster. 
I'll contact the Southern Area Group of Astronomical Societies (SAGAS) today to enlist their help, and ask Stephen Tonkin(CfDS webmaster to whom I've copied this) to provide a link. Steve is on SLG, I believe. 
Steve, the link is

Please could you add it to the website? Thank you. 

Derek, to join CfDS you need only subscribe to the newsletter which you can order via Madeleine Davey. £4 for 2 years' issues, 2 per year in spring and autumn. If you wish to contribute to funds as a one-off or regularly, please let me know. Just spreading the word about light pollution is more than enough, though!
Best regards 
Bob
"

Well done!   That looks like some progress.

SR

Well done on the reply Derek

Looks like the uptake of the petition has slowed down somewhat today. Only 200 signatures added up to now.

Hopefully it will pick up a little more pace tomorrow.

I agree, more does need to be done. I have already signed and emailed family and friends to do the same, which they have. I will also be enlisting the help of people at work. Onwards and upwards.

11 minutes ago, Physopto said:

I do not understand how this forum is not responding En masse ! Surely people are aware by now?

It is in all our best interests.

Derek I am pursuing this to see if we can get it brought to the attention of everyone on here. 

I think it needs to be spread to wildlife groups as well.  Light pollution can have a bad impact on wildlife (nocturnal animals tend to like the dark and tend not to get up until the light has gone - I've lost all the local bats and hedgehogs since neighbour installed outside lighting - apparently necessary whilst they sit indoors watching TV or in bed asleep).

The wider the audience of supporters the more potential signatures.

(though not suggesting people don't pass it on the astronomers and astronomy clubs)

Ian

48 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Derek I am pursuing this to see if we can get it brought to the attention of everyone on here. 

Yes, but how? I would have thought that by now those concerned who run this web site would have been able to highlight the petition on the Home Page of SGL!

If it is not highlighted it is likely to be missed. I have contacted Sunderland and South Shields astro clubs.

What about a post on                                      

•  

Official SGL Announcements and Events

and

Social Groups & Observatories

Also signed on behalf of both my parents (with their permission and approval - they are no so confident about such things on the internet).  So two more perfectly legal/valid signatures.  I don't have kids to get them to sign.

Ian

Shot a simple press release off to a couple of my local papers with two of my more presentable images (Jupiter and M31) as examples of what you can and can't see through the LP. Thought pretty pictures more likely to get it used...

Let's see what happens!

Hi everyone,

I have had a response from Astro Buy and Sell.

I include the original email and reply below.

"

Hi Paul,

I have used your site several times in the past to sell equipment. The  thought occurred to me you might be willing to help with.

I am a member of several astronomy related web sites including SGL.

We on SGL,  were informed just recently about a petition to combat light pollution, it unfortunately only has another two months to run. It is endorsed by the CfDS and information is on their web site. Since becoming aware quite late unfortunately we have been trying to advertise this petition in the hope of getting enough signatures to get the matter discussed in Parliament. In the short time we have been trying, a matter of a few days, the count has risen from just 58 to about 2300 plus.

I was wondering if you would be willing to advertise this on your web page.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119428

Any help would be appreciated as it is in all our interests here in the UK.

Regards,

Derek

"

The reply was from Elsie the owner of the website.

"

Hello Derek,

Elsie here as Paul is currently away from the office until days end.  Firstly, let me thank you for using my site, much appreciated.
I have looked at the link you provided and I see no reason not to help an important issue at hand.  Please go ahead and enter an advert and I will subsequently feature it for free for the 2 months.  I am certain many, if not all users,  will sign the petition as a result of becoming aware of it.

Cheers,
Elsie
-owner

"

I am indebted to Elsie for the quick response of help in this matter. Please look on Astro Buy and Sell for the advert.  But I include the add here as well.

Petition to Introduce Legislation to Combat light Pollution here in the UK.

Please read if you are an astronomer as it concerns you!

We on SGL,  were informed just recently about a petition to combat light pollution, it unfortunately only has another two months to run. It is endorsed by the CfDS and information is on their web site. Since becoming aware quite late unfortunately we have been trying to advertise this petition in the hope of getting enough signatures to get the matter discussed in Parliament. In the short time we have been trying, a matter of a few days, the count has risen from just 58 to about 2400 plus.

Time is of the essence if we are to get any real and meaningful response from the Government. We need 10,000 signatures just to elicit any response. If the number of signatories manages to pass 100,000 there hopefully will be a governmental debate on this issue.

Here in the UK as in many other countries we are plagued by ill conceived lighting. It affects the night sky and the health of ourselves and our children, not to mention wild life.

There are other issues but as astronomers we should act to at least try to limit the spread of light pollution.

Your signatures will be appreciated. Thank you for reading.

I just hope this helps along the petition.

Derek

Archived