Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Dob Steps

DRT

I have been using a two-step fold-up ladder for my Dob for a few weeks and found that it had two problems:

1. A bit light and wobbly for someone of my svelte-like stature (:rolleyes2:), and;

2. The legs sink into soft ground causing it to be an unstable and somewhat dangerous platform.

Last week I bought a set of these "Hot Tub Steps" and I must say they are a fantastic improvement! At almost three foot wide with a large, solid footprint and with non-slip steps they make for a much more secure viewing experience.

post-33858-0-43843500-1453069539.png

Worth considering, even though they are not particularly cheap.

I use a plastic caravan step £6 from a nearby caravan seller.

You can see it here behind my Dob.

Calvin's 18" f/3.9  is behind (no step required) and thats him and DanK chilling out at Dobfest II

attachicon.gifDSC_3636.JPG

These are my steps too, I only use scopes large enough for steps when I'm with the dob mobbers

I use these for observing in Dobson's Hole...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Curver-Two-Step-Stool/dp/B003N9CMPQ

...quite wide feet to stop sinking into the ground.

Can just about sit down on them.

Main issue is stability of the observer.  Much better to have tall steps with lots of redundant height but lots to grab on to to steady yourself.  Also better with people that are not used to looking through eyepieces.

Paul

I use a plastic caravan step £6 from a nearby caravan seller.

You can see it here behind my Dob.

Calvin's 18" f/3.9  is behind (no step required) and thats him and DanK chilling out at Dobfest II

attachicon.gifDSC_3636.JPG

did you purposely tilt the camera to negate the effect of the hill?

Archived