Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Petition to regulate light pollution

billyharris72

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, astronymonkey said:

Hi Derek,

Ive seen the ABS advert which is a great idea. I wondered though if the website address for the petition could be a hyperlink though to avoid the need for folk to retype it into their browser to find the page.

Cheers

I would change it if I knew how. Always open to learn something new. Just never done that before.

Derek

1 hour ago, astronymonkey said:

Hi Derek,

Ive seen the ABS advert which is a great idea. I wondered though if the website address for the petition could be a hyperlink though to avoid the need for folk to retype it into their browser to find the page.

Cheers

It isn't too difficult with copy and paste though if people know how to do that 

7 hours ago, Physopto said:

Yes, but how? I would have thought that by now those concerned who run this web site would have been able to highlight the petition on the Home Page of SGL!

If it is not highlighted it is likely to be missed. I have contacted Sunderland and South Shields astro clubs.

What about a post on                                      

•  

Official SGL Announcements and Events

and

Social Groups & Observatories

He did it the correct way. by messaging admin.

1 hour ago, astronymonkey said:

Hi Derek,

Cheers

In Firebox you can highlight and right-click on a URL that isn't hyperlinked and choose to follow it. Some lesser browsers may offer the same  handy trick ;-)

To reach the most people, be certain to get it into the hands of mothers & fathers of kids -  or will be. As IDSA has information that LP damages and/or stops the proper development of children's brains, this approach will be capable of making far more people sign-on than just catering to us weirdo astronomy-folks. It should also appeal to environmentalists due to LP being associated with the decline and extinction of certain species of life on this planet.

Dave - in activist-hat

7 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

To reach the most people, be certain to get it into the hands of mothers & fathers of kids -  or will be. As IDSA has information that LP damages and/or stops the proper development of children's brains, this approach will be capable of making far more people sign-on than just catering to us weirdo astronomy-folks. It should also appeal to environmentalists due to LP being associated with the decline and extinction of certain species of life on this planet.

Dave - in activist-hat

It seems to take a lot to motivate some.  I posted it on another astronomy forum and it's had two replies one "we need a petition against contrails and clouds" and another "we feel your pain [about the clouds]" - no "I've signed" or anything along those lines.

Posted on a wildlife forum and so far no responses atall.  It gets difficult to know quite how to motivate people.

Write to long a list of reasons an the short attention span our society seems to suffer from means people wont even start reading it, but not include reasons impacting each individual and they'll think "does not apply to me" and wont sign.  I do often despair about our selfish disinterested society.

I there must be loads of astro society members around the country and there can't be many astro clubs that have not received word of the petition - so why not more signatures?

Ian

I can't believe there are only circa 3000 amateur astronomers in the UK.

If this was Eurovision it would have reached its peak within the hour...

Perhaps some side-by-side images will help, you know like they have on a packet of cigarettes with photos of some lungs.

42 minutes ago, astrotyke said:

Deadline for the 10000 signatures is the 22nd July, so 2 months to go, its been running for 4 months but only just been found. it currently has  2666 signings.

This is often a problem with these things going live without an implementation plan wrapped around it. It would have been good if all astro groups and nature groups, along with interested high profile people, were all made aware early on with some of the key people being made aware before the petition was posted.  People need a regular and consistent message to persuade them to sign up and telling them once isnt enough .... thats why companies show the same advert over ad over again for a number of months. Theres lots of theories around this, Kotters 8 step change model is a good starter for 10 ....

Cheers

yea agrree with you on that point. unless they tried to get people interested in it and couldnt. it was started by a man called Michael Hendle. Does anyone know him by any chance on here?

Archived