Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter and moons on New Years Eve

Barv

We finally got some half decent seeing here last night so thought I'd have a go at some imaging as I was getting withdrawal symptoms.

Hope you like it.  (The moons have been pulled in a bit to enhance the image. Please click on image for full size view!

Happy New Year to all!

Regards

Harvey

post-32779-0-08756200-1451686663_thumb.p

Very nice, Harvey.

I was looking at this through my 16" Dob at around the same time and there was a 14.5 Mag star just above the two moons that were close together. Did you filter that out in the processing?

Derek

Pretty the view I had early on new years day morning the moons really  do add a nice feel to an already very good image. how did you stack the moons?

I captured the 3 moons separately from the planet, then an image of the edge of the planet with moon positions. All moons were processed individually too and pasted back in to the image. Moons were captured for 5 minutes, (should have been longer) and stacked in AS2.

Kind regards

Harvey

Very nice, Harvey.

I was looking at this through my 16" Dob at around the same time and there was a 14.5 Mag star just above the two moons that were close together. Did you filter that out in the processing?

Derek

Well spotted Derek. Yes, extensive processing lost the star! Oops!

Regards

Harvey

I captured the 3 moons separately from the planet, then an image of the edge of the planet with moon positions. All moons were processed individually too and pasted back in to the image. Moons were captured for 5 minutes, (should have been longer) and stacked in AS2.

Kind regards

Harvey

Did you just put an align box around each moon in A/S to align them?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Very nice, Harvey.

Derek

Well spotted Derek. Yes, extensive processing lost the star! Oops!

Regards

Harvey

I just read my post again and thought "how on earth did I see a 14.5 mag star that easily?" Explanation is poor memory! It was 9.5 mag. Here it is...

post-33858-0-70220300-1451737752_thumb.p

post-33858-0-92720300-1451737778_thumb.p

Pity it dropped out as it looked very interesting in the FOV.

Great image of Jupiter :grin:

N

Did you just put an align box around each moon in A/S to align them?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

No, just put a single alignment point in. I'm not totally happy with the moons tbh, I should have done longer captures as their rotation is predominantly slower than Jupiters.  (I was up all night and by this time was freezing my nuts off)! I have other data so a repro may be in order.

Regards

Harvey

I just read my post again and thought "how on earth did I see a 14.5 mag star that easily?" Explanation is poor memory! It was 9.5 mag. Here it is...

attachicon.gifimage.png

attachicon.gifimage.png

Pity it dropped out as it looked very interesting in the FOV.

Great image of Jupiter :grin:

Actually thinking about it, I don't think it actually was on the sensor, I think it was just outside. Very small fov in these C14's at nearly 10 metres focal length. 

Thanks Derek.

Regards

Harvey

Ch

What a great image Harvey!! Really liking the processing here and lovely framing along with the moons. Well done.

Pete.

Cheers Pete. Especially glad you liked it!

Regards

Harvey

Cracking shots Harvey and very nicely processed - stunning at this point in the season. :-)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Many thanks Jake. I finally got that cooling sorted. It's a pity Celestron don't warn you of these issues when you buy one. - It's taken 2 years to sort out!

Regards

Harvey

We finally got some half decent seeing here last night so thought I'd have a go at some imaging as I was getting withdrawal symptoms.

Hope you like it. (The moons have been pulled in a bit to enhance the image. Please click on image for full size view!

Happy New Year to all!

Regards

Harvey

That is incredible!

Big aperture?

I had to be at a family gathering, but did see Jupiter on the walk home.

Excellent work!

Archived