NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A Brace of Skylights!

Odd Thomas

After what seemed like a year (but was in fact around 6 weeks) my two new scopes from Skylight Telescopes have arrived.

A 6" f15 refractor and a 4" Skylight/Daystar H-alpha solar scope.

When they arrived and I first saw the 6" I was speechless! It is absolutely huge at over 8 feet long!

Both are a sheer joy to look at and I know I'll get as much pleasure looking at them as I will through them. The engineering is amazing. As each 6 is made to order I specced finder rings to suit my Stellarvue RACI finder which I think suits it well.

They are a retirement present to myself, and in time, the 6" will be housed in an observatory dedicated to my late mother from whom I got my interest in astronomy. Meantime I've got a Fullerscopes Mk 4 mount which I'm refurbing to hopefully do the 6" proud. A couple of pics, alongside my 8SE, to try and give an impression of the size.

I just need some decent weather now!

Tom

post-7724-0-15667500-1344970213_thumb.jp

post-7724-0-28132800-1344970232_thumb.jp

post-7724-0-85008700-1344970253_thumb.jp

Fantastic looking scopes Tom - congratulations !

You will need a really substantial mount for that 6" - the Fullerscopes Mk 4 should be up to it though :smiley:

Please post more pics in due course - scopes like that deserve to be seen widely !

Wow, nice one Tom. What beautiful telescopes! I really look forward to reading your first light reports, particularly with the Skylight 6. And to echo John, more pics please :).

EDIT - reread your original post and realised that you have the 8SE in the pic and not a 4SE! That Skylight 6 is big :eek: :eek: :eek: ! I have an 8SE too, so that really puts it in context for me now ....gonna need a bigger garden before I can manage one of those!

EDIT - Any preliminary thoughts on what form your planned obsy will take?

What a retirement present, hats off to you sir!:) I look forward to seeing pics of the 6" mounted, and I wish you luck with first light, I imagine the planets and doubles are going to look rather good:)

very nice, they're stunning looking instruments. i can only imagine the views through them!

i'd like to wish you a happy retirement and many hours of enjoyment with your new toys.

Marki, ha, yes it's an 8 not a 4! the things a beast! We are planning to move house in the next couple of years so the obsy here will be a simple roll off roof type. I've got grand plans for the 'proper' one though when we eventually find somewhere decent to put it. It will be similar to the scopes as in it will be as pleasing to look at as it will be to use.

Archived