Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Party 2016

Derek i`ll fuse yer fairy lights.  Hayden, Ian is right in his list of things to do!

Oh and did we mention time out for tasting the water of life in it`s many guises.

There will be plenty of people to help with advice on your astrophotograpy  quest.

I do not know where the shields gazettte gets it`s insider knowledge from,but i can confirm i will not be bringing the kitchen sink----( i left it last year ).

Regards

Mike

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, astronymonkey said:

Am I tempting fate by bringing my solar filter ??????

Cheers

Hello Astromonkey

If you bring your solar filter, I will chance bringing some  sun tan lotion!

Regards,

Hadyn - IOM

On 25/10/2016 at 16:50, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Hadyn,

To be acceptable, you need to fetch whiskey....Jaffa Cakes as Lucksall.... and your dry sense of humour!   :hello2:

Hope the ferry is fixed or another one provided....

Looking forward in meeting up.

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Hello Adrian

The ferry seems to have been running okay today. I have just finished filling up our living room up with astronomy gear, Christina is looking forward to me going now, I am afraid she cannot make it until next October when she retires!  I think she is going to makes us some cakes for the event too.....

Looking forward to meeting you again too. When do you get there?,  I won't be there until about mid afternoon on the Monday.

You have a safe trip too, I know its a fair drive for you too.

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

1 hour ago, Demon Barber said:

I think you should all bring some midge lotion,there getting eaten alive at Kielder , well Derek is,not convinced sun tan lotion will be needed!

Mike

Didn't think they'd go anywhere near a guy as tender as Derek :evil62:

I don't believe i have to say this AGAIN But the dog has taken a turn for the worst and needs an operation next week.......... Im not going to be able to make it

Is there a higher power conspiring against me? Last year i couldn't get the van fixed in time, this year its perfect and now the dogs broken down :hmh:

Mike what are the dates for the spring? I'm getting back up there one way or another

Cheers

Hi Mav,

Nightmare, hope the dog is alright.

If you continue like this this you will end up taking Derek's mantle for not attending Galloway star parties.

He was due to attend this one but after what Mike told us about Derek losing the fight with a guy rope, who knows ?

Dates for Spring 2017 are Wed 22nd - Mon 27th Feb.

Hi Folks,

I have arrived safely from down South....

Tent up unassisted in a useful wind. Currently light rain is coming down. Cannot see the hills across Wigton Bay.

As I left home at 04:45 am, I drove up the M1 and then the A1(M) to Scottish Corner, A66 to Penrith and M6 to the Border. Listening to the radio the M6 north of Stoke-on-Trent is  a joke with the miles and miles of road works, a car even had the nerve to breakdown in the roadworks and cause havoc have around junction 17, whilst another lorry and car crashed up at Junction 19. I went up to Bolton on 16 September and it took me 5 hours from Watford. I spent nearly 2.5 hours on the M6 from Stoke on Trent Junction 15 to the Viaduct. 

The little petrol station at Gretna Village which I recommend, is not on my updated list because diesel there is 119.9p per litre. Tesco at Junction 43 M6 (about 1/2 mile) towards Carlisle was only 113.9p per litre. The price at Tesco Dumfries would be the same.

Counted two police speed detection vehicles on the A75 to the West of Castle Douglas.

I have decided not to put my scope up in the rain. 

There was a beautiful Sunrise just to the north east of Leeds at 07:55am this morning.

Hope to see some of you tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers

Adrian

Hello Adrian

Well you got there safe and sound , so that's good.

I must say that was some drive from your home, I would have to have lots of rests if I did that journey, only used to drive about ten miles a day over here!

As mentioned before I should be on site all being well on Monday at around 3pm....

Thanks for the tips on fuel prices too.

Best ,

regards

Hadyn

Hi Ian,

Silence is Golden.......

I can hear myself think..... Will I go to the Harbour Pub in Garlieston or try cooking tea in the damp wind..... The harbour seems to be winning.

The only problem in Scotland is the drink/drive laws are stricter than the rest of the UK. So it will be Steak and Soda water...

I plan to set my astro gear up tomorrow am. It is completely clouded over at the moment. Ideal Whiskey Tasting climate.

If the weather improves later, I can get my Swavroski birding scope out for an hour or two.

With the fan heater on, it is cosy in the tent.

There are some other campers here, they do not appear to be astronomers as no scopes on show.

The campsite has wifi now, must get the password from Lesley.... currently using my own Vodafone.... reception ok.

Since I was up at 04:00am this morning I will have an early night.

The wind has blown all the midges away.

Hadyn,

I hope to be around Monday afternoon, remember the clocks go back this weekend, so it will be getting dark around 16:30 -17:00 next week.

I can drive fairly long distances because I have an over 70s licence!!!!

A local farmer is getting a new tractor tomorrow and I have just been invited to go an view it at his yard.

Great these locals...

Both of you have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi folks,gutted cos i wont be up in Galloway till Friday afternoon.I was hoping to get up earlier but works stressing me over time off.

I have Monday booked off so might stay Sunday night if forcast look good.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone again and meeting some new faces.

Kenny

1 hour ago, kenny k said:

Hi folks,gutted cos i wont be up in Galloway till Friday afternoon.I was hoping to get up earlier but works stressing me over time off.

I have Monday booked off so might stay Sunday night if forcast look good.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone again and meeting some new faces.

Kenny

Thought for a second another event was going to get in the way :evil62:

Hi Folks,

Rain has stopped, it was only light showers, windy though...

I have had Steak Pie, peas and chips at the Harbour Inn. Friendly lot, good food. I have been advised a pint of Guinness and you could be over the limit.... so had an Orange and tonic water.

Back in the tent, fuelling up on whiskey. I think there are small patches of clear sky starting to appear, the BBC Weather are showing clear sky at 02:00am Friday morning.

It is really dark outside....

I will continue to read Private Eye....

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

good to here the journey was uneventful, despite being a long trek for you.

How are conditions under fòot, it it dry or is there a bit of mud. With this warm weather im hoping the ground conditions stay fair although a cold blast would deal with the midges and maybe give some clear skys.

Ill be arriving a week today so tis weekend will be a full set up and pack away so I dont forget ànything.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, astronymonkey said:

Hi Adrian,

good to here the journey was uneventful, despite being a long trek for you.

How are conditions under fòot, it it dry or is there a bit of mud. With this warm weather im hoping the ground conditions stay fair although a cold blast would deal with the midges and maybe give some clear skys.

Ill be arriving a week today so tis weekend will be a full set up and pack away so I dont forget ànything.

Cheers

Ian,

the site is very well drained, never encountered midges at Galloway.

Archived