Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M 65 Leo Triplet with DSLR

StargeezerTim

My last image from last night. Just managed 13 X 5 min, iso 1600, DSS, Photoshop etc.

It is a lovely looking group and my first attempt at imaging it.

Cheers... Tim.

edit... restacked with kappa sigma rather than average (still only 13 lights) but now its minus hot pixels and with a smoother finish.

56c354cbc54c2_M65sigma.thumb.jpg.c6e4da3

Really nice! Looks much like my DSLR effort on the triplets the other night, but I did not get as much of that red details in the galaxies as you, so I am a bit envious. Maybe I should try to reprocess mine. Mine was with a 127 mm ES ED refractor, so same aperture as yours but less FL, and a Canon 60Da (15 x 250", ISO 1600).

IMG1165-1179PS2crop2NoGradients.jpg

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Really nice! Looks much like my DSLR effort on the triplets the other night, but I did not get as much of that red details in the galaxies as you, so I am a bit envious. Maybe I should try to reprocess mine. Mine was with a 127 mm ES ED refractor, so same aperture as yours but less FL, and a Canon 60Da (15 x 250", ISO 1600).

IMG1165-1179PS2crop2NoGradients.jpg

Gorann, I have discovered that I get better results without using Darks, though I do use dithering. So I just stack the lights, a master flat and a master bias into DSS. It might be worth trying that. I also find that using a soft light blending mode routing helps to push the colour up without adding too much noise. Cheers, Tim.

11 hours ago, StargeezerTim said:

Gorann, I have discovered that I get better results without using Darks, though I do use dithering. So I just stack the lights, a master flat and a master bias into DSS. It might be worth trying that. I also find that using a soft light blending mode routing helps to push the colour up without adding too much noise. Cheers, Tim.

I don't use darks either as I heard that they can do more harm than good for DSLR since you have no control of sensor temperature. I see in some of my images that I should probably start using flats. I do not have much noise problem with the sub-zero temperatures I have here right now so I no not think I need bias. I use Adobe Raw in Photoshop for making tifs out of CR2 raw and initial noise reduction (which works great with Adobe Raw), and Nebulosity 4 for stacking the tifs. Then I do the rest in Photoshop CS5. I am not sure what you mean by "a soft light blending mode".

35 minutes ago, gorann said:

I don't use darks either as I heard that they can do more harm than good for DSLR since you have no control of sensor temperature. I see in some of my images that I should probably start using flats. I do not have much noise problem with the sub-zero temperatures I have here right now so I no not think I need bias. I use Adobe Raw in Photoshop for making tifs out of CR2 raw and initial noise reduction (which works great with Adobe Raw), and Nebulosity 4 for stacking the tifs. Then I do the rest in Photoshop CS5. I am not sure what you mean by "a soft light blending mode".

I think I learnt this from a post from Ollie. Duplicate the layer twice. Select the top layer and change blending mode to soft light, merge with layer underneath. Change blending mode of that one to colour, merge. Repeat as necessary. 

Archived