Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

We've Got It!! Elan Valley Dark Sky Park Status

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent news!  Well done.

Yet another location to add to my Dark Sky Association designated parks / reserves / places to visit to achieve my ambition of observing in every single one....But unlike some lists which only seem to get longer and that is a bad thing, new protected dark sky sites can only be thought of as good.

great news and congrats to all who put in the hard work....Now can you come and sort Stoke out please ;)

Can I put Nottinghamshire on the list as well please.

The county council and some residents are frightened of the dark!

congrats sam, didnt see that, but i have been on nights, are you in the pic sam ?

Didn't go to that one, unfortunately.

That event was run by Les (Wyvern on SGL) and Kris Fry, who were the amateur astronomers that put the application together, did the dark sky readings, surveys, etc.  On top of full time jobs as well, I don't know how they did it!!

At the initial dark skies meeting, we were told it could cost up to £40k to produce an application; in our case it cost much less.

The lesson we hope that has been learned here is that anyone who is passionate about preserving their night skies can do something about it, provided that they have proof of backing from various professional bodies. :)

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments and wishes.

A great deal of thanks also goes to John Barentine of the IDA who was ever patient and unbelievably helpful in the application process. He kept us on track and showed where and how the application needed to be compiled.......... Hell, I'm just a Bus Driver and have never in my life put together something like this before.  We ( "Mrs Wyvern" and I), took on the application from Sorcha Lewis who initiated the process, so due credit for her input also.

To RLWP - Oh - do they put the sky away on other nights?....... Yes, on rainy nights we do as we don't want to wear it out !!!!

To auspom - great news and congrats to all who put in the hard work....Now can you come and sort Stoke out please  ;)............. No !!!, I'm taking a couple of years off to recharge batteries. :grin: Sorry.

Regards to all,

Les

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments and wishes.

A great deal of thanks also goes to John Barentine of the IDA who was ever patient and unbelievably helpful in the application process. He kept us on track and showed where and how the application needed to be compiled.......... Hell, I'm just a Bus Driver and have never in my life put together something like this before.  We ( "Mrs Wyvern" and I), took on the application from Sorcha Lewis who initiated the process, so due credit for her input also.

To RLWP - Oh - do they put the sky away on other nights?....... Yes, on rainy nights we do as we don't want to wear it out !!!!

To auspom - great news and congrats to all who put in the hard work....Now can you come and sort Stoke out please  ;)............. No !!!, I'm taking a couple of years off to recharge batteries. :grin: Sorry.

Regards to all,

Les

nice one les

I thought you had a different sky for rain, one full of little holes

Where are good viewing places in the valley?

Richard

Hi Richard,

At the moment, the best places are mainly some of the road side pull ins or car parks near the dams. One of the tasks to get in motion shortly will be the creation of 4-5 specific viewing sites around the EV IDSP that will offer some degree of protection for observers against wind and keep the native wildlife out.  For suggested obs sites, my personal favourites would be either Claerwen Dam grid ref 870634, though you will not have a flat horizon to horizon view here, as in many of the Elan sites because of the nature of the region, or try the pull in  near Penrhiw-wen at 921708.  If you come into the SW corner of the DS Park, the "Teifi Pools" road, go right to the end of it....... an "interesting driving experience" in itself, and try around 795680.  Enjoy....... as we do.

Les

Hi Richard,

At the moment, the best places are mainly some of the road side pull ins or car parks near the dams. One of the tasks to get in motion shortly will be the creation of 4-5 specific viewing sites around the EV IDSP that will offer some degree of protection for observers against wind and keep the native wildlife out.  For suggested obs sites, my personal favourites would be either Claerwen Dam grid ref 870634, though you will not have a flat horizon to horizon view here, as in many of the Elan sites because of the nature of the region, or try the pull in  near Penrhiw-wen at 921708.  If you come into the SW corner of the DS Park, the "Teifi Pools" road, go right to the end of it....... an "interesting driving experience" in itself, and try around 795680.  Enjoy....... as we do.

Les

that was the first place i went to les, great views except to the east. no wind there at all lovely spot :smiley:

Thanks Les.

I'm not sure how you can make this work - white light is a damn nuisance to astronomers, so roadside locations with passing traffic could be a problem. Your end of the road location sounds good

Richard

Archived