New to stargazerslounge! Also new to all of this

RippyTheGator

Hello all!

Just thought I would introduce myself, I am new to this site and to amateur astronomy in general. My name is Casey and I live in British Columbia, Canada. I have a background in science (undergraduate degree in physics), and I have always wanted a telescope as long as I can remember. I finally have taken the dive at 26 years of age and looking very forward to it! I have read numerous books about telescopes and observing but just have never actually owned a telescope ha. My wife just purchased me a 'Orion Starmax 127mm Equatorial Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope'. 

It's all set up now, so just waiting on a clear sky to take it out for a run. Even though I have read books and feel like I know what is going on I am sure I will have problems and lots of questions so that is basically why I joined, to gain more knowledge from the experienced ones. 

Anyway nice to meet you all. Seems like a helpful community. 

Casey

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Casey and welcome to the forum. British Columbia has some stunning scenery for sure and I am assuming some great skies to match - you're a very lucky man! Don't hesitate to ask questions as there is plenty of experience here ready to help you get up and running too.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Nice telescope, hope you thoroughly enjoy it! I guess there may be some spectacular dark skies in parts of B.C. My grandmother lived in Vancouver and although I sadly never visited her, she always sent me "Beautiful British Colombia" magazine when I was a kid.

51 minutes ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Nice telescope, hope you thoroughly enjoy it! I guess there may be some spectacular dark skies in parts of B.C. My grandmother lived in Vancouver and although I sadly never visited her, she always sent me "Beautiful British Colombia" magazine when I was a kid.

Ya got some beautiful dark skies here, especially the more north you go! I am about 45 mins out of Vancouver sadly, so quite a bit of light pollution, but you don't need to drive to far east to get to dark skies. 

Welcome to the lounge. Your wife has made a good choice for a telescope. You will be able to get nice pictures of e.g. Jupiter. Under a dark sky, you can see lot of nice deep sky objects (DSOs) with it as well. Under light polluted skies, DSOs will be a bit more difficult for find.

A very warm welcome to SGL Casey. The folks on here are very friendly and helpful. Enjoy your new found hobby, you never know your wife might just join you under the stars!

Have a great time observing.

Clear, dark skies.

Cheers,
Steve

Welcome to the SGL Casey! You will have a heck of a time as all of us here. You will find very friendly and warm people always willing to help. You will learn a ton of stuff here. Clear skies always and I am waiting for your first observing report!

Cheers from Greece

Tzitzis

Archived