Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway 2017 Spring Gathering

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Physopto said:

Well Damian and Ian have turned up. They were helped to set up tents etc., wind a bit up still. Not raining much, just odd spits. Have to instruct them on protocol, warm beers just not an option   :eek:

Are you saying that Lesley's advice to stay away was wrong? :mellow:

Well the weather here in the north east has moderated somewhat so I hope Doris has had her day and we can get on with some stargazing; once my tent is pitched :)

Andy & Sandra

34 minutes ago, AndyKeogh said:

Are you saying that Lesley's advice to stay away was wrong? :mellow:

Well the weather here in the north east has moderated somewhat so I hope Doris has had her day and we can get on with some stargazing; once my tent is pitched :)

Andy & Sandra

No her advice was correct at the time. We have had quite high winds until about 1600 hrs. Then dropped and climbed again. Now dropped but full cloud cover. Had spits of rain but OK at present. Field wet but chance of drying a bit over night if we are lucky. Weather uncertain as BBC app says some clear spells tonight whilst xcweather says not until Sunday  midnight. Just waiting in hope. Still plenty of good spirits and good spirits.  ??

Derek

Well off to bed now in hope that tomorrow show promise,  Car is still packed so it will be a quick decision after breakfast :) and a BBC weather check.

Just had a look at the BBC site and it is looking good for you guys after midnight......... assuming the spirit has not got you first.

I'm booked for Fri, Sat and Sun but my plans are up in the air a bit - no pun intended.

Total blackout in our village from lunchtime today and we're still without leccy with no signs of it coming back on soon - the clouds cleared for about 30 mins and I made the most of the light pollution free skies.

Using a 12v battery to run the router via an inverter so still in contact with the outside world.

House alarm going off and freezer will be starting to thaw soon if this carries on.

Undecided about what to do yet about driving up tomorrow especially if the power is still off as I can't leave my wife and kids in the dark.

Sounds like the attendees up there are enjoying themselves and hopefully you'll see something soon.

Morning all,

Weather this morning is calm and sunny. Unfortunately by the time clear skies appeared we were all too tired to take advantage of them

It was clear from around midnight but very murky with high cloud making for mushy views although only with mk1 eyeball as I'd not set the scope up.

Will have a good look at the forecast and see if it's worth it for tonight. 

Safe journey to those arriving today and those leaving. 

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

Morning all,

Weather this morning is calm and sunny. Unfortunately by the time clear skies appeared we were all too TIRED  ?  to take advantage of them

It was clear from around midnight but very murky with high cloud making for mushy views although only with mk1 eyeball as I'd not set the scope up.

Will have a good look at the forecast and see if it's worth it for tonight. 

Safe journey to those arriving today and those leaving. 

Love the TIRED  ? bit...... ???????

On 22/02/2017 at 22:32, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Stuart,

Sorry to see that you are arriving on Friday afternoon, as I am leaving on Friday morning.

See you at the Autumn event.

We are bracing ourselves for the storm, fortified by Highland Park, it is currently windless here, with a few rain drops peppering the tent.

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Thanks Adrian for the daily update you certainly give the weather forecasters a run for their money. I'm still undecided re weather If I come down I'll be sleeping in the van hopefully not being rocked to sleep, I don't fancy fighting and drying a tent out just for  a couple of nights gazing. Have a safe journey yourself and hopefully catch up on Autumn. 

Oh ye of little faith, 2am onwards was clear and just improved until 7am when i turned in,me and Dave watched a beautiful moonrise,and Saturn was a lovely sight,along with hundreds of geese, and numerous flyovers,it was frosty but no wind, more later,

Mike

23 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

Oh ye of little faith, 2am onwards was clear and just improved until 7am when i turned in,me and Dave watched a beautiful moonrise,and Saturn was a lovely sight,along with hundreds of geese, and numerous flyovers,it was frosty but no wind, more later,

Mike

Aye yer full o the wind ?

Yesterday was a bit of a mixed bag weather wise.

Through the day was calm and myself and Ian took a stroll upto the long abandoned Wigtown airfield. We called at the Bladnoch Inn for some light refreshments before heading back to the site. All in 7.5miles and just beat the light drizzle which was forecast.

The wind is blowing a bit this morning and it's rattling the tent well. The site is quite full with several more joining us yesterday from around the country. A shame the skies were not kind last night we even had to resort to drinking the Macallan that Derek had brought to keep the 'spirits' up.

Onto today and I'm ready for some breakfast after a restful nights sleep.May look at getting the scope set up later for the forecasted clear skies as it's still nestling in the car.

Myself and uplooker will probably try the Harbour Inn at Garlieston later on as this will probably be the only chance of pie tasting this camp. I'll also weigh up how the pie master has trained over the winter months and try to suss out some tactics to wrestle the crown away from him. Don't think there's much chance though.  

Definitely need a cuppa this morning :help:

10 hours ago, wackyscot said:

where's all the pics, site pics, drunk guys n gals, oh scopes and stars too lol.

Davie, it's flaming  wild!!, been torrential through the night extremely wet and extremely blustery and windy. No chance of even setting up, let alone viewing. I'm glad I came in the van and not tenting it, that would be a nightmare in these conditions.  I'll review later this afternoon but I may well be heading back home for a warm fire, slippers and  a nice malt. The master weather forecaster Adrian  departed yesterday morning could have done with one more update. Nevermind. It doesn't look like the gamble to travel down has been worthwhile this year. Pity about Abernethy not hosting this year that was a fantastic venue and sky.  I'll be back down here later in year when hopefully we'll get some recompense for storm Doris stealing our skies. Cheers mate.

Finally arrived on site yesterday night at about 9.30pm. Howling gale, pouring rain, not a star in sight... Must be a Star Party! Here's the view from the van this morning - bit bleak.

IMG_3617sm.jpg

With any luck the forecast will be right, the wind will die down this afternoon and the stars will be out tonight. Though, realistically, Tuesday looks set to be the clearest.

Ye of little faith Gav - we managed to get (a bit of) solar going this afternoon before you came out of the van and caused it to cloud over ;)

I'm still hoping for some clear sky tonight (Sat) and more so tomorrow (Sun). Fingers crossed! First time at Galloway and I can imagine it is spectacular when the sky is clear!

Will

45 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Just had a look at BBC weather and xcweather. Neither agree. BBC shows some clear tonight but xc nothing at all until Thursday, and that's way off. We need a bit of luck !

Needing more than luck..... a good tow rope will come in handy. I look forward to all of tonight's piccys!  Home now warm slippers fire and and a malt in my hand ?  Hope you remainers get a break. Catch you all again in November... didn't get a chance to say cheerio to Mike but I did  see him reappear from the bushes from my rear view mirror as drove past the farmhouse... ??? class?

IMG_9076.JPG

Archived