Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

9mm interim option

Moonshane

I am hoping to buy a 9mm Delite when these are released later this year. In the meantime I am missing a 9mm eyepiece in my box and wondered if anyone can recommend a cheap alternative with, preferably, a 60 degree field and decent eye relief.

http://www.meade.com/meade-series-5000-9mm-hd-60-6-element-eyepiece-1-25.html looks like a decent option possibly or maybe the http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/visual-accessories/eyepieces/x-cel-lx-9-mm-eyepiece ?

I’d be looking to buy used so would probably buy the first that comes up for sale but would welcome views on either of the above or other options I had not considered. Maybe the best option would actually be the Pentax XF 8.5mm? This might even negate the need for a Delite? Although I have heard some comments about field curvature?

4 minutes ago, DRT said:

Yeah right! Who are you trying to convince with that one? :grin:

in Shane's defence it probably sounded a perfectly reasonable explanation in his own mind.. Heck I almost bought it for a second..  lol

I know it's only 50deg, but there's a 9mm SLV on ebay at the moment... can't see it going much above £60 - £65.. optically  better than the excel lx (ive had both and ran them at the same time to assess..) 

You'll sell it on for a similar figure (providing that FLO sales finished!) too...

Just a thought, it's got the optical quality that you need...

Ta

Fozzie

Hi Shane,

To be honest, I'd steer clear of the Series 5000s..they are nicely built, look great, but forget the "sharp right to the edge" blurb. I think they are effectively a plossl-on-steroids, and no plossl I know of will be sharp right to the edge of an artificially widened field of view.. 50 or so degrees is about it.

Same as for the Baader Classic Orthos, which claim 50 degree field of which probably 40-42 is truly sharp - it's a limitation of the design.  I remember I had a 32mm version which wasn't bad at all (2").. I then got a 34mm ES 68 and it was chalk and cheese, no contest, with the ES winning hands down.

I used several 5000s in my long fracs and they were great on axis, but even at F10 or more got very soft well away from the edge. In a shorter FL reflector I'd think they could get pretty ugly off axis?

I think you nailed it with the Pentax XF option. The 8.5mm does not suffer that I know of from field curvature, it's the 12mm one that does, and even then some say it's not unbearable. I owned two 8.5mm XFs a while back and thought they were excellent (they would make a great binoviewing pair too). At c £85 from FLO they are a steal and if you sold on you should get at least £65 back for it. A nice 60 deg FOV which is probably almost as sharp as and XW, just not quite as wide a field.

HTH :-)

Dave

I tend to agree with Dave, I was far from impressed with the Series 5000 range from Meade of so called Super Plossl's, I owned all but one once. I last tested the 40mm against my Panoptic, I don't think 50% of the field was sharp and that was only at F5.26, not in the Sumerian at F4.3 where had I have bought it, it would have been going straight back.

I didn't write a review because I couldn't think of enough words to help get across how bad it was.

Alan.

2 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

GET A X-CEL 9mm, 60 deg fov and perfectly fine eyepiece for the cost.

Same eyepiece as the Meade HD60 though, I believe ?

I've recently bought a 12mm Pentax XF to use during outreach sessions and it's a pretty good eyepiece. There is some FC but it does not seem not a major issue to me.

I seem to recall that Michael Wilkinson thought the 8.5mm XF a tad better than an 8mm Radian when he compated them. Now that might just negate the need for a Delite !

5 hours ago, Moonshane said:

I am hoping to buy a 9mm Delite when these are released later this year. In the meantime I am missing a 9mm eyepiece in my box and wondered if anyone can recommend a cheap alternative with, preferably, a 60 degree field and decent eye relief.

http://www.meade.com/meade-series-5000-9mm-hd-60-6-element-eyepiece-1-25.html looks like a decent option possibly or maybe the http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/visual-accessories/eyepieces/x-cel-lx-9-mm-eyepiece ?

I’d be looking to buy used so would probably buy the first that comes up for sale but would welcome views on either of the above or other options I had not considered. Maybe the best option would actually be the Pentax XF 8.5mm? This might even negate the need for a Delite? Although I have heard some comments about field curvature?

i had a few of those HD60'S when they first came out when i had my meade LB. I found the views to be excellent with lots of contrast. if you can get one 2nd hand id say go for it. the build quality is very good and they are quite weighty as well.

2 hours ago, John said:

Same eyepiece as the Meade HD60 though, I believe ?

I've recently bought a 12mm Pentax XF to use during outreach sessions and it's a pretty good eyepiece. There is some FC but it does not seem not a major issue to me.

I seem to recall that Michael Wilkinson thought the 8.5mm XF a tad better than an 8mm Radian when he compated them. Now that might just negate the need for a Delite !

As maybe John although the meades are circa £90 and the celestron £59 from FLO, I know where my money would go

22 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

As maybe John although the meades are circa £90 and the celestron £59 from FLO, I know where my money would go

Makes sense Steve :icon_biggrin:

I'd not pay £31 more for the same optics either !

2 hours ago, Moonshane said:

once I pay Derek for the Baader Clicklock diagonal that is! - you must always pay your drug dealer!

Just one more time, Shane? Just a little one to tide you over? :evil:

I feel the Delos 8 does have a (very) slight edge over the XF8.5mm in terms of contrast, but the XF wins in terms of comfort (not by much). I sometimes feel I should get one again to use for travel or outreach. The Delite 9mm is also interesting. It would fill the gap between the XW10mm and Delos 8mm. As these EPs are clearly in the planetary range, I do like close spacing. I always liked the LV 9mm I had (except its rubber eye cup), and when I switched from Vixen LV7 and LV9 to Radian 8mm and 10mm I did miss those magnifications (225x and 290x, vs 203x and 254x for the Radians).

46 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Funnily enough, I'll be buying my Pentax 8.5mm after recently selling my 8mm Delos! Albeit I may eventually replace the Pentax with a Delite.

Is it worth it now shane

2 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Incidentally, the Delite 9mm is supposed to arrive in Germany on February 29:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p8568_Tele-Vue-1-25--Okular-DeLite-9-0-mm--62--Gesichtsfeld.html

Not a long wait, I would say. (Darn, now I am tempted!)

Surely you can wait another 6 days fella :laugh2:

Archived