SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newbie Hello!

Raymie440

Welcome to SGL. You're in the best place here for advice on your choice of scope. Of course you'll have to have a budget in mind then various other factors such as anything you're particularly interested in (planets, DSOs, imaging etc.) and whether it needs to be portable etc.etc.

Get as much advice as you can before you take the plunge. In the mean time take every opportunity to learn the night sky, constellations and other star patterns etc. It will save you time when you get going. 

Most people here would recommend "Stellarium ", a free download and brilliant resource.

Good luck and keep in touch:happy11:

Jason

Hi and welcome to the forum. Yes it can be very exciting making your first purchase which is why it is important for you to take your time and to do the research by asking questions on this forum. Astronomy is a big subject but nothing is that complicated, it's all about taking it steady and focusing on one or two areas at a time. 

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your time here.

Thanks for the welcome! I think I have settled on the Skymax 127 Mak Goto. My reasons for this are, the mantra that I kept hearing of the best telescope is the one that gets used the most and I feel the relative simplicity of this telescope will mean it gets used alot and can be taken into the wilds of Scotland with me. I am probably mainly going to look at the planets and moon, with the odd DSO. I feel if I really get into it I can then add a larger newtonian reflector at a later date.

Greetings and welcome to SGL, Raymie! Nice to have you aboard. If planets and the Moon are your likely loves up in the sky, a Mak is a good choice. If you decide to go after nebulae and galaxies - a large aperture reflector may be on the horizon.

Clear & dark skies -

Dave

Archived