Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Party 2016

Hello All,well it`s that time of year again and i`m` pleased to announce the 2016 Galloway Autumn Star Party  :hello2:   Scotland`s Premier Star Part,y To be held at our usual  venue  http://www.drumroamin.co.uk/      Run by Lesley and Ralph Shell.   The prices are to be held at last years,check with Lesley when you book and she will confirm the tariff.

As for those of you who have not been before, the campsite is immaculate and has lots of star gazing 

The dates this year are to coincide with the Kielder Star Camp,running back to back ,Galloway dates are Monday 31st October until  Monday 7th November.

Bookings are to once again made direct with the campsite.

The format is largely unchanged but we hope to have some quizzes and a film/video event. More on that later!

I will post more details as they are finalized.

Please book early to avoid disappointment ,the electric hook-ups are understandably popular.

I have just been speaking to Lesley and she informs me that despite everything the weather has thrown her way the campsite is coping admirably,good news for the spring gathering in just a months time.Newton Stewart is still clearing up  a lot of damage was done,but things are slowly improving,hopefully the rain will not add anymore misery to some folks that had been flooded out previously.Only time will tell !

If you have any questions please ask away  and i will try to get you the correct answer.

Regards and clear skies

Mike

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi.

I am new to the GSP but I'm a regular at KSSP and KASP.

I was wondering if anyone would be at the GSP from Sunday 30th October?.

I have commitments before the 30th October and after the 3rd November but I'd be up for the dates in between to get to the GSP.

regards

Robert

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim,nice one,yes i`m doing okay,a couple of falls,not broken anything,so i see that as a bonus.

It`s taken me a lot longer to recover from the last starcamp/drive.

Is Dawn keeping well? 

Have the pair of you got any viewing in or has the rain affected it?

Talk soon

Mike

On 07/02/2016 at 19:52, Demon Barber said:

Hi Robert,all being well there should be a few folk around from the Sunday and even maybe the Saturday,so get youself booked in and we`ll see you there,electric pitches are are already well booked so get your booking in asap.

Regards

Mike

Yeah Mike,

You told me about the lack of EHUs for November, while I was standing outside the campsite reception at the Feb SP. I rushed inside to book and Leslie told me there were plenty of EHU pitches. That said, everyone else better hurry up and book before they all go:headbang:

Hi all,

I've just booked for the first time. It'll be a long drive so I've booked sunday to sunday to make the most of it.

Already looking forward to meeting everyone and hopefully checking out those dark skies :-)

10 hours ago, Mr Flibble said:

Hi all,

I've just booked for the first time. It'll be a long drive so I've booked sunday to sunday to make the most of it.

Already looking forward to meeting everyone and hopefully checking out those dark skies :-)

Excellent, look forward to meeting you. If the skies play ball you will have a great time, if they don't, you will still have great time, very friendly bunch?

14 hours ago, Mr Flibble said:

Hi all,

Good to have you along and I'll guarantee you'll not regret it, especially the pie eating competition at the end of the week which Ian (Uplooker) always seems to win.

Nice one Dai,be nice to have a new face,the journey is well worth the effort,if you look back through the various  Galloway threads you will get a feel for the atmosphere.

For your info,there are a travelling butchers and fishmongers van on Tuesday morning,and plenty of shops in both Wigtown and further afield  in Newton Stewart.

Lesley and Ralph keep a spotless campsite,fully light darkened for us with custom blinds,a new cooking /outdoor barbecue area has just been finished,there are full shower facilities ,a warm room,freezer and kettle available if needed.

Any questions please ask away,

Looking forward to seeing you at Scotland`s premier Starcamp.

Regards

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dai,

I hope your trust in me is realised at Galloway...... The skies at Galloway are a lot darker than at pitch 115 The Oaks at Lucksall :icon_biggrin:

As we discussed at SGL this year and (previous years) Galloway is a real dark sky site and very friendly. There is no time for drinking on clear nights, but on the cloudy nights the malt whiskey tasting classes are brilliant and go on for hours.

As Mike mentioned the site is excellent and scores the same points as Lucksall for cleanliness and friendly staff, the games room has a pool table and TV, plus sofas. 

There is no shop on site but the fish lady does good quality cod fillets (which I love), fresh local eggs and some veg, while the butcher does big beef steaks cut to size at the van, plus a wide variety of meats, they both arrive on Tuesday mornings.

Looking forward to meeting up again.

Cheers

Adrian

Thanks Mike and everyone for the welcoming comments and advice.

Sounds like there's plenty to keep us occupied if the weather isn't good. I like a game of pool and the pie eating contest sounds like a good laugh. As for the whiskey, I shall bring along a small bottle of Glengoyne that I picked up whilst walking the west highland way a few years ago :-)

Yep thanks Adrian, I've been toying with the idea for a little while of Galloway and the dark skies but your info at lucksall persuaded me. It sounds like the setup is very welcoming and friendly which should make the journey worthwhile :-)

Archived