Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Party 2016

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, noeliam said:

That Grass is like a carpet compared to Kielder last week :headbang: Have a gud un

Yes, Galloway has grass like a carpet.

But Kielder has good mud. Honest mud. The kind of mud that sticks to your boots and says "I'm a friend for life".

Fingers crossed that you all have a great night's imaging and viewing. I wish I was with you but work commitments prevented it. Please post photos ASAP!

Jonathan :)

2 hours ago, kenny k said:

I take it the lack of posting means we had a good Night last night folks...do tell.

Kenny

Good night. Not quite crystal. Mainly went for loads of usual stuff.

Mr fibble managed the horse head in his 1w" so we had a go in mine with his 2" H beta and got it o.k.

Biggest problem was the constant battle with dew. 

Hi,

I second Damian's comments as honest and truthful, the skies were magnificent at 03:00am this morning.... Orion was superb... M45   I better stop,

those at another star party will wish they had come to Galloway... The dark skies are dark..... And if there are clouds around they are very dark.

Is it worth the 800 mile round trip?     you bet it is.....

Ian brought me Tayto crisps from Belfast yesterday, so I am a happy bunny and it is 14:30pm.

The weather forecast for the next two nights does not look promising, so that gives us hardy souls the chance to improve our knowledge and more importantly our taste for whiskey. Scotland is wonderful...

Cheers

Adrian

Yep it was a good night. Nice milky way overhead and clear although somewhat hazy on and off with intermittent transparent spells.

I managed a few new ones, mainly the cocoon nebula in cygnus which was very faint, and a quite distinctive view of the helix nebula in aquarius even though it was low down near the horizon.

Oh and almost forgot to mention it but I got the horse head for the first time :hello2:

Then spent some time with Damian and his 22" dob where he bagged the horse head followed by a quick view of the showstoppers like m51 and m42 - the detail with his dob is incredible!

Hello campers,very late night last night,weather was not playing fair,after midnight the skies opened up and i was able to capture this image of M42,skies are again playing up but forecast is good for fri/sat/sun ,have  a safe trip over and we will see you when you arrive,watch out for the usual speed traps!

Regards 

Mike

M42Galloway-jpeg.jpg

Spent a long while trying to get my mount to plate solve and sync. For some reason after the shift from Kielder to here, the mount was not playing the game (Kielder was very milky on the one night there when the sky was clearish).  The one hour change back to GMT was found to be the cause in the end. Even though all the correct boxes ticked and set! A full reboot and power down sorted it in the end. Damian found several posts on Cloudy Nights about this problem with the 10 Micron GM1000HPS, but with no clear explanations.

Not to worry after it was sorted,  got polar alignment quickly then off to test on the Horse Head. 12 ten minute subs without guiding and tight stars.

Me, well a happy bunny at last! Clear skies and good visibility all the hours after midnight was a great help. Finished just after 0600 and away to bed.

Next couple of days are supposed  to be a bit rubbish but possibility of some clears skies on Friday night and the weekend keep hope alive.

When it is good here it is Really Very Good !

Derek

Hi Campers,

Just to dampen your enthusiasm for the wonderful dark skies here at Dunroamin Thursday and Friday night to midnight will be dark and cloudy, but according to the BBC Weather      http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2645262     The good times will be back again after that, Great.....

As Heavy Showers are predicted for this afternoon (Thursday) I am planning on looking at space videos in the games room at 15:00, if anybody would like to join me they will be more than welcome. I was thinking of viewing the Cosmos from Space, followed by the Active Sun. This will take one hour.

The commentary will be in English, so I appreciate some of you from north of Watford may experience difficulties with the language!

Hope you can join me...

Cheers

Adrian

Weather is dry still bit not seen any clear sky this am.

Just batterned the dob down in its little tent as it's not going to be any good for the next 24 hours. 

A bit of tinker time as I need to sort out my dewing on the sips.

I arrived about an hour ago having had a  four and a half hour drive and was met by Lesley who has shown me to my pitch. Shame I got here in the dark or in would have said hello to a few folk but ive had tea and unpacked the car but not had chance to set any kit up.

Despite the bad for cast the sky was 80% clear about 15mins ago so it might not be as bad a night as expected.

Cheers

Archived