Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Party 2016

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, popeye85 said:

Are there still spaces available?

Im sure we will be able to fit you in Popeye85.

1 hour ago, Uplooker said:

Better bloody had!!!!!! 

Well Im bringing some spaklers 'Just ' in case its cloudy?

Kenny

Hi Popeye,i will say yes but will check with Lesley in the morning and let you know ,there are definitely non-leccy pitches,but at this time of year you will benefit from leccy,

be nice if you let me have your name,and i will email you tomorrow.

Look forward to meeting you,

Regards

Mike

Hello Guys

Just started to get some gear together today and I must say that I am very much looking forward to the event and meeting you all.  I maybe shy at first, so be warned!

Mike:  Do I need to put my name down on a list for the "Pie Night"  please?

I could see the Mull of Galloway and along to the coast to the Isle of Whithorn yesterday  afternoon it was clear as a bell, it funny to think that I have to drive for about 166 miles and the actual distance between the Point of Ayre Lighthouse to the town of Whithorn is only 22 miles as the crow flys....

Best regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

Hello folks,

I havent been to a star camp for about 2 years but im pleased to say that I booked my pitch with electricity yesterday.

Im really looking forward to it as my local sky is rather light polluted so getting out underunder proper dark skys is always a treat.

Ill have the creature comforts of my caravan with me with plenty of astro gear in my boot.

So, hello to everyone anď it will be great to meet up with you all.

Cheers

Hi Haydn ,no need to register for pie n peas,there will be plenty to go round, we even had spare pies which folk bought to take home,there really good quality from a Cumbrian butchers.

No need to be shy,we are gregarious bunch,and usually call a spade a spade, looking forward to the event,

See you there,

Mike

10 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Kenny, i thought you had left the country,everyone okay?

I thought a 50 pack of repeater bombs is very reasonable,i`m sure we can bribe Ian with an extra pie,

See you soon

Mike

Everyone fine Mike,i will bell you tonight.

Kenny

Hi All,just a heads up on pitch availability,as of now there are only 6 electric hook ups for the Friday and Saturday nights ,there are plenty of non-electric,and for anyone wanting longer it should not be a problem.

Quite a few are making a week of it so lets hope the delivery of good weather turns up on time,Lesley has just been telling me how good the weather has been this past week.

Looking forward to a great week

Regards

Mike

23 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi AstroM,would  be nice if you can tell us your name,it just makes for a more  inclusive atmosphere,

Looking forward to catching  up with you, a caravan makes for a really good base,have a safe journey over,

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

I always tend to miss things off my posts! I'll be there from Thursday to Sunday so hopefully ill manage to get at least one clear night.

Cheers

Ian

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:38, hadyn42 said:

Hello Andy

Thank you very much indeed for your message.

I should be arriving on site at about 3 pm on Monday 31st October and staying there until the morning of Monday 7th November....

The answer to your questions:

1) I am hoping to be using my laptop running windows 7. I have downloaded EOS Backyard software and have tried it on my 700D just in my living room so far and it works okay.

2) I do have a guide camera, which I haven't used as yet as a guide camera, its a Lodestar x2 mono. I have tested it out about 3 weeks ago by just connecting it to my telescope and it seems to be working okay by viewing a sort of "live sky view".

3) I plan to use the camera just on top of my telescope (SW ED80) at first. But I do plan to use it for guiding in the near future and I have the right connectors etc to connect my 700D straight to the telescope though and it seems to work okay Andy.

I have a HEQ5 Pro mount. I don't have a guide scope as yet, but as mentioned above I could possibly use the ed80 and just have the 700d mounted on top of the telescope and possibly have the X2 connected to my telescope as a guide camera, if that sounds okay?

Looks like you have a number of options already planned. Dew can be a problem so dew bands for your camera lens and the scope would be useful...... or a hair drier.

I have not used Backyardeos but it looks very rich in features so I might learn from you. You would also benefit if you have Canon's eos utility as it has a better zoom facility than Backyard.
If you can attach your camera to the ED80 with a T-ring then you could also try polar alignment using Themos's neat utility.

Looking forward to meeting you on the 31st.

Andy

Archived