Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Party 2016

Hi,

The field is in perfect condition, firm, even after a few showers. Lesley must have imported the grass from the Emerald Isle, it is a perfect green!. Will check for Shamrock in the morning, it is too dark at moment.

No stars, no midges, just fairly windy and a glass that keeps filling up with wee drams.

We will have 4 regulars of the annual SGL Star Party from Lucksall in attendance at this year's Galloway Star Party, unfortunately Alan (Mav) cannot make it, he has dog problems.

I hope they will enjoy it and that the travelling will be worth it.

Cheers

Adrian

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Ian / Adrain

Im a seasoned camper and carvaner but having never been to galloway its good to hear the conditions are good. Ive a few things to sort at the weekend such as rewiring for my dew system, setting up my battery system and fitting my remote read out screens for my budget encoder system which is the best £60 ive ever spent on my scope.

Cheers

11 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Bloomin heck big man, if nothing else, your early.

looks like you will be enjoying the space and silence(bar the geese or cows) for a while yet ?

Thought I'd got the date's wrong reading that!!!! Did a double take

Hi Damian,

Well, we had some rain during the night but it has had not effect on the site.

Turning out to be a nice day, with the sunrise over the Lake District.

Yes, you have the date correct.... I came early so that I can enjoy some peace and quiet...

I am going for a walk with Lesley and the doggie in 5 minutes.

Hope to see how pies are measured astronomically!!!!

Cheers

Adrian

Hello everyone,

Thoroughly looking forward to spending a relaxing few days in scotland.

My gear is all packed and batteries charged. I'll be driving up on sunday but due to the distance I've booked into a b&b sunday night and then I can roll into the campsite monday morning. However if by a miracle I have a straight forward drive and arrive in plenty of time I can always go straight to the campsite and pitch the tent sunday. I'll be leaving really early so fingers crossed.

Unfortunately I've been ordered to leave friday morning next week to attend my nephew's birthday party on the saturday. Gutted because I'll be missing the peak time, not to mention the pie fest, but that just means I'll have to attend the spring one to make up for it.

Good to hear you've arrived safe and sound Adrian. Hopefully you'll get some clear skies over the weekend to set up and get a view of those famous Galloway skies.

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 00:30, Demon Barber said:

Damian just to add to his misery,he tripped over a guy rope, i tried not to laugh,but i wish i`d seen that!

Mike

I have a few trip wires especially for you !!

Anybody would think I take the Mickey........

21 hours ago, Uplooker said:

How is the wi-fi working out???

On the whole it is working well   last night speedtest gave 4Mb/sec download  1Mb/sec upload  but this morning it went down to 1.5/.5  Maybe a few more people were using it.

Andy

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 23:12, Demon Barber said:

I think you should all bring some midge lotion,there getting eaten alive at Kielder , well Derek is,not convinced sun tan lotion will be needed!

Mike

haven't noticed any here though Sandra has seen quite a few wasps.

Hi Midgie fanciers,

There are a few around at the moment, it has been a very nice warm day for late October, I have been out in my shorts all day and fancy a few Whiskey shorts tonight. Met up with Andy and Sandra today, they were not aware that I was here....(truthfully I was not aware that they were here on Thursday evening neither...)

There are more high clouds out at present. Just waiting for the skies to clear. Feel it may be a wee bit colder tonight.

My new sleeping bag, a Vango Fuse 12 purchased from The Complete Outdoor Shop in Hemel Hempstead, 4-season performed very well last night on its first outing.

Speaking to Lesley at lunchtime, she was not aware that Alan had a problem with his dog and would not be attending. I showed her the thread on SGL. 

There are still places left if anybody is interested in attending Scotland's Premier Star Party.....

Must have something to eat.

Dai,

Where about are you planning the B&B stop?

All those travelling have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Ian,

I have two cans of the black stuff chilling, not the same though...

Still interested in the Tattoo Cheese and Onion crisps if it does not inconvenience you.

It is getting chiller here with high cloud, the wind has dropped completely, the guy in the caravan next to me, said that he didn't sleep too well last night because of the wind, he was awake at 03:00am and just played music on his computer for the rest of the night!

He went home at noon for a proper night's rest because he does night shifts and starts at 22:00 pm on Saturday night. 

When are coming to Dunroamin?

Must go and wash up the dinner things....

Cheers

Adrian

Hello All,not long to go now,would anyone who has to cancel please remember to give Lesley a ring,that being said we have got nine leccy pitches available and the forecast has improved for next week.

Anyone who has not been to a  Star Camp should give us a go,you will find all types of telescopes on display and a lot of knowledge on offer,Galloway is a great place to both tryout, camping ,excellent facilities,and of course the dark skies on offer ,make it an ideal first camp to see the wonders on offer,all in all were a friendly bunch which all  goes to make Galloway, Scotland`s premier Star Camp .

I am aiming to be onsite tomorrow ( Saturday ),

Looking forward to catching up with everyone,

Regards

Mike

ps Adrian,keep some midges for Derek.

Hi Mike,

I brought my midgie net with me and have managed to capture a good handful of the little sods, they have been successfully bottled and will be released in Derek's caravan!

I saw some stars tonight straight above the site, Vega, Altair and Deneb, we have high cloud at the moment.

I am drinking Famous Grouse at the moment and listening to Greek Music....... life can be strange.

Have a safe trip, no need to rush.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi,

Well, morning has broken, there is a very heavy dew on the ground, everything is soaked. No beautiful sunrise like yesterday morning.

Ready to welcome the new arrivals today.... hope they will be bringing the dark clear skies with them.

I am getting ready to go for a walk with Lesley and her dog Bud.

Hope the weather improves.

Cheers

Adrian

Safe journey to all who are going. As Mike says, a wealth of knowledge and a plethora of scopes to see. (Must think of a word which best suites a collection of scopes, murmuration, parliament, gaggle) lol, there must be a prize for the best suggestion here. Anyhoo, not gonna manage this year so have a great Star Camp folks.

David

Hi David,

You will be missed...... Who can talk through the small hours with a wee dram as good as you?

Any way, the walk with the doggie through the woods at the top of the road is interesting on a damp misty morning.

Racing off to Newton Stewart for a few essentials.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi, 

Julian arrived from Surrey, safe and well.... he set off from home at 03:00am and encountered no problem on the M6.

Jammie and Dawn from Scotland arrived and are setting up their TV aerial.....

and Mike finally made it from Newcastle and brought a few gaps in the clouds with him.

The weather is not brilliant at present, but we can cope with it.

Forgot to mention earlier that I got up at 05:05 am to see if the skies had cleared over night, what a joke, there was a very heavy dew, so I went straight back to bed.

Will report any progress....

Cheers

Adrian

Archived