SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Aurora 6th March 2016 from Kelso

Some panoramics of the aurora from Kelso racecourse on 6th March 2016.

Pentax K5
smc Pentax-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL [IF] lens
10 secs at f5.6-f6.7
ISO 3200

25494511102_d14e6009b1_b.jpgAuroral 1  from Kelso racecourse, Scottish Borders by Mike Dickson, on Flickr

24986410073_2142c051bc_b.jpgAurora 2 from Kelso racecourse, Scottish Borders by Mike Dickson, on Flickr

25494450832_199e23bfdf_b.jpgAurora 3 from Kelso racecourse, Scottish Borders by Mike Dickson, on Flickr

Simply stunning. Fabulous captures. The colours and rays are beautiful. You must be chuffed with those!

How similar are these pictures to what you actually saw yourself? I've never seen the lights myself, only lots of pictures and always wonder how much you actually see!

That's lovely.

I was out observing on the 6th for hours, and a friend said next day "oh did you see the aurora?" Sadly not as I live to the south of a town and spent most of the night looking south!

I have at least seen them once before, by accident while on holiday in Iceland. They weren't as good as that though and neither were my pics. I'm envious.:icon_biggrin:

6 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Simply stunning. Fabulous captures. The colours and rays are beautiful. You must be chuffed with those!

How similar are these pictures to what you actually saw yourself? I've never seen the lights myself, only lots of pictures and always wonder how much you actually see!

Thanks Gav

The arc was very noticeably green even before kicking off ...but especially strong in image 2 & 3, patches of red were quite obvious though duller to the naked eye, the bold rays were quite obvious to the eye dull greenish/white in colour ...but fine rays only showed up on the images.
What I found strange with this display was lack of purples/blues in images towards top of rays due to nitrogen ...to naked eye this wavelength would look white.

Mike

6 hours ago, Physopto said:

Spot on Mike. we saw them from Kielder as well. Rob got some shots as did Stewart.

You got the better view though, as you had the lower horizon.

Derek

Thanks Derek

Yes some great images from Kielder!

6 hours ago, ShrewView said:

That's lovely.

I was out observing on the 6th for hours, and a friend said next day "oh did you see the aurora?" Sadly not as I live to the south of a town and spent most of the night looking south!

I have at least seen them once before, by accident while on holiday in Iceland. They weren't as good as that though and neither were my pics. I'm envious.:icon_biggrin:

Thank you

Yes it does help to look in the correct direction ...at least you know now which way to look for next aurora ....don't you!? :blink::wink2:

Thanks again everyone for the positive feedback ...much appreciated ...never sure how images will display on others computers.

Just lucky with the weather this time, seems the cloud and any rain was just west of us here on the night.

Rob & John

Thank you, Rob yes the first image marks the moment the display really flared up, with at least 17 frames to help reduce lens distortion throughout the panorama I was half way through hence the left side of arc is quiet ...and the right more active, two stages of activity in one image.

Archived