Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Party 2016

I see the wifi seems to be working o.k. Adrian.

I have a lot to do tomorrow prepping the scope due to finishing a favour for someone so it may be Tuesday before I finally arrive. 

Hopefully some clear skies will materialise and give you some splendid viewing.

Cloudy here hope its better at the camp

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Damian,

The weather here has in two words been miserably drek today. None of the scopes are in action.

We got some very small gaps in the cloud about 16:00, but they quickly disappeared.

The Wifi I am using is my Vodafone Dongle, it is a lot better than the previous one.

The site wifi will of course be worse if a lot of people decide to use it at the same time.  A small donation to Lesley's sponsored charity for a lifeboat at Portpatrick would be appreciated by her.

I trust you can get a lorry big enough to bring your big scope?

Speaking to a friend who lives locally the weather has been very good recently around here, a week ago she says that the night skies were brilliant on their farm.

Apparently, they have had the driest October on record (.... today may seriously effect the figures though! ) up to Wednesday I believe they had just over 1/2" of rain.

The coming week will be drier and colder and so a change for some clear nights.

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi All,well it`s still cloudy and oddly warm,just finished installing new astro programs on Jim`s win 10 comp,all done successfully,determined to get him up and running eqmod,and wifi et al.

Just had a lookout but no joy,not even any breeze,hopefully things will improve ,it`s looking good for Tuesday,Friday and Sat and Sun evenings,will keep fingers crossed,safe journey to anyone coming over today. Wifi great improvement,am currently watching tv,no problem.

Regards

Mike

Just watched the Countryfile long-term weather forecast (what do forecasters know ?) and it seems to show the best conditions will be mid week with below zero temperatures.

Skies are relatively clear here in the north coast of Norn Iron, hope conditions are good for you guys already at Drumroamin

Nice to know Ian but as you say what do they know

I'm now looking at setting off Tuesday morning as the scope mods I'm  on with aren't complete. More work tomorrow.

Looking forward to getting up there and I hope the clouds are all down this side of the country as it certainly looks that way.

Update tomorrow 

Hi Folks,

Like to correct Mike on the important astronomical issue of whiskey, I opened a bottle of Aberlour Whiskey in Mike's static van tonight.

Dai arrived safely from South Wales at lunchtime, so Dai, Julian from Surrey and myself went down to the Harbour Inn  for a  meal.

It is very pleasant, friendly staff and good food.

If this cloudy weather keeps up, I should be able to finish War and Peace and of course that Irish masterpiece Ulysess by James Joyce.

The weather this afternoon at least looked promising.

Cheers

Adrian

Well folks  Jim Dawn and myself have just spent a frustrating hour playing  with the skies,which as usual have not let us down,we saw M45 M42, but we have seen the Milky way in all it` glory,albeit only fleetingly,still i`m off to bed a happy chappy,the temperature continues to fall,

Regards

Mike

Packing today. Hoping to get there about 3ish tomorrow. Really excited, can't wait. I will try to bring some good weather with me as on the last 2 star camps at Kielder I seem to have managed it. See you all tomorrow.

Right, cud nae get boxes of Tayto so got 2 bags of 20. One for Kenny and one for Aidrian.

Just off out now to get black puddin and stock up on whiskey ?

Then start to pack the car, which includes fitting in a lawn mower ?

Will look to stop at Drumroamin Tue afternoon on our way to Dumfries town as we are stayin the night there

Just in middle of removing scope from obs and making it all portable again. New portable power supply made and tested. Coming up on Wednesday really looking forward to seeing everyone and looking at loads of astro kit! Will anyone be available to help pitching my tent as dave who's sharing it can't come up until Thursday my only other option is to bring a small tent for the first night and put the big one up the next day. Mind you it will take ages to sort all the kit out so I will be really busy.

Mike

Hi All,

Ive been spending a few days getting things together and have so far put together my new 12v power pack using a 22ah battery and a car multi adapter which makes a compact little unit , ths is all held in an insulated bag to keep things warm. Im only powering dew control kit with this so it should be great.

Ive also managed to fit my low cost push to system with a remote readout on the base so its easy to read. The main challenge was how to fit the tilt sensor but I got sold of some 25mm pipe clips today meaning it simply clips t the truss tube when in use and can be disconnected if not needed.

My final mod had been to upgrade my light shroud to a more ridgid affair. I normally use a fabric one but having seen some plastic sheeting call Antinox from B&Q for a couple of quid Ive used it to make a well fitting shroud for the truss tube.

All slowly coming together ready for the Grand Depart on Thursday so should be there mid afternoon.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Folks,

Latest from the wilds of Galloway. I got up at 04:05 am this morning.

The skies are clearing with Orion and Sirius to the south west, Procyon nearby. Perseus to the west, Cassiopeia to the north west, Vega just above the tree tops to the north, Deneb was there but Albireo was below the horizon and the Plough was pointing down in the north east.

The seeing was not brilliant, it was very hazy, I was using my Leica bins.... heavy dew on the tent, I decided it was not worth waking the sleeping beauties up to see a very wet and washed out sky.

The BBC Weather app is showing clear skies from 06:00am today, brilliant sunshine all day today, then clear skies for two to three hours and the good news if accurate clear skies from 02:00am on Wednesday morning.

I am thinking of getting back into my sleeping for a few hours..... to those on site.... remember the fish lady comes between 11:00 and 12:00am, while the butcher comes around noon. ( Julian that last bit is useless info for you!)

Let's hope that the skies become crystal clear by tonight.

Cheers

Adrian

Morning Adrian. Up the same time I can't sleep due to my shoulder giving me pain. Just sat with a cuppa before trying to get the head down again.

Good to read the Skies are clearing.

Will be having some of those views tonight and may even be there for midday at this rate!!! 

All my gear is ready so just needs loading into the car which will take half an hour just need to remember how I packed it last time :confused2:

See you all soon 

Hi Damian,

I have just come into the tent from the damp cold Galloway air.

Stargazing in shorts is not be recommended in these northern areas, as my nether region is freezing!

Dai, Robert, Julian and Hadyn have witnessed the event.

The sky is clearer now 06:18am than what it was at 04:05am. A lot of the haze has disappeared. Stars to the north appear to be clearer.

There is low level cloud moving in from the Lake District.

Dai managed to get the Orion Nebula, M35, and some cluster on his 12" dob.

I am going back to bed for 2 hours, then its breakfast and a walk around 09:00 with Bud the dog.

The sky is getting brighter at the moment.

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Folks,

We have a strange thing here, Blue Skies, the LBJs (little brown jobs) are twittering about, most campers have not risen like the Sun yet.

I have nearly defrosted from this morning's outing.

Having muesli for breakfast....

It is going to be a beautiful day with loads of glorious sunshine..... I feel happy........

Forecast for this evening looks promising.

Cheers

Adrian

Thoroughly enjoying my first trip to Galloway. Lesley and Mike are great for a warm welcome and the site is superb with low horizons all around, excellent facilities and no light pollution to be seen.

Managed to get some observing done last night. There was a clear but hazy spell for about an hour after sunset so I did a quick skim around of the favourites to get as much in as possible - albireo, ring, dumbbell, a quick view of the veil before it disappeared; over to a clearer area to get andromeda with one dust lane visible and its two neighbouring galaxies, double cluster, didn't get the triangulum galaxy, and finished with bodes and a cigar.

Then I viewed a couple of different whiskey varieties with Adrian and Hayden, not to mention an alcoholic ginger beer which was a first observing for me.

Slept through my alarm at 5 this morning but thankfully Adrian gave me a shout so managed to fit in a few more before sunrise - orion neb (still hazy so needed the uhc to bring it out), m35, and m36, m37, m38. Tried for a few galaxies but they weren't happening. Skies were really getting light then so I stayed up to watch the sunrise with Hayden and Robert catching it on their cameras.

Happy days :-)

Archived