NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pushing a Star Adventurer to the limit?

Stu

In the absence of any other EQ mounts currently, and with a desire to have a session on Jupiter without constant nudging of the scope, I thought I would give this a go.

I found a dovetail with 1/4" hole in the centre, and took the two additional weights off my Vixen to achieve balance, which I managed. Even with the Leica Zoom in a x2.5 PowerMate it still balanced. The scope is an FC-100D which is around 2.8kg for the OTA but probably around 5kg fully loaded, possibly a little more.

Now, I'm not claiming it is the steadiest when focusing or changing target, but it is tracking accurately enough for visual, and I'm enjoying the steady view. It takes a few seconds to settle down, and would be no good in a wind but it's fine for tonight's still conditions.

Im actually a little confused where the flex comes from. The mount itself is very solid, as is the EQ6 tripod and pillar so it can only be the Wedge. Perhaps with a stronger alternative it would be more stable?

Anyway, can't complain as it is pushing the weight and it is coping fine. Hoping for some fine views of GRS later.

image.jpeg

I'm actually quite impressed with it. I set it up earlier with a very brief and rough polar align and left it tracking Alnitak whilst I bathed and put the short person to bed. It was still in the field of view just now, well over an hour later, having just drifted up towards the top. That's at around x150 too with under 0.5 degree fov

I've been deliberating over the two variants of the FC-100D. One issue is whether the extra weight - about 700g I think - for the DS would make mounting it like this harder.

The question I can't answer is whether the upgraded focuser is worth the weight trade off for a dedicated visual observer? 

I'd love to think of it as a real grab and go, and can't see the point of a 3" when these scopes are so light. I've managed to use a 130P newtonian on my Giro-WR and photo tripod at moderate magnification, but this'd make a lovely replacement for my ST-80 ;-)

I've also wondered about a Star Adventurer with my C90... on a photo tripod. I like to be able to carry my grab and go kit a fair distance.

James

18 minutes ago, jkwhinfrey said:

I've been deliberating over the two variants of the FC-100D. One issue is whether the extra weight - about 700g I think - for the DS would make mounting it like this harder.

The question I can't answer is whether the upgraded focuser is worth the weight trade off for a dedicated visual observer? 

I'd love to think of it as a real grab and go, and can't see the point of a 3" when these scopes are so light. I've managed to use a 130P newtonian on my Giro-WR and photo tripod at moderate magnification, but this'd make a lovely replacement for my ST-80 ;-)

I've also wondered about a Star Adventurer with my C90... on a photo tripod. I like to be able to carry my grab and go kit a fair distance.

James

James, I've never really rated Tak focusers, so I took the one off my FC-100D without even using it and replaced it with a FeatherTouch FTF-2025BCR. This is a really lovely dual speed focuser with brake and 2.5" travel. I find it so much better, and ideal for visual observing (I'm visual only too). You need an adaptor which is the A20-302 if I remember correctly.

There is a lightweight version (FTF-2025BCR-LW) more expensive but saves a little weight. Getting some lightweight tube rings would also help as the ones I've got are quite solid CNC jobs.

I regularly use mine on my Giro-WR, either in the EQ6 tripod if at home, or a photo tripod when travelling. To be clear, if general observing a number of targets I would chose the Giro-WR as its so much easier to move around and find targets with. Last night the Star Adventurer was perfect because I only looked at Jupiter and the tracking really helped my pull out the fine detail and concentrate on the target.

Yep it's the wedge that causes the wobble alright I have the same issue with mine! Once the head it loaded with a scope n weights you can see the wedge flex when you touch it or the wind blows, how' ever I love my little  SA  it never complains and seems always to track very well , it makes a good little grab n go mount with  auto tracking !  I recon it tracks  well when on its limit cos it has robust metal gearing inside , and not nasty plastic gears found in so many cheaper alt az goto mounts.

I tend to use mine with a c90 for Jupiter and Saturn , so the c90 is so short it cuts down on the wobble, and is pretty steady I've also added a £3 astro boot sw slo mo control to replace the little aluminium knob on the Dec bracket this helps a lot when adjusting tne Dec movement. See pic...

image.thumb.jpeg.fe8198190a490315cb69751

On 24/02/2016 at 09:26, jkwhinfrey said:

James

I have the DC version and as a purely visual observer I've had no real issues with the focuser. That being said, it was a tad too firm for my liking when it arrived, so I made an adjustment to the tension by adjusting the factory set grub screws. It's focusing is buttery smooth now! The other thing to be aware of is that the draw tube is only short on the FC. I've had no issues with attaining focus but it might be an issue with some large bodied 2" diagonals, which may not allow a 1.25" eyepiece to have enough inward travel. A 2" low profile diagonal would resolve any issue here.

I doubt there would be a noticeable difference in the weight of the DC and the DF versions of the FC100. The DF may be the better option if you like to use 2" eyepieces, as with the DC you'll need to buy a 2" adaptor from Tak. I ordered the FC version because that was in stock at True Technology and I wanted one straight away. It's an illness I have! Anyway, Nick at True Tek included a 2" adaptor free with my FC100DC. :hello2:

Whichever version you choose, I doubt you'll be disappointed as their optics are tack sharp.

Mike :happy11:

Archived