NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Afternoon!

rev_dom

Just thought I'd pop in and say hello! I'm completely new to astronomy, and am getting a telescope for my birthday next month - can't wait to get started with it (and fully expect to be bamboozled and confused, and probably to spend ages trying to work out how to point the thing in the right general direction!)

I'm in the UK, in Essex, and the telescope I'm getting is a Skywatcher 200/1000 eq5. So excited!

Anyway, hello!

Dom

Hi Dom and welcome to the forum. One solution to your possible future observing difficulties is to get hold of a copy of Turn Left at Orion which details some 100 objects that can be easily found with modest equipment. There are written instruction along with maps to help you locate these objects that are dived among the four seasons of the year - so there's always something to see. You can take a look here if you want to check out the layout. Like everything else, if you take your time and practice regularly you will soon make sense of where most of the objects and constellations are.

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum. Don't forget to ask for help if you get a bit stuck.

Greetings & Welcome to SGL! We L*O*V*E* questions from folks here, so please don't be shy about asking.

That's a great scope to not only learn your way about with but with the 200mm primary-mirror, you have a scope that's quite capable of never running out of new things to see up there. Many folks stay right there at 200mm. And we'll be here once the scope has arrived and you've had "First Light" with it - and you begin to ponder how to..... You'll see! :p

Clear Skies!

Dave

Hi Dom,

Welcome to SGL. Great scope you have chosen there, will serve you well. If you have not used an eq mount before there are plenty of guides online to help  eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdkB5NCnFps

If you have not done so download a planetarium program, lots out there but try stellarium, its great and free, to be found here :-- http://www.stellarium.org/

Hi and welcome

That's a great scope especially if you can get a better eyepiece or two in time. I love using mine and have had some fabulous views

As you can see from the relies this is the place for help and advice. I've found out some really useful stuff here

Thank you all for the warm welcome, and the great advice! Sounds like I've chosen a good scope - I definitely wanted something to grow into, and I'm hoping I won't find it too confusing to use. If I do, I know who to ask!

Now, off to read some tutorials, and watch some videos, and wait for my birthday :)

Hi Dom and welcome to SGL, enjoy your new scope when it arrives, a very popular and well used instrument on the forum. The only upgrade you may want to make, is to invest in some better eye pieces than those supplied :)

Greetings Dom and welcome to SGL! There are many excellent resources out there to help you get started - not the least of which is the great advice to be found on this forum. A handy little app (if you have an android smartphone or tablet) is one called Mobile Observatory available at the Google Play Store. I've found myself using the "Tonight's Best" feature quite a bit to decide which object(s) I'll go for on a particular night. It gives you the altitude at the time it will cross the meridian which is important for imaging since you want to go for objects well above the horizon in order to minimize the effects of atmospheric disturbance.

Good luck with your new scope and may the dreaded "new equipment curse" not rear its ugly head once it arrives...

Clear Skies :)

Archived