Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

You can go back and make them smaller yourself. 

Edit the post (by clicking the three dots top right on the post) and then doing the same ctrl right click process as above on each of the images.

Edited by globular
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jetstream said:

@globular my avatar reminds me of my grand daughters observing the aurora and meteor showers from our dock. We sit on our bench and look just like Snoopy and Woodstock lol

You have a lovely spot and some lovely kit.  But sitting and sharing with your grand daughters must be the cherry on the cake.

I used to love snoopy as a kid.... not seen the peanuts gang in years.

• Like 1

For Aurora use f2.8 ISO 1600 and 5-10s exposure as starting point

Assuming full frame body and wide angle lens say 17mm to 24mm.

If you have one, lower f-stop the better. I have a Nikon 20mm f1.8 which is good in low light at f2.0. focus needs to be spot on at those focal ratio but you can use shorter exposure to reduce smearing in faster moving aurora.

Your phone pics look great anyway!.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 900SL said:

For Aurora use f2.8 ISO 1600 and 5-10s exposure as starting point

Assuming full frame body and wide angle lens say 17mm to 24mm.

If you have one, lower f-stop the better. I have a Nikon 20mm f1.8 which is good in low light at f2.0. focus needs to be spot on at those focal ratio but you can use shorter exposure to reduce smearing in faster moving aurora.

Your phone pics look great anyway!.

Thank you!

I just have an old Canon T3i/Sigma 3.5 wide zoom. Exactly what I want to do ie catch the fast moving or pulsing aurora its amazing how they can act as you know. I was looking to upgrade as I really want to capture the aurora in its full glory. We get them here frequently when active and I like to have a fast set up figured out to act quickly.

I am pleased wit the I Phone results I couldnt believe it actually at just 3 sec exposure. I presume you have a full frame Nikon? Which one and how is the high ISO noise? I'm looking to buy used ideally....

Thank you, Gerry

3 minutes ago, Captain Scarlet said:

I have a canon 6D. Superb camera, and full frame - if it’s in good condition I’d take your buddy’s one from him

Thanks Magnus, I might touch base with him soon, he mentioned "camera life" when we chatted. I dont know how to tell how much life is left in a used camera. He has a bunch of the "white" lenses he was going to lend me... yeah all I need to do is drop one of those suckers in the dark!

Do you have lenses suitable for the aurora?

• Like 1

There is a piece of free software you can easily get for your PC which will tell you the “shutter count” of any camera connected to it. Your friend should certainly be able to tell you that anyway. I have a bunch of white lenses, but the ones I tend to use for night time wide angle are all Samyang (aka Rokinon), including the 24/1.4 and 85/1.4 . At 1.4 they esp the 24mm tend to be a bit flarey on very bright point sources but at f/2 they are superb. Manual focus so I’ve taped the infinity position.

So yes I do have lenses suitable for the Aurora but sadly down in West Cork I don’t have Aurora suitable for the lenses!

9813751A-2DA4-4A7F-A605-A471C517FE8F.jpeg

3B7E5E9F-0291-4C3F-BB44-0993BB8A5D4B.jpeg

AA2F18A5-8ADC-4443-8DB7-04AAC37B4C50.jpeg

Edited by Captain Scarlet
  • Like 2

Nikon D610 FF and 20mm f1.8 G lens. Good in low light, although the more recent models are imrpoved.

You generally can't go wrong with most of the recent full frame cameras over the last few years. This was 3 hrs exposures and sadi desert so pretty warm. Got the framing wrong :)

StarStaX_DSC_4218-DSC_4578_gap_filling-2.thumb.jpg.d522605fad89eb23331ae152aa8fae76.jpg

Edited by 900SL
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, 900SL said:

This was 3 hrs exposures and sadi desert so pretty warm. Got the framing wrong :)

Excellent image and creativity! I love photography as well, espc Christmas "bokeh" shots and someday will up the level of equipment. Nikon is top notch, nice choice.

Sauna?  Yes!  Hot tub?  Oh hell no!  Roll in the snow or jump in the Baltic!

(😁 98% Finn with grandparents who had a woodfired sauna in their yard / garden.  My health club has a poor imitation.)

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Sauna?  Yes!  Hot tub?  Oh hell no!  Roll in the snow or jump in the Baltic!

(😁 98% Finn with grandparents who had a woodfired sauna in their yard / garden.  My health club has a poor imitation.)

Lol yes, Ive tried the "Finnish snow bath" after the sauna, quite refreshing isnt it? :grin:

1 hour ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Reminds you that you're alive.  😉

Yes it certainly does. I jump in the lake when the ice is gone and this also reminds us we are alive lol I built the sauna using the Finlanders from Thunder Bay -huge Finn population- reflective foil vapour barrier with the cedar properly furred out for the needed airgap. It heats in less than 30 min in sub -30c.

I also bought a nice Harvia glass doored stove- they bring in piles of them into T Bay on the ocean freighters. It is a fantastic stove.

• 3 weeks later...

Those images are off the hook for a phone shot, from in a hot tub you say? closest I’ll get to that is sitting in my bathtub looking at your shots on my phone, if that doesn’t sound awful weird.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Those images are off the hook for a phone shot, from in a hot tub you say?

Thanks, yes I went into the tub with the phone sitting on the ladder we use to get in. The advantage to this phone is that it seems to do a good job setting the ISO etc automatically and goes into night mode by itself. My old Canon needs manual setting for the ISO etc and I would have missed some of the bright bursts playing around with it.

I'm very happy with the iPhone 11.

• Like 2