Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rosette with an Achromat

astro mick

Hi Guys.

While,st waiting for my new Triplet scope to arrive I tried my old 120mm Skywatcher Achromat scope and reducer to image the Rosette.

This is just 6x600 secs on the target using H-Alpha and O111 Filters.

I was quite surprised by the result.

Mick.

Part of rosette.png

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crikey Mick, if you were only to do narrow band I don't think you would need the triplet! What a great result :)

I think Gina had similar results with her ST80 for narrow band. It's food for thought isn't it!

Sooo, which triplet you getting then Mick?? :)

This is just such a stunning image!

I wondered why achromats would not make excellent narrowband instruments, and maybe the success with this image is a bit frustrating since the only thing you would achieve with your new triplet in narrowband imaging is to avoid having to refocus between changing filters. I do not know what triplet you have ordered but maybe you could have got a 7" or 8" achromat for the same price?

Thanks everyone,really appreciate the comments.Yes I was well surprised by the performance of this scope,it has certainly thrown an apple in the cart.

Chris,i have plumbed for the TS 80mm F6 Triplet,only got it yesterday,so typically its now cloudy.But will report on how it performs.

Goran,yes your correct,i used an Atik 414ex camera,which does have a small chip size.

Also interesting enough,i did,nt have to refocus between the Narrowband Filters.

This was so simple,put in the reducer,no spacing requirements,focussed and bingo.

I expect a lot of frustration in setting the flattener distance on the Triplet.

Mick.

Yes, flattener distances can be a pain. I have two ES apos, an ED80 and an ED127 with 480 and 950 mm FL, so with the TS 0.79x flattener/reducer I need different spacing (16 and 10 mm). The other night I forgot to change the spacing and spent 3 hours collecting eggy stars.

9 hours ago, astro mick said:

Thanks everyone,really appreciate the comments.Yes I was well surprised by the performance of this scope,it has certainly thrown an apple in the cart.

Chris,i have plumbed for the TS 80mm F6 Triplet,only got it yesterday,so typically its now cloudy.But will report on how it performs.

Goran,yes your correct,i used an Atik 414ex camera,which does have a small chip size.

Also interesting enough,i did,nt have to refocus between the Narrowband Filters.

This was so simple,put in the reducer,no spacing requirements,focussed and bingo.

I expect a lot of frustration in setting the flattener distance on the Triplet.

Mick.

Hi

I bought the same scope in December along with TS 2" flattener and the dslr spacing kit. All fitted together nicely with no fiddling required  :)

Louise

An eye-opener and food for thought. Anyone wanting to set up a dual rig, for instance, might consider a good apo for the LRGB side but a much cheaper achromat for the Ha and OIII. I started imaging with a Mk1 TeleVue Genesis which was well corrected for visual but not sufficiently corrected to control blue stars in broadband. When I switched to a Tak FSQ I could see no difference whatever in Ha.

This is a super image.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

Archived